Shameless eBay plug

  • Joe McGlynn
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
    • yomaxhammers
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
        I have no Pullmax parts for sale. The major heads are differant than
        the P9. I will try and post some photos of the YOMAX POWER HAMMER
        today Ray Stanley
      • Terry Cowan
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2004
          At 07:29 AM 2/1/04, you wrote:
          >I have no Pullmax parts for sale. The major heads are differant than
          >the P9. I will try and post some photos of the YOMAX POWER HAMMER
          >today Ray Stanley

          Ray,

          Your YoMax hammer is a work of art! Very innovative and very well carried out.

          I would love to see more -- especially the clutch.

          Did you take any photos of the entire process?

          Thanks for sharing,

          Terry

          202f368.jpg
          202f449.jpg
        • yomaxhammers
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
            --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Terry Cowan <terry@m...> wrote:
            > At 07:29 AM 2/1/04, you wrote:
            > >I have no Pullmax parts for sale. The major heads are differant
            than
            > >the P9. I will try and post some photos of the YOMAX POWER HAMMER
            > >today Ray Stanley
            >

            > Ray,
            >
            > Your YoMax hammer is a work of art! Very innovative and very well
            carried out.

            > I would love to see more -- especially the clutch.
            >
            > Did you take any photos of the entire process?
            >
            > Thanks for sharing,
            >
            > Terry
            > THANK YOU TERRY I DO HAVE SOME PHOTOS DURING THE BUILD BUT I WILL
            NEED TO SCAN THEM TO POST THEM. THIS MACHINE HAS BEEN COMPLETED FOR
            ABOUT A YEAR. I PLANNED TO BUILD THEM FOR SALE BUT I THINK I WILL
            ONLY BEABLE TO COMPLETE MACHINE #2.
            THE MAJOR FRAMES CAN BE HARD TO FIND BUT SHOULD SELL FOR AROUND
            $1000 DEPENDING ON THE MACHINE. THEY ARE BIG! IN THE BACK GROUND IS
            A P6 UNDER PLASITIC. THE COMPLETED YOMAX WEIGHT IS 2TON.
            WHEN I THOUGHT I MIGHT BE BUILDING SEVERAL OF THE MACHINES FOR SALE
            I DID NOT WANT TO SHARE A THE ENGINEERING WORK I DID BUT I WILL NOW.
            I HAD EMAIL THE MANUFACTURER OF THE CLUTCH CONTROLS TRYING TO
            COME UP WITH THE RIGHT PARTS BUT KIND OF GOT THE BRUSH OFF. I EMAILD
            THEM A FEW WEEKS LATER AND TOLD THEM I WAS RETROFITTING A MACHINE
            FOR A HANDICAPED PERSON AND HOW MUCH IT WOULD MEAN TO BILL TO GET
            BACK TO WORK. IT WORKED. THEY HELP ME GET THE RIGHT COMPONETS TO GET
            IT TO WORK THE WAY I WANTED IT TO.
            ONE OF THE BIGGEST CHALANGES WAS THE WORK ON THE MAJOR FRAME MY
            FRIEND JOE BASSETT OF BASSETT WELDING IN BARRE MASS DID THAT WORK.
            JOE IS A MASTER HEAVY FABRICATOR!! ANY METAL SHAPER NEAR CENTRAL
            MASS THAT WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT IS INVITED TO MY SHOP.
            I HAVE A FEW IDEAS OF HOW TO DO THIS LOW BUCK WITH JUNK YARD
            AUTOMOTIVE PARTS I WILL POST LATER. RAY STANLEY

            > 202f368.jpg
            > 202f449.jpg
          • Terry Cowan
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
              At 07:06 AM 2/2/04, you wrote:
              > I HAVE A FEW IDEAS OF HOW TO DO THIS LOW BUCK WITH JUNK YARD
              >AUTOMOTIVE PARTS I WILL POST LATER. RAY STANLEY.

              That fits many of our pocketbooks better!

              I tried for a while to find a different clutch for my Pettingell and
              thought I had just the thing with an air clutch. The manufacturer worked
              with me real well up to a point and then all of a sudden said it wouldn't
              work for my application. I'd still like to come up with something else...so
              I'm eager to see what your solution was.

              Thanks,

              Terry
            • Joe McGlynn
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                I'm leaning toward a VFD for mine...has anyone run a VFD-based hammer?  Any report on how they work compared to a clutch hammer?

                IDEAS OF HOW TO DO THIS LOW BUCK WITH JUNK YARD
                >AUTOMOTIVE PARTS I WILL
                POST LATER. RAY STANLEY.

                That fits many of our pocketbooks better!

                I tried for a while to find a different clutch for my Pettingell and
                thought I had just the thing with an air clutch. The manufacturer worked
                with me real well up to a point and then all of a sudden said it wouldn't
                work for my application. I'd still like to come up with something else...so
                I'm eager to see what your solution was.

                Thanks,

                Terry

                If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for NO EMAIL at the following link:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ian
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                  That sounds interesting.

                  > I HAVE A FEW IDEAS OF HOW TO DO THIS LOW BUCK WITH JUNK YARD
                  > AUTOMOTIVE PARTS I WILL POST LATER. RAY STANLEY

                • Danny Pascoe
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                    Could you use an automotive type clutch out of a mini car or some thing on that order as Jacin would say just thinking out loud Dan Pascoe www.creativebillet.com

                    Joe McGlynn <me@...> wrote:
                    I'm leaning toward a VFD for mine...has anyone run a VFD-based hammer?  Any report on how they work compared to a clutch hammer?

                    >   I HAVE A FEW IDEAS OF HOW TO DO THIS LOW BUCK WITH JUNK YARD
                    >AUTOMOTIVE PARTS I WILL POST LATER. RAY STANLEY.

                    That fits many of our pocketbooks better!

                    I tried for a while to find a different clutch for my Pettingell and
                    thought I had just the thing with an air clutch. The manufacturer worked
                    with me real well up to a point and then all of a sudden said it wouldn't
                    work for my application. I'd still like to come up with something else...so
                    I'm eager to see what your solution was.

                    Thanks,

                    Terry

                    If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for NO EMAIL at the following link:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for �NO EMAIL� at the following link:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • yomaxhammers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 2004
                      --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Danny Pascoe
                      <carbuilder22001@y...> wrote:
                      > Could you use an automotive type clutch out of a mini car or some
                      thing on that order as Jacin would say just thinking out loud Dan
                      Pascoe www.creativebillet.com

                      > Joe McGlynn <me@j...> wrote:I'm leaning toward a VFD for
                      mine...has anyone run a VFD-based hammer? Any report on how they
                      work compared to a clutch hammer?

                      Joe the advantage of a clutch is the speed can be controled much
                      better if you can get the right slip out of it. In my opinion a VFD
                      has no value on a pullmax and would be awkward at best on a power
                      hammer. I feel the motor needs to disengage or it will act as a
                      flywheel and the machine will not be responsive. You could do the
                      same thing with a mecanical cluch but you WILL have more heat and
                      more linkage a fly wheel,Pressure plate and more rotating mass that
                      will make the machine less responsive and more mantinance intensive.
                      I would suggest a electric clutch from a automotive AC commpressor
                      as a low buck approach 12v power applied will engage it. A foot
                      controlled reostat that will supply 0-12 V should give the right
                      amount of slipage. Sure there is a whole new set of problems but
                      thats the fun. Right?
                      If you have one of the old Power hammers and do not want to drop
                      $2000 on a hyd. set up plus rebuild the clutch a electric clutch is
                      clearly the way to go.
                      I worked hard to get this right and you get it for free.
                      Warner Electric UM 100-1040 clutch Max rpm 3600 volts 90 DC $554
                      W-E ADJ Torque control (TC) 6010-448-002 MCS-103-1 $146
                      W-E Rheostat 6010-101-002 $53
                      Wire Machine for soft stop for Electrically released brake (easy
                      shown papers W/ torque control)
                      One rheostat is in the TC this one will control the location in
                      your foot control where the machine will engage. Set it so you just
                      have no slip when the foot control is fully depressed. The other
                      Rheo will need to go into a foot control. I used a TIG welding foot
                      control.
                      You must have a C-face motor to mount the Cluch to.
                      I have the Metal Craft Power hammer componets on the YOMAX. You
                      apply power to bring the machine to speed. Want to slow it down?
                      fully back off and apply power to get the speed you want to run.
                      This can be done while the machine is still in motion. The faster it
                      runs the harder it hits. Set it up to hit hard @ full RPM, slip it
                      to planish. If you can not control the RPMS you need to do at least
                      2 set ups. This is why clutch control is inportant. If you want to
                      make it easier to bring it to the right speed more mass can be added
                      to the rotating componets. I will suggest a automotive harmonic
                      balancer in place of a pully. The trade off is it takes longer to
                      slow down. I have the pully that came with the kit. I would not add
                      more to mine but the harmonic bal. could be used in other sets ups
                      if you are having a hard time getting the speed you wish.
                      I think the kit with the slipping belt will be fine for most
                      people. Metal Craft Tools have some great tools and Cal Davis was a
                      big help to me.
                      I have heard some critisium on how the dies are retained with the
                      set screws. (My spelling too)I made my own dies. I made them so they
                      need a light tap to get in place and I cut a flat for the set screw
                      to sit flat on and I have never had a die get loose.
                      RAY STANLEY