Re: [metalshapers] Re: newbie...

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
      Jacin in Ohio,

      Thank you for your reply, since I am new to this sort of thing, I'll most likely try to learn
      the basics of what can be done with hand tools. The fancy expensive machines can wait
      for now. Since I have a endless supply of different types of steel at my place of employment,
      (scrap pieces of heavy tubing drops, etc.) I may in the future build my own machines.
      The company I work for has pretty nice machine shop too, and a few favors can sure help.

      Jim

    • jon thompson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
        I actually got to meet John Toom at a Scott Knight
        seminar many years ago. I did not know he was gone. He
        was a really cool guy. I think he was working for west
        coast nissan at the time we met. The car pictured here
        is the car he was talking about building at that time.
        It is beautiful. I am sorry he is gone.
        Jon T
        --- Terry Cowan <terry@...> wrote:
        > Group,
        >

        > John Toom's car is being shown at the Art Center
        > College of Design in
        > Pasadena, CA on July 20. It is a special classic car
        > design show for the students (and public). I spoke
        > to Jan (John's widow)
        > yesterday, and she said she is especially honored
        > because it
        > is only open to "the finest in automotive design,
        > with top designers and
        > beautiful examples of their work."
        >
        > She said the car is looking very good (almost
        > complete). Construction photo
        > attached.
        >
        > I hope someone in the group can be our roving
        > reporter and gets pics for us.
        >
        > Terry Cowan
        >

        > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=aro-1.jpg;
        x-mac-type=4A504547; x-mac-creator=4A565752

        > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/jpeg name=aro-1-2.jpg;
        x-mac-type=4A504547; x-mac-creator=4A565752

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Terry Cowan
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2003
          I never had the opportunity to meet him -- but everyone I talk to has
          nothing but great things to say about him. The guy who own's the car says
          he was the greatest craftsman he had ever met. His shop is still in use and
          I'm working on getting photos of all the tools and equipment for the albums.

          Check out his e-wheel.

          Notice the lower adjuster made of diamond plate almost touching the
          floor. Not many people will trip over that
          one!

          Terry

          At 03:47 PM 7/1/03 -0700, you wrote:
          >I actually got to meet John Toom at a Scott Knight
          >seminar many years ago. I did not know he was gone. He
          >was a really cool guy. I think he was working for west
          >coast nissan at the time we met. The car pictured here
          >is the car he was talking about building at that time.
          >It is beautiful. I am sorry he is gone.ileges -- send an e-mail to:

        • Steven Winnett
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2003
            Terry,
            I will be at the "Designing for Speed" function at Art Center on the
            20th. It is one of the "field trips" that Peter Tomashevski and I
            are taking the 2 interns that are working with us from McPherson
            College this summer on. I'll have Peter report on the event and post
            some pictures next week.

            Steven Winnett
            In So Cal Behind the Orange Curtain
          • Terry Cowan