Re: [metalshapers] Stopping tools from rusting??

  • occupant
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1 4:08 AM
      I've been told that a fan running in the shop at all times to circulate the air works wonders to prevent condensation from forming, thereby preventing rust.

      Roland
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1 6:31 AM
        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Imm0rtal2000@a... wrote:
        > MSC Has a product called RUST LICK it works great you can hose tools
        down
        > with water and spray with RUST LICK and it will not rust .

        ImmOrtal - What is MSC and where can I find this product? My tools
        on my service truck are a fright! At times it looks as though it
        rains in there......I guess when I think about it, IT DOES RAIN IN
        THERE AT TIMES. I would like to learn more about this product.
        Thanks
        Charlie
        Detroit
      • Imm0rtal2000@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1 7:06 AM
          Charlie When I get home from the shop tonight I will send you there phone number .
          If i get a chance  will get part number also.   Thankyou matt
        • bl55303@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1 8:15 AM
            Go to one of the home whaterers and by a dehumitfier for your shop.  In the summer mine will take out 14  pints of water each day.   Mills stay rust free.  $125   will get you up and runing.  And you have good water for the wifes plants!!!!!!!!
          • Brian Burke
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1 9:47 AM
              Re: [metalshapers] Stopping tools from rusting?? Where can you find this stuff?

              From: Imm0rtal2000@...
              Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:10:15 -0500 (EST)
              To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [metalshapers] Stopping tools from rusting??

              MSC Has a product called RUST LICK it works great you can hose tools down with water and spray with RUST LICK and it will not rust .
              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

              If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for “NO EMAIL” at the following link:

            • Ken Christianson
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1 12:39 PM
                Wonderful product for tools and anything else you want to keep from rusting: Boeshield T-9 .  Originallly produced by Boeing Aircraft to keep parts and tooling rust-free.  Works great.

                If you are keeping tools in a cabinet, you might consider finding some camellia oil (available from better fine woodworking suppliers).  This is traditional Japanese treatment for keeping things bright.  I have used it in the past by putting the oil on a cloth wadded into a 3" dia bamboo piece about 6" long - just put it in a drawer of the tool chest and forget it.  This worked to keep rust off of the tools in the chest for over 10 years.  The same bamboo/cloth can be used as an applicator for ways and other machine surfaces.  Simple, easy, efficient, not expensive - hard to ask for more.

                Ken in California

              • Bozhawg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1 5:32 PM
                  Thats What I do . I have a 20 inch box window fan and when it gets foggy outside I go out to the shop turn it on low and let it run. Seems to help a good bit.

                     Vic in Ga.
                    BTW What is going on in Aniston at the end of March?
                • Bozhawg@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 1 5:47 PM
                      Just to clarify, I don't have the fan in the window, when useing to dehumidify.  :)
                            Vic in Ga
                  • Kerry Pinkerton

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1 7:14 PM
                        MSC phone number is 1-800-645-7270
                        Order number  00269035   1 gallon it is 18.00$
                        It is called Rust Lick 631
                                                                              Matt
                      • rdanz1 <rdanzey@nalu.net>
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 2 9:09 AM
                          I think the key factor is the dewpoint, which has something to do with
                          humidity in the air and the temperature. Under the right conditions
                          condensation can occur and rust follows. I think<G>...

                          Anyway, I wonder if there isn't some sort of sensor that can determine
                          when conditions are about to verge into the range where condensation
                          happens--sort of like the thermostat you plug into the wall and then
                          plug your 'torpedo' heater into the thermostat. I's just a temperture
                          controlled switch that turns on the heater when the temp goes down far
                          enough. What I'd like to see is a switch that recognizes when
                          conditions are right for condensation and would turn on a fan, or even
                          an electric heater or light bulb. Can it be done, economically?

                          danz

                          --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Bozhawg@a... wrote:
                          > Just to clarify, I don't have the fan in the window, when useing
                          > dehumidify. :)
                          > Vic in Ga
                        • GHS
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 3 12:24 AM
                            Ask your local HVAC guy for a
                            DE-humidistat .

                            Mike Graf

                            --
                            my website is
                            http://www.execpc.com/~ghs/

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 3 8:00 AM
                                Re: [metalshapers] Stopping tools from rusting?? Any contacts on buying this stuff?

                                From: Howard Christian <ppsi@...>
                                Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:00:56 -0500
                                To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com

                                if (document.domain.indexOf("yahoo.com") != -1) document.domain="yahoo.com"; var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247110.3002362.4362645.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705062985:HM/A=1476504/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://ads.addynamix.com/click/2-2127480-35?"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/my/myfamily/300x250_who-text_2.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247110.3002362.4362645.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705062985:HM/A=1476504/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://ads.addynamix.com/click/2-2127480-36?"; var lrec_altimg = "http://ads.addynamix.com/creative/2-2127480-36?"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 3 9:37 AM
                                  It is called CP90 from CarWells 1-800-856-6798 is what is on the bottle. Good luck - Howard C