Re: [metalshapers] Sun-n-Fun Fly-in

  • glbwelding@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
      Pat I plan on coming down again but will be in the welding tent look forward
      to seeing you again. George Biang
    • Mike Shambarger
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
        Well Terry I don't know about the DFW area but know where there are some 37
        Ply P/U fenders in Austin <G>.The far back corner of the shop .
        Mike

        Group,

        I am working on a project to build some 1933-1937 Dodge rear pickup fenders.

        I have a set of glass fenders as a guide -- and my 1933 coupe fenders. But
        it would sure be good if I had a set of actual pick-up fenders -- or even
        better -- an actual pick-up.

        Does anyone know of any Dodge trucks in the Dallas -- Fort Worth area?

        Terry Cowan

        If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
        privileges -- simply edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following
        link:

        To leave the group and discontinue all membership privileges -- send an
        e-mail to: metalshapers-unsubscribe@...

      • Terry Cowan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
          Well -- here we have a new year and a nice clean slate -- so here are some
          thoughts for my new years resolutions:

          1.Get off the computer and out of the office an into the shop much more.

          2. Get our MSA server vs software issue resolved once and for all and
          update the web community software (that's the software that runs the
          albums, registration, member website, polls etc)

          3. Get the discussion group software purchased and move the Yahoo
          discussion to the new software on our own server.

          4. In light of the recent findings at the Duke University regarding the
          Adkins diet, I resolve to eat more steak, roast beef, standing rib roasts,
          ham, and bacon (smile)

          5. Get my metalshaping library in order an organized so I can actually find
          something when I need to. I've been sorting through the mounds of
          literature and books I've collected over the past 25 or so years, and have
          begun labeling and re-labeling file folders. An indication of just how long
          it's been since I started the file folders was the size of type I used then
          and now (smile). What difference decade or two makes.

          I hope everyone is having a good new year so far.

          I just got in new pics from Ron Fournier (attached -- Solid riveted
          construction was used to create unique bucket seats.)

          I'll put the rest of the picks on his album later today.

          Terry Cowan
        • unklian <voicesinmyhead@dwp.net>
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
            You forgot the pic,Terry.Ooopps.

            --- In
            metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Terry Cowan <terry@m...> wrote:
            > Well -- here we have a new year and a nice clean slate -- so here
            are some
            > thoughts for my new years resolutions:
            >
            > 1.Get off the computer and out of the office an into the shop much
            more.

            > 2. Get our MSA server vs software issue resolved once and for all
            and
            > update the web community software (that's the software that runs
            the
            > albums, registration, member website, polls etc)
            >
            > 3. Get the discussion group software purchased and move the Yahoo
            > discussion to the new software on our own server.
            >
            > 4. In light of the recent findings at the Duke University regarding
            the
            > Adkins diet, I resolve to eat more steak, roast beef, standing rib
            roasts,
            > ham, and bacon (smile)
            >
            > 5. Get my metalshaping library in order an organized so I can
            actually find
            > something when I need to. I've been sorting through the mounds of
            > literature and books I've collected over the past 25 or so years,
            and have
            > begun labeling and re-labeling file folders. An indication of just
            how long
            > it's been since I started the file folders was the size of type I
            used then
            > and now (smile). What difference decade or two makes.
            >
            > I hope everyone is having a good new year so far.
            >
            > I just got in new pics from Ron Fournier (attached -- Solid riveted
            > construction was used to create unique bucket seats.)
            >
            > I'll put the rest of the picks on his album later today.
            >

            > Terry Cowan
          • terry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
              At 12:18 PM 1/1/03 -0600, you wrote:
              >Well -- here we have a new year and a nice clean slate -- so here are some
              >thoughts for my new years resolutions:
              >
              >1.Get off the computer and out of the office an into the shop much more.
              >
              >2. Get our MSA server vs software issue resolved once and for all and
              >update the web community software (that's the software that runs the
              >albums, registration, member website, polls etc)
              >
              >3. Get the discussion group software purchased and move the Yahoo
              >discussion to the new software on our own server.
              >
              >4. In light of the recent findings at the Duke University regarding the
              >Adkins diet, I resolve to eat more steak, roast beef, standing rib roasts,
              >ham, and bacon (smile)
              >
              >5. Get my metalshaping library in order an organized so I can actually find
              >something when I need to. I've been sorting through the mounds of
              >literature and books I've collected over the past 25 or so years, and have
              >begun labeling and re-labeling file folders. An indication of just how long
              >it's been since I started the file folders was the size of type I used then
              >and now (smile). What difference decade or two makes.
              >
              >I hope everyone is having a good new year so far.
              >
              >I just got in new pics from Ron Fournier (attached -- Solid riveted
              >construction was used to create unique bucket seats.)
              >
              >I'll put the rest of the picks on his album later today.
              >

              >Terry Cowan
            • Terry Cowan

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                  Mike,

                  Hmmm -- old buddy old pal -- I think I see a trip to Austin in my future.
                  Do you know Kees Talon in Austin? He used to have several Dodges.

                  Later today -- I'll post a couple pics of what Tracey Copeland and I did
                  yesterday on the fender project. We built an experimental Pullmax tool for
                  forming a portion of the fenders. It 's a long way from being finished --
                  but as crude as it is -- it still worked remarkably well. Now I'm
                  encouraged to build a more elaborate version.

                  Terry

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                    We've talked some about soldering aluminum -- but I think it was mostly in
                    reference to using tinning process with a flux specially formulated for
                    aluminum. Somewhere in all my reference materials I even have the formula
                    for making the flux.

                    If I am repeating myself here and/or if anyone has already answered these
                    questions -- just humor me please.

                    However -- there was another process that did not use flux at all. It seems
                    like we may have discussed this also at some point.

                    Swiss Laboratory made a product they called Fil-solder. It was claimed to
                    be able to fill any metal (including Aluminum) without the use of flux and
                    with 70% less heat.

                    Does anyone in the group have any information on Fil-solder? I'm looking
                    for ads, catalogs, old boxes, packaging, brochures magazine articles,
                    patent numbers -- anything.

                    I remember discussing Swiss Laboratories a while back -- but I can't
                    remember if we ever determined their final fate. At one time they were
                    located in Cleveland, OH. Most likely they were bought out by someone. Like
                    I said -- please humor me if this has already been answered.

                    Another one I'm still looking for information on is the Glaser 2-in-1 Hot
                    Tinning Stick. This just appears to be flux and solder in a stick form (a
                    solidified from of tinning powder). Does anyone have any info on this stuff?

                    Then, in the early '30s Fairmount had a product they called No. 831
                    Aluminum Tinning Body-Fill Metal. They claimed that "Acids or flux should
                    not be used for tinning on aluminum." They claimed that the 831 material
                    would tin the surface of aluminum with just the heat of a torch and by
                    rubbing it with a special tinning tool (which appears to be nothing than a
                    common screw driver). They cautioned not to use "wadding". I'm curious,
                    exactly what the term "wadding" is referring to. Steel wool is sometimes
                    called steel wading -- but wadding usually applies to cotton and wool products.

                    Does anyone have any old samples of Fairmont 831? Or anything relating to
                    it? Does anyone have a Fairmount #838 special tool for spreading aluminum
                    tinning material?

                    One of my new years resolutions is to update and re-publish the old Auto
                    Body Solder book. So I'm still trying to dig up info on how it was done in
                    the old days. So if anyone has anything they would like to contribute to
                    the book, including photos taken in your shop -- let me know.

                    Of course, LEAD-FREE solders will be covered. I know we've discussed this
                    some in the past -- but if anyone in the group has much experience using
                    lead-free solders -- and would like to give some comparisons -- that would
                    be great.

                    Pardon the cross-post to Metalshapers and the Autobody group -- but this
                    applies to both groups and we do have a number of members who don't cross over.

                    Thanks,

                    Terry
                  • lorenastancarter@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Terry the wadding is the only thing that i have any
                      thing that resembles and it is a lead wool kind of like steel wool i will se
                      if i can find it for you
                      and several cans of tinning stuff like lead or tin flakes in a liquid of
                      some sort all old and someplace in my junk i will let you know how the hunt
                      goes
                      Stan
                    • tdcopeland9@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                        terry,       did you say road trip?       tc junior
                      • lorenastancarter@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                          Terry we found some of the stuff in the first place we
                          looked it was still in the swap meet bag from 18 years ago never took it out
                          in the picture is the lead wool (no orig. box) and a can of tinning compound
                          label say zinc chloride (toxic) there was also several plastic containers of
                          swift 50/50 solder in paste form long solidified and leaking there were
                          several other cans that whatever was in them ate its way out dont know if
                          this helps let me know if you need any of this stuff
                          Stan
                        • Chris Bridgland
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                            Terry
                            I use aluminium-zinc brazing rods for joining aluminium. They are sold
                            in Australia under the name Techni-2000.
                            They melt at a very low temperature compared to aluminium and so can be
                            used with a propane-air torch. They do not require flux.

                            you can get detailed info about the product at www.techni2000.cjb.net
                            Cheers
                            Chris

                            terry wrote:

                            > We've talked some about soldering aluminum -- but I think it was mostly in
                            > reference to using tinning process with a flux specially formulated for
                            > aluminum. Somewhere in all my reference materials I even have the formula
                            > for making the flux.
                            >
                            > If I am repeating myself here and/or if anyone has already answered these
                            > questions -- just humor me please.
                            >
                            > However -- there was another process that did not use flux at all. It seems
                            > like we may have discussed this also at some point.
                            >
                            > (snip)
                          • Terry Cowan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                              he he -- hey I thought you might pick up on that!

                              Group -- here is the fender we were working on yesterday.

                              We just marked off areas to make profile gauges -- and began making some
                              Pullmax tooling.

                              I'm tweaking the dies a little now -- and will post them and a test piece
                              later.

                              Terry

                              At 06:32 PM 1/1/03 -0500, you wrote:
                              >terry, did you say road trip? tc junior
                              >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705062985:HM/A=1389613/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5799,FF.html>ab44cc3.jpg
                              >
                              >ab44d5d.jpg
                              >
                              >If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
                              >privileges -- simply edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following link:
                              >
                              >To leave the group and discontinue all membership privileges -- send an
                              >e-mail to: metalshapers-unsubscribe@...

                              Terry Cowan
                            • Marty Sims
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                                Hi,

                                I'm new to the mailing list as of a couple of days
                                ago. Can you tell me more about this event or point
                                me to a website that has the info?

                                Thanks,
                                Marty Sims
                                Birmingham, AL

                                --- glbwelding@... wrote:
                                > Pat I plan on coming down again but will be in the
                                > welding tent look forward
                                > to seeing you again. George Biang
                                >
                                > If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to
                                > maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your
                                > membership for �NO EMAIL� at the following link:

                                > To leave the group and discontinue all membership
                                > privileges -- send an e-mail to:

                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                              • terry
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 1, 2003
                                  Here is the first die set Tracey and I came up with. I'll try to do a
                                  sample panel tomorrow and get pics. This die set will shrink the edge and
                                  put a compound curve in a panel.

                                  Terry
                                • Pat Groover
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003

                                    Hi Marty and Jeff.  the sun-n-fun wed site is www.sun-n-fun.org You can learn a lot from here.  As for what we do..... We have a 40 x 60 tent into which I haul tools for about three days.  Our purpose is to answer questions and do demonstrations covering the same question for anyone that comes into the tent.  In other words, we teach and give away secrets of metal shaping.  This is a hands on workshop where the visitor is encouraged to use the tools under supervision for as long as they want to stay in the tent.  There are rules we must abide by also.  We sell nothing from the workshop, but we can give out our cards.  New volunteers must pay their way in the first year, if they come back they get free passes the next year. now that I said that here is what we realy do.  If a volunteer plans to stay for the whole week and work his time in the tent we will make exceptions.  In other words, If you tell me you will work at least half a day for each day of the week you will receive a free pass for the week.  This is also a learning time for us.  we learn from each other as we demo.  The members that attended last year had a great time.  If you need more info please contact me at phg111@...

                                    Pat

                                    --- glbwelding@... wrote:
                                    > Pat I plan on coming down again but will be in the
                                    > welding tent look forward
                                    > to seeing you again. George Biang
                                    >
                                    > If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to
                                    > maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your
                                    > membership for �NO EMAIL� at the following link:

                                    > To leave the group and discontinue all membership
                                    > privileges -- send an e-mail to:

                                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    Do you Yahoo!?

                                  • Marty Sims
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 2, 2003
                                      Pat,

                                      I'm not an aviation fan, but from the website link it
                                      does sound like fun. Especially the thought of some
                                      hands-on learning of metalshaping. I'm a pretty fair
                                      welder and have done some very basic sheetmetal
                                      fabrication work while in the Navy, but would really
                                      like to learn hammering, rolling and shaping
                                      techniques. I saw the Exhibitors list on the website
                                      - which tent will you be in?

                                      Thanks,
                                      Marty