RE: [metalshapers] Re: Dan-the-Man's wheeling machines and Valiant

  • Eric Quarnstrom
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002
      I spent Saturday at Dan's and have some more pictures. Unfortunately my
      batteries went dead. I'll try and get the pictures off the camera
      tomorrow.

      Eric Q.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002
        I think it looks great Terry!!!Looks like you metal boys can do anything..(S)How about finishing that apple too.I'd like to see it done.Thank You...............................bob
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002
          Jim, you can use the e-wheel to make reverse curves.  Either wheel the edge a few times with fairly heavy pressure, zig-zag into the panel to blend the shape, then wheel lightly upside down with the appropriately shaped anvil to get a good transition from the reverse to the rest of the panel  (harder than it sounds)  or push the panel  between the upper wheel and anvil multiple times from the edge in towards the middle (90 degrees from the edge)  varying the depth of the passes.   Ron Fournier did a nice demo of this in one of his videos.  It was a motor cycle fender reverse curve at the rear of the fender.  Depending on the shape of the panel, the first method (edge wheeling) might go easier upside down.

          You can also use a linear stretching hammer over a post dolly, or head.  I got one from Terry (I think) of ebay a while back.  It has two heads.  One has a verticle curve, the other horizontal.  When I was working on a t-top weather seal flange a while back, it came in very handy.  I use a piece of 20 gage bent to 90 degrees, formed with a stretcher and shrinker to follow the shape of the roof and t-top opening.  To follow the curve of the t-top opening, you have to shrink the inside flange.  The upper part of the angle requires guess work as to how much stretch it needs when going around the corner, so I put a little stretch in it, then after getting the curve with the shrinker, I used the linear stretching hammer to add some stretch to the upper part of the angle, making it fit the roof shape.  If you try to do the extra stretching with a mechanical stretcher, the distortion of the curve would be signifigant.  I hope this is not too muddled to be comprehensible.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002
            Thanks John,
            Your explaination seemed clear to me except for the linear stretch
            hammer. I assume that the hammer head would look like the linear
            stretch dies on a planishing hammer...am I right?
            Jim Russell

            --- In metalshapers@y..., "JOHN KELLY" <ghiafab@m...> wrote:
            > Jim, you can use the e-wheel to make reverse curves. Either wheel
            the edge a few times with fairly heavy pressure, zig-zag into the
            panel to blend the shape, then wheel lightly upside down with the .
          • JOHN KELLY
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002

                Your explaination seemed clear to me except for the linear stretch
              hammer. I assume that the hammer head would look like the linear
              stretch dies on a planishing hammer...am I right?"
              Jim Russell

              Jim,

              I've attached two pictures of the hammer.  Don't know what the real name for it is.  It is a blue point/snap-on.

              John  www.ghiaspecialties.com

            • jlrussell4
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 1, 2002
                -Thanks for the pictures John. They explain it all.
                Jim

              • Brian Burke
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 3, 2002
                  Re: [metalshapers] Re: Reverse curve how-to pics

                  From: Terry Cowan <terry@...>
                  Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 00:43:17 -0500
                  To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [metalshapers] Re: Reverse curve how-to pics

                  You refer to a lesser stretch die.  What makes a linear die more or less aggressive?

                  At 04:32 AM 7/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
                  >--- Terry,
                  >    Congradulations on an excellent explaination on making a reverse
                  >curve. Ya done good.I actually think I "get it".You showed the shape
                  >of the die, I guess the thing that goes up and down is a convex shape
                  >like a section of a sphere, right? Is the part that goes up and down
                  >equivalent to a hammer with the die being the anvil?

                  Yep.

                  >  Would this same machine be used to planish the new reverse curved piece?
                  > If so, whatwould that die be shaped like.Thank you.
                  >     Frank

                  Frank,
                  This is basically the same concept whether you are using a big power
                  hammer, an air hammer or a hand-held hammer and die/anvil/stake.

                  As for the shape of the of the dies when planishing -- actually -- if you
                  don't get too aggressive with the stretch dies you may not even need
                  additional planishing.  But if you do -- I suppose you could either go to a
                  lesser aggressive stretch die (being narrow it won't mark the metal from
                  the edges of the die) -- Or the bottom die with have to at least have a
                  slight radius if your panel is curved like the one in the photo. The top
                  die gets a little tricky -- depending on the radius of the reverse curve --
                  the top die will have to be small enough in diameter and/or radiused on the
                  edges enough so the edges won't mark the metal. When planishing, you need
                  to cut back on the air pressure also. This trick seems to work much better
                  on Dutch's new hammer than my old one. The smaller the upper die is -- the
                  more damage you can do if you are hitting too hard. (guess how I now that?)

                  Honestly I haven't done many reverse curves -- so there could be lots of
                  information I'm missing. Am I missing anything guys?

                  Terry

                  Terry Cowan

                  Metalshapers store -- http://metalshapers.org/store/

                  To register for FormFest 2002 and regional mini-fests:
                  http://www.metalshapers.org/registrar/

                  If you do not wist to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership priviliges -- simple edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following link:

                  To leave the group and discontinue all membership privileges -- send an e-mail to:

                • big bob

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 8, 2002
                      I made a little progress Saturday before I was drafted to "family duty".
                      I'll try to get into the shop tonight and take a pic or two.

                      Thanks for asking.

                      Once I get the process down and the wire-form finished (and possibly a
                      wooden buck) I thought I'd have them available for the TexasFest for anyone
                      who wants to take a shot at making a Texas Rat.

                      RE: TexTest -- my only hold-up is (Now that it's July) is getting wiring
                      for the air conditioner and some plastic partitions to keep an area cooled
                      off. Plus I still need to get the P5 bent back in shape).

                      Terry