    Nov 20 4:47 PM
      I probably weld more thin copper than anybody else in the box. I like TIG welding with pulse. I expect to play with various pulse parameters soon, in a semi formal experiment. But I don't weld thinner than 32 oz copper. After i get the pulse experiment done, I will probably try to weld 16 oz copper

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 20, 2013, at 2:29 PM, "Varnell, John" <jvarnell@...> wrote:

      The way I TIG welded copper took a lot of trial and error but this is what I did.  I but wielded it.  I put a piece of stainless behind it and used some copper wire (0000 THHN strands).  I cleaned all edges and the wire with citric acid (lemon juice) I did it on AC.  There maybe people that really know how to do it but that is what I did.

      John D. Varnell

      From: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:metalshapers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bl55303@...
      Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:36 PM
      To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [metalshapers] I need some suggestions.

      Is  there  such a  thing  as  making  this  in  2  parts ?  front  and  sides.......you  could  water jet  cut  the  front....then  make  the  sides  to  match  and bolt  the  sides  to  the  front...water jet  cut  the  front  with  enough  extra  to  roll  over  the  parton 3  sides.........same  for  the  cides  then  bolt   -screw  the  sides  to  the  front....frame  would  pe    zink  plated...powder coatet  first   ....

      In a message dated 11/18/2013 8:07:57 A.M. Central Standard Time, adveniam@... writes:

      On 11/17/2013 8:03 PM, bl55303@... wrote:
      > Do you know  how  to  tig  weld copper.........sounds  like you  could
      > fab  the part    and  weld  it  together.
      > How  many  do  we  need?  Could  water jet  cut  the  big  sides  and
      > use a   tiping  wheel  to  turn    the sides.If  you  can  have  a  1/4
      > flange tiped  side  you  could  make  a  hamerform and  do  the
      > comlpleat  letter. Then soder  the  sides  to  your  letter....A picture
      > of  what  you  are  trying  ti  reproduce would  be  helpful...... Barry L

      My initial impulse IS to fab it up. This is tedious , but practical
      This curve is just a bit above eye level in a formal greenhouse attached
      to a 1920 mansion. Everything done on the place so far is with an eye to
      maintaining the visual integrity of the building. The old piece was a
      one piece item. The owner knows this. If possible I'd like to follow suite.

      The dimensions are still up in the air.
      The old one is about 3 inches wide and 2 high.
      The new skeletal structure is still being drawn up . I need to cover
      that so that it will look as if it is original.
      I have told them that I can not even come up with a final design until
      the structure is in place.

      Working from concept right now I can get some technique figured out.
      From plans I can refine the technique and get a good idea about
      materials. Given the vagaries of construction actual measurements  will
      wait until I see the finished project. I did tell them that the closer
      they are to perfectly square joints and tolerances of 1/16th inch
      dimensionally the less it will cost to clad.
      There are a few thousand pieces total If I can deal with it as 20-30
      types of pieces rather than all "one of" pieces things will be much better.

      I know this can be done, as it was on the old one.
      After 45 years or so doing this type of thing, this one will raise the
      learning curve for me.
      The methods and bench tools used originally probably no longer exist, so
      there will be some wheels reinvented possibly.

      Introduce yourselves here:

      We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the MSA web site:

      The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get them all emailed to you.

      Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be found here: http://metalshapers.org/?page_id=11

      If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for NO EMAIL at the following link:
      Yahoo Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: