75102Re: [metalshapers] I need some suggestions.

  • mnlars20032
    Nov 17, 2013
      Do you know  how  to  tig  weld  copper.........sounds  like you  could fab  the part    and  weld  it  together.
      How  many  do  we  need?  Could  water jet  cut  the  big  sides  and  use  a   tiping  wheel  to  turn    the  sides.If  you  can  have  a  1/4  flange  tiped  side  you  could  make  a  hamerform  and  do  the  comlpleat  letter. Then   soder  the  sides  to  your  letter....A picture  of  what  you  are  trying  ti  reproduce  would  be  helpful...... Barry L

      In a message dated 11/17/2013 11:08:08 A.M. Central Standard Time, adveniam@... writes:
      I "have" a job supposedly that I am wondering how to do.

      This thing involves several sections that pose a problem. I can do this
      in a one of scenario, but I will need forty or so replicas.

      1. material is light copper maximum 24 ounce down to possibly 16 ounce.
      2 Shape is a channel, one piece, approaching the shape of a capital Omega.
      3. This needs to be curved to about a 2 foot radius with the open part
      of the omega on the outside of the curve. Total length about 3 feet.
      4. This whole assembly will snap fit over a iron girder edge.

      The radiused pieces are the only ones giving me fits. The rest is either
      straight pieces or built up pieces.

      This is to replace an existing set of pieces made just as I described,
      so I know it can and has been done in some sort of production setting
      just shy of 100 years ago.

      The modern setup for making thousands of pieces would be some sort of
      roll former capable of going from flat stock to finished product making
      several bends shrinking and stretching as it went along.
        I am guessing that in 1920 the process involved several bench tools
      with custom dies and some cousin of a ring roller.

      Right now the job is waiting for new structural iron. When that is done
      I will be able to make actual measurements and be able to begin setting
      up to actually give budget numbers and time frame.
      The object is to make the new refurbished building look as much like the
      original as possible.

      Mike Graf

      ------------------------------------

      Introduce yourselves here:
      http://metalshapers.org/roundtable/forumdisplay.php?9-Introductions-Metalshapers&s=5f27e25c4e35517771576f3aabe3e9ed

      We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the MSA web site:
      http://metalshapers.org/roundtable/forumdisplay.php?6-Metalshaping

      The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get them all emailed to you.

      Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be found here: http://metalshapers.org/?page_id=11

      If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for “NO EMAIL” at the following link:
      Yahoo Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: