RE: [metabase-dev] Metabase, MDB or Pear DB

  • Lukas Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi,

      I am still on track to deliver MDB release candidate 1.0 by early august
      (read in the next 7 days).

      Depending on how much bugs are found a release of 1.0 should come sooner
      or later, but I am pretty sure it will be in august.

      Until then the API will still be in flux.

      At release point there will only be a pgsql and a mysql driver. More
      will probably follow quickly, but that depends on how quickly MDB will
      be adopted by the community.

      Manuel is right when he pointed out that MDB provides interfaces that
      mimic Metabase or PEAR DB.

      So I would suggest sticking with Metabase for now and wait until MDB
      stabilizes.

      About PEAR DB:
      PEAR DB is quite useable as well. But I wouldn't call it an abstraction
      layer, but more a common API for all RDBMS it supports. It simply has
      too few features to truly abstract the RDBMS (like type abstraction,
      schema abstraction etc.).

      Best regards,
      Lukas

      API
      > > with MDB so it will be easy (read transparent) in the future to
      migrate.

      > > The problem of PEAR-DB is that it lacks important features that
      Metabase

      http://www.egroups.com/surveys/metabase-
      > dev?id=263873
      > > Latest beta version: http://www.egroups.com/files/metabase-dev
      > > Vote on Metabase: http://www.zend.com/apps.php?id=122&single=1
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > dev?id=263873
      > Latest beta version: http://www.egroups.com/files/metabase-dev
      > Vote on Metabase: http://www.zend.com/apps.php?id=122&single=1
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • maxgordonse
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
        Thank you all very much for helping me out here. I have decided to
        keep the Metabase API although I will put it in one of my own
        abstraction layers and then change to the faster MDB when the project
        has matured somewhat. Please post a message when MDB is ripe to
        implement.

        regards
        Max Gordon