metabase question / plea for help =]

  • jason
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2001
      Hi all.
      This list seems to be quite dead as of late; maybe (hopefully) this will
      spark.

      Basically I'm trying to extract the actual SQL queries that Metabase
      uses out to a file. I imagine this would involve writing a class that
      extends metabase_manager, and calling some functions to get the data I
      need.

      I'm rather new to the Metabase code/libraries and was wondering was
      anyone who has done something similar to this.

      In other words, I'd like to write a Metabase equivalent to mysqldump so
      I can get the SQL queries for creating the tables.

      *ANY* advice, help would be most appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.
      jason
    • Manuel Lemos
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2001
        Hello,

        jason wrote:

        > This list seems to be quite dead as of late; maybe (hopefully) this will
        > spark.

        There are 128 subscribers. Maybe there not many doubts about Metabase to
        discuss about it.

        > Basically I'm trying to extract the actual SQL queries that Metabase
        > uses out to a file. I imagine this would involve writing a class that
        > extends metabase_manager, and calling some functions to get the data I
        > need.
        >
        > I'm rather new to the Metabase code/libraries and was wondering was
        > anyone who has done something similar to this.
        >
        > In other words, I'd like to write a Metabase equivalent to mysqldump so
        > I can get the SQL queries for creating the tables.

        I'm afraid that capability would have to be embedded into Metabase
        drivers because that is DBMS specific. If it wasn't you would not need
        to have functions in Metabase drivers like CreateTable, DropTable,
        AlterTable, CreateSequence, DropSequence, etc.. Also I am not sure if
        all the logic embedded in those functions could be reduced just to a
        series of individual SQL commands. It depends on what you want to do.