Re: When will MetaBase support primary keys?

  • mlemos@acm.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2001
      Hello,

      --- In metabase-dev@y..., baldusi@y... wrote:
      > I'm starting a project (I've yet to put something in
      SourceForge)
      > for doing a framework to allow elegant development of web sites. My
      > problem was that I didn't knew how to make an elegant abstraction
      of
      > either HTML or the DB.
      > I really like metabase, but I do want to use primary keys and
      > foriegn keys. I know that MySQL doesn't support foreign keys. But
      any
      > basic BD does support primary keys. Besides if it were possible to
      > make the driver simulate foreign keys for MySQL it would greatly
      > simplify the site development.

      Metabase certainly will support primary and foreign keys in the
      future. It is just matter of me or someone else will do it. I would
      like to release a few Metabase related things first.

      Meanwhile I anybody could advance some work on this area. I plan to
      release Metabase as Open Source as soon as I find enough volunteers
      interested to contribute. So, things may happen sooner then later.

      Other than that, primary keys are almost the same as declaring a
      unique index of the key fields. Foreign keys are not absolutely
      necessary (I never needed them or else I would have added support to
      them). Still, I will add them sooner or later, don't worry.