Re: [metabase-dev] SQL LIKE Case insensitive ILIKE

  • Manuel Lemos
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
      Hello,

      on 08/06/2006 03:02 PM idiroddi said the following:
      > I have been using Metabase and MySQL for awhile now. I just started
      > playing around with PostgreSQL (using Metabase) last night. Looks like
      > SQL LIKE is case sensitive with PostgreSQL, and using ILIKE isnt portable.
      >
      > Does the new Metabase Pattern Matching feature work this out? If so
      > could you please give an example using: "WHERE lastname like lastname%'"
      >
      > I'm trying to produce the case insensitive results that MySQL would
      > return.

      You are right. Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that is not
      consistent accross all browsers.

      Maybe I should force it to use the case insensitive option by default,
      and have an function to make it case sensitive for those that may need that.

      What do you think?

      I need to investigate if it is possible to make it case insensitive with
      all databases.

      http://www.metastorage.net/

      http://www.phpclasses.org/
    • idiroddi
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
        --- In metabase-dev@yahoogroups.com, Manuel Lemos <mlemos@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > on 08/06/2006 03:02 PM idiroddi said the following:
        > > I have been using Metabase and MySQL for awhile now. I just started
        > > playing around with PostgreSQL (using Metabase) last night. Looks like
        > > SQL LIKE is case sensitive with PostgreSQL, and using ILIKE isnt
        portable.

        > > Does the new Metabase Pattern Matching feature work this out? If so
        > > could you please give an example using: "WHERE lastname like
        lastname%'"

        > > I'm trying to produce the case insensitive results that MySQL would
        > > return.
        >
        > You are right. Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that is not
        > consistent accross all browsers.
        >
        > Maybe I should force it to use the case insensitive option by default,
        > and have an function to make it case sensitive for those that may
        need that.

        > What do you think?
        >
        > I need to investigate if it is possible to make it case insensitive with
        > all databases.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Regards,
        > Manuel Lemos
        >
        > Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator
        > http://www.metastorage.net/
        >
        > PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
        > http://www.phpclasses.org/

        I think that would be great.

        I have noticed other differences in SQL between MySQL and PostgreSQL.
        Do you know of a good reference source for writing portable SQL?

        Thanks in advance