SQL LIKE Case insensitive ILIKE

  • idiroddi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hello Manuel-

      I have been using Metabase and MySQL for awhile now. I just started
      playing around with PostgreSQL (using Metabase) last night. Looks like
      SQL LIKE is case sensitive with PostgreSQL, and using ILIKE isnt portable.

      Does the new Metabase Pattern Matching feature work this out? If so
      could you please give an example using: "WHERE lastname like lastname%'"

      I'm trying to produce the case insensitive results that MySQL would
      return.

      As always, thanks in advance.
    • Manuel Lemos
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
        Hello,

        on 08/06/2006 03:02 PM idiroddi said the following:
        > I have been using Metabase and MySQL for awhile now. I just started
        > playing around with PostgreSQL (using Metabase) last night. Looks like
        > SQL LIKE is case sensitive with PostgreSQL, and using ILIKE isnt portable.
        >
        > Does the new Metabase Pattern Matching feature work this out? If so
        > could you please give an example using: "WHERE lastname like lastname%'"
        >
        > I'm trying to produce the case insensitive results that MySQL would
        > return.

        You are right. Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that is not
        consistent accross all browsers.

        Maybe I should force it to use the case insensitive option by default,
        and have an function to make it case sensitive for those that may need that.

        What do you think?

        I need to investigate if it is possible to make it case insensitive with
        all databases.

        http://www.metastorage.net/

        http://www.phpclasses.org/
      • idiroddi
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
          --- In metabase-dev@yahoogroups.com, Manuel Lemos <mlemos@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > on 08/06/2006 03:02 PM idiroddi said the following:
          > > I have been using Metabase and MySQL for awhile now. I just started
          > > playing around with PostgreSQL (using Metabase) last night. Looks like
          > > SQL LIKE is case sensitive with PostgreSQL, and using ILIKE isnt
          portable.

          > > Does the new Metabase Pattern Matching feature work this out? If so
          > > could you please give an example using: "WHERE lastname like
          lastname%'"

          > > I'm trying to produce the case insensitive results that MySQL would
          > > return.
          >
          > You are right. Now that you mentioned it, I noticed that is not
          > consistent accross all browsers.
          >
          > Maybe I should force it to use the case insensitive option by default,
          > and have an function to make it case sensitive for those that may
          need that.

          > What do you think?
          >
          > I need to investigate if it is possible to make it case insensitive with
          > all databases.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Regards,
          > Manuel Lemos
          >
          > Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator
          > http://www.metastorage.net/
          >
          > PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
          > http://www.phpclasses.org/

          I think that would be great.

          I have noticed other differences in SQL between MySQL and PostgreSQL.
          Do you know of a good reference source for writing portable SQL?

          Thanks in advance