Re: [metabase-dev] Re: Error Handling?

  • Manuel Lemos
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hello,

      On 11/26/2003 10:43 AM, deathbycarrots wrote:
      >>This example should send you a e-mail message reporting the error
      >
      > that
      >
      >>occured.
      >>

      > Thanks for the example! I'll likely switch to that (or something
      > similar) as soon as the website is launched. For now, I'm debugging
      > to the browser.

      If you are using PHP 4.3 or better, you may also want to take a look at
      a PHP error handler that I wrote to include with a class that mails PHP
      error logs to the system administrator or a developer for prompt
      assistance. This class lets you track fatal errors that is impossible
      for normal PHP scripts to catch.

      The error handler function that I provide is capable of including a
      backtrace of all the functions that called the function where the error
      ocurred. You can use PHP trigger_error() function for your Metabase
      error handler code or just adapt this error handler to have a better
      notion where your errors occurred including the function names and
      arguments. This should satisfy also the request of a developer that
      wanted to know which query as failed.

      http://www.phpclasses.org/logwatcher

      > One more question....
      > I'm a tad confused where the documentation suggests that I can make
      > direct API calls rather than using the functions...
      >
      > for example:
      > $db->SetDatabase("someting");
      >
      > Or I can use:
      > MetabaseSetDatabase($database,"something");
      >
      > The former method, using an object, seems to have additional
      > documentation missing for some reason. Is it *really* as easy as it
      > says where I only need to use MetabaseSetupDatabaseObject and then
      > refer to $db (or whatever I call it) as an OOP-style programming
      > interface? I guess I could just try it out and see what happens, but
      > I figured I would tap into your knowledge and get the answers from the
      > source! :)

      The procedural interface is just a wrapper around the direct to object
      API. They call the same functions so they have the same arguments, apart
      from the $database handler argument that is converted into the $db object.

      Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
      http://www.phpclasses.org/