new user/featuure suggestion/question

  • Lord Torenaga
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001
      First of all, let me say this is a great program. I
      have really enjoyed using it. It is nice to be able to
      do this kind of work on the Mac.

      While I was working I found myself wishing I could
      group objects or a selection of vertices together for
      easy selection later. I know you can assign something
      a color, but with only eight, they run out fast. I was
      thinking just a little list, maybe a pop up window or
      menu item where you could just select the name and be
      able to select just that item. And this could be just
      for modeling purposes, it shouldn't effect your color
      assignments.

      I would love to see a full 3d view inside the program
      similar to what is done in the 3D preview. Something
      you could spin around and select points off of.I found
      the current "3d" view a little difficult (not
      impossible) to use once the model gets anywhere near
      slightlty complex.

      And finally, I had a few times where I had a couple of
      polygons that seemed to facing backwards. I tried the
      face out and invert commands, but I was having
      dificulty pinpointing the exact faces that are out of
      alignment. Is there a way to display the normals? Is
      there a way to select a polygon by their face rather
      than by their vertices?

      Keep up the great work!

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Joseph J. Strout
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001
        At 6:06 AM -0800 1/25/01, Lord Torenaga wrote:

        >First of all, let me say this is a great program. I
        >have really enjoyed using it. It is nice to be able to
        >do this kind of work on the Mac.

        Thanks!

        >While I was working I found myself wishing I could
        >group objects or a selection of vertices together for
        >easy selection later. I know you can assign something
        >a color, but with only eight, they run out fast.

        True. But also consider the "Select Connected" command. This will
        extend the selection to all connected vertices -- handy if your model
        is composed of chunks which are not connected (even if they overlap
        or intersect).

        > I was thinking just a little list, maybe a pop up window or
        >menu item where you could just select the name and be
        >able to select just that item. And this could be just
        >for modeling purposes, it shouldn't effect your color
        >assignments.

        Or, we could just have a Group/Ungroup feature, like in many drawing
        programs. This is a frequently requested feature -- I just haven't
        gotten to it yet.

        >I would love to see a full 3d view inside the program
        >similar to what is done in the 3D preview. Something
        >you could spin around and select points off of.

        Yow, that's difficult. Well, not so difficult if you just want to
        select points; but if you want to edit them in that view, it'd be a
        bit harder. Anyway, this is also on my to-do list, but there are a
        couple things in front of it (*).

        >And finally, I had a few times where I had a couple of
        >polygons that seemed to facing backwards. I tried the
        >face out and invert commands, but I was having
        >dificulty pinpointing the exact faces that are out of
        >alignment. Is there a way to display the normals?

        No -- I'm not sure how much that would help, since drawing the
        normals on a 2D screen would be just about as ambiguous (maybe more)
        as the current approach of coloring them oly from the front.

        One command I've been thinking about adding is a "Face Consistent" or
        some such, which would walk over the triangles in the selection and
        make sure that any triangles which share an edge both face the same
        direction. (That's a rough description; I can get technical if
        anyone's interested!) This would be a huge help in getting the faces
        correct.

        > Is there a way to select a polygon by their face rather
        >than by their vertices?

        Alas, no... but if you command-click a vertex, it will select that
        one as well as the ones *immediately* connected to it. That means it
        will select the faces connected to that vertex. This may help.

        Thanks for the feedback!
        - Joe

        (*) What I'm currently working on is getting 1.7 documented,
        translated, and out the door. This update includes pinned-mode
        texture mapping, a major new capability. I've had a lot of trouble
        getting the last few steps done though, so if I get desperate I'll
        release it English only and with scanty docs at first, then fill in
        the rest as soon as I can. Let me know if you have any strong
        feelings about that (either way).
        | Joseph J. Strout Codenautics: quality Mac software |
        | joe@... http://codenautics.com/ |
      • lordtorenaga@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001
          --- In meshwork@egroups.com, "Joseph J. Strout" <joe@s...> wrote:
          > At 6:06 AM -0800 1/25/01, Lord Torenaga wrote:
          >
          > >First of all, let me say this is a great program. I
          > >have really enjoyed using it. It is nice to be able to
          > >do this kind of work on the Mac.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > >While I was working I found myself wishing I could
          > >group objects or a selection of vertices together for
          > >easy selection later. I know you can assign something
          > >a color, but with only eight, they run out fast.
          >
          > True. But also consider the "Select Connected" command. This will
          > extend the selection to all connected vertices -- handy if your
          model
          > is composed of chunks which are not connected (even if they overlap
          > or intersect).

          OK, I'll try that one...still learning all the features, but that
          sounds like it may help. I was thinking along the lines if you had a
          model that was a single mesh you could just a choose "selection set"
          as a quick way to grab chunks of the model to tweak and adjust. For
          example, I was working on a model of a Suzuki Samurai for the game
          4x4 Evolution. While working on the bumper (offroad style with lots
          of protection bars) I kept tweaking the alignment or the position of
          some the bars to get it just right. Since it was all one piece, I had
          a "fun" time picking out the points I needed to make adjustments to.
          It would have been nice to specify "front crossbar" and be able to
          get the points for just that piece of the bumper all at once.

          > > I was thinking just a little list, maybe a pop up window or
          > >menu item where you could just select the name and be
          > >able to select just that item. And this could be just
          > >for modeling purposes, it shouldn't effect your color
          > >assignments.
          >
          > Or, we could just have a Group/Ungroup feature, like in many
          drawing
          > programs. This is a frequently requested feature -- I just haven't
          > gotten to it yet.

          Yes, something like a group/ungroup. You would just grab a selection
          of points and assign them to a group or a selection set.

          > >I would love to see a full 3d view inside the program
          > >similar to what is done in the 3D preview. Something
          > >you could spin around and select points off of.
          >
          > Yow, that's difficult. Well, not so difficult if you just want to
          > select points; but if you want to edit them in that view, it'd be a
          > bit harder. Anyway, this is also on my to-do list, but there are a
          > couple things in front of it (*).

          Nothing fancy, just something to spin around and select points off of
          would be great. I wouldn't want to try to model or edit in that
          window.

          > >And finally, I had a few times where I had a couple of
          > >polygons that seemed to facing backwards. I tried the
          > >face out and invert commands, but I was having
          > >dificulty pinpointing the exact faces that are out of
          > >alignment. Is there a way to display the normals?
          >
          > No -- I'm not sure how much that would help, since drawing the
          > normals on a 2D screen would be just about as ambiguous (maybe
          more)
          > as the current approach of coloring them oly from the front.

          This would be a feature that would be helpful if the 3d window I
          mentioned above were available. Maybe just another option in the view
          command for that one window like Wire, Shaded, Shaded w/Normals.

          > One command I've been thinking about adding is a "Face Consistent"
          or
          > some such, which would walk over the triangles in the selection and
          > make sure that any triangles which share an edge both face the same
          > direction. (That's a rough description; I can get technical if
          > anyone's interested!) This would be a huge help in getting the
          faces
          > correct.
          >
          > > Is there a way to select a polygon by their face rather
          > >than by their vertices?
          >
          > Alas, no... but if you command-click a vertex, it will select that
          > one as well as the ones *immediately* connected to it. That means
          it
          > will select the faces connected to that vertex. This may help.
          >
          > Thanks for the feedback!
          > - Joe
          >
          > (*) What I'm currently working on is getting 1.7 documented,
          > translated, and out the door. This update includes pinned-mode
          > texture mapping, a major new capability. I've had a lot of trouble
          > getting the last few steps done though, so if I get desperate I'll
          > release it English only and with scanty docs at first, then fill in
          > the rest as soon as I can. Let me know if you have any strong
          > feelings about that (either way).
          > --
          > ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
          > | Joseph J. Strout Codenautics: quality Mac software |
          > | joe@s... http://codenautics.com/ |
          > `------------------------------------------------------------------'

          Well, that about covers my few minor suggestions;) Keep up the great
          work, can't wait for 1.7!
        • kotos six
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 25, 2001

            > >While I was working I found myself wishing I could
            > >group objects or a selection of vertices together
            > for
            > >easy selection later. I know you can assign
            > something
            > >a color, but with only eight, they run out fast.
            >
            > True. But also consider the "Select Connected"
            > command. This will
            > extend the selection to all connected vertices --
            > handy if your model
            > is composed of chunks which are not connected (even
            > if they overlap
            > or intersect).

            boy I wish I had known abou that function a long time
            ago!
            thats going to help with the model I'm working on
            right now a lot
            its a transformable Fighter so its all chunks
            http://www.geocities.com/fortress_macross/macross.jpg

            -still an object grouping function
            no related to textures would be very helpfull overall

            > > I was thinking just a little list, maybe a pop up
            > window or
            > >menu item where you could just select the name and
            > be
            > >able to select just that item. And this could be
            > just
            > >for modeling purposes, it shouldn't effect your
            > color
            > >assignments.
            >
            > Or, we could just have a Group/Ungroup feature, like
            > in many drawing
            > programs. This is a frequently requested feature --
            > I just haven't
            > gotten to it yet.
            >
            > >I would love to see a full 3d view inside the
            > program
            > >similar to what is done in the 3D preview.
            > Something
            > >you could spin around and select points off of.
            >
            > Yow, that's difficult. Well, not so difficult if
            > you just want to
            > select points; but if you want to edit them in that
            > view, it'd be a
            > bit harder. Anyway, this is also on my to-do list,
            > but there are a
            > couple things in front of it (*).
            >
            > >And finally, I had a few times where I had a couple
            > of
            > >polygons that seemed to facing backwards. I tried
            > the
            > >face out and invert commands, but I was having
            > >dificulty pinpointing the exact faces that are out
            > of
            > >alignment. Is there a way to display the normals?
            >
            > No -- I'm not sure how much that would help, since
            > drawing the
            > normals on a 2D screen would be just about as
            > ambiguous (maybe more)
            > as the current approach of coloring them oly from
            > the front.
            >
            > One command I've been thinking about adding is a
            > "Face Consistent" or
            > some such, which would walk over the triangles in
            > the selection and
            > make sure that any triangles which share an edge
            > both face the same
            > direction. (That's a rough description; I can get
            > technical if
            > anyone's interested!) This would be a huge help in
            > getting the faces
            > correct.

            yes! that would be a great function
            I seem to end up with mucky faces when modeling
            and its a pain fixing them

            > > Is there a way to select a polygon by their face
            > rather
            > >than by their vertices?
            >
            > Alas, no... but if you command-click a vertex, it
            > will select that
            > one as well as the ones *immediately* connected to
            > it. That means it
            > will select the faces connected to that vertex.
            > This may help.
            >
            > Thanks for the feedback!
            > - Joe
            >
            > (*) What I'm currently working on is getting 1.7
            > documented,
            > translated, and out the door. This update includes
            > pinned-mode
            > texture mapping, a major new capability. I've had a
            > lot of trouble
            > getting the last few steps done though, so if I get
            > desperate I'll
            > release it English only and with scanty docs at
            > first, then fill in
            > the rest as soon as I can. Let me know if you have
            > any strong
            > feelings about that (either way).

            has there been any major bugs in 1.7b ?
            oh I had a littel issue with the texture window
            I'm not sure but I think the standard backround for
            textures in games is black
            now trying to find that black vertical in a black
            backround and then selecting it is a pain
            {work around is just select everything and remeber
            where the point is}
            I was just wondering if a drag select could be added
            to the texture window?
            it would make things a little less frustrating.
            geez you list it big I'm sure I hate to add more")

            cheers joe

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/