Remembering my mother Bettina Moore, and a poem

  • Rosemary Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2001
      Bettina Moore, my mother, died in a psychiatric unit on 15 December 1984, three days before her 65th birthday.

      As I say on  www.mentalmagazine.co.uk the website went online on 18 December 2000 as a tribute to my mother, to whom the site is dedicated.

      The site is still being developed and as yet there is no "page" set up for my mother, where I want to tell her story and publish some of her poems and stories.

      My mother loved to enjoy herself and particularly liked the Opera.  She had ambition as a writer and wrote well but did not achieve the fame she wanted.  I'm sure she would be glad, even posthumously, to have that fame.  I also know that she would be very happy to know she was being remembered and that her story would be helping other people.

      Many of my mother's poems were upbeat and witty, but the the gloomy side of her personality often came to the fore after she had a breakdown in 1980, and she was in and out of mental units until her death in 1984.  My favourite, and the one that was read at her funeral, is this -

      IRREFUTABLE TRUTH
      Life will go on
      When I am gone
      Laid coldly
      In the ground.
      Depression's deep
      I cannot plumb
      The depth
      of my despair
      Tho' all's set fair
      My life blood's
      On the wane
      My youth
      Can never come
      Again.
      Whatever joy
      Or pain
      Success
      Or gain
      Come now
      I can't transcend
      The sorrow
      After chances missed
      Of pain evoked
      Of kindness
      Left undone
      When I was young.
      Pray God
      When I pass on
      It's not
      The end
      Of me.

      Bettina Moore, circa 1982

      posted by Rosemary
      "Campaigning for good health & social care...it's for everyone"