Janet Cresswell in Broadmoor

  • Rosemary Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2001
      On 7 September 2000 I sent a message about Janet Cresswell in Broadmoor to 5 mental health discussion groups - only members of two of the groups responded, the UKsurvivors and the psychiatric nursing boards.  The following are the responses from Len Bowers, the moderator of the psychiatric nursing group.  Below Len's messages is the message I sent to the boards on 7 September, which includes previous relevant messages to which I refer.

      Update:   Since September I have continued to write to the authorities - the hospital, Mental Health Act Commission and Home Office - and visit and correspond with Janet.   In answer to some of Len's points - Janet has no record of any sort of violence during the period she has been in Broadmoor. The attack on the psychiatrist was not intended to kill him, but she was charged with attempted murder.  Her intention was to get him into court - alive!  The doctor was not seriously harmed and Janet herself was also hurt during the struggle. There have been no incidents of violence involving Janet since she has been in Broadmoor.   The authorities have been unable to give me any information to support the claim that Janet suffers from "classic symptoms of serious mental illness".

      At the end of last year, Janet took an overdose intending to kill herself after being sent from a parole ward to an admission ward to be forcibly medicated.  The issue of medication has still not been resolved and Janet is still on the admission ward.
      (The next message on the mentalmagazine board will be a personal letter from Janet which she wrote in January.  You can also read some more background about Janet in Mental Magazine uk - www.mentalmagazine.co.uk.)

      Rosemary

      Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 9:00 AM
      Subject: RE: [forensic-psychiatric-nursing] Janet Cresswell in Broadmoor

      Dear Rosemary,

      I vacillate between  thinking you are gullible and naive, or just enjoying the mischief-making which is going on here and trying to stir it up some more.

      Besides the fact that your post (and that of the patient you say you represent) is garbled, self contradictory, and in places quite clearly wrong, I wonder have you ever considered the following:

      What did this patient do to be sent to Broadmoor?
      What offences did she commit before the index offence that got her sent to Broadmoor?
      Why hasn't she been released over the past 22 years?
      What incidents of violence, aggression and self harm has she been involved in while in the hospital?
      How many nurses and other patients has she injured or attempted to injure during this time?
      What do the professionals who care for her day by day consider to be the risk she poses to others or herself if she is released?

      Have you ever considered that this patient might be lying to you, misleading and manipulating you for her own purposes? Are you so sure she is telling you the truth about her index offence, and about her stay in Broadmoor?

      Throughout your post you assume that this patient is as pure as the driven snow, telling you the whole, unexpurgated truth. You also assume that everybody else is a lying, no-good, incompetent, abuser of their power. What nonsense.

      I know many of the nurses at Broadmoor. They are as committed to their patients, despite their crimes, as are the members of this e mail list. They are in a high risk job, and significant numbers of them suffer severe injuries inflicted by those they care for. I have immense respect and regard for them and the job they do. They deserve better than having the story below publicly thrown at them. Especially when they cannot answer for themselves, because to do so would be to break patient confidentiality.

      Len Bowers
      Professor of Psychiatric Nursing
      St Bartholomew School of Nursing & Midwifery,
      City University, Philpot St., London E1 2EA
      Tel: +44 207 505 5824  Fax: +44 207 505 5811
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2001
          I asked Janet to write something on the theme of political prisoners in the
          democratic system and she's sent me the essay below entitled "What is a
          Dissident". This essay, together with others and her short stories are in
          the files of the mentalmagazine discussion board at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mentalmagazine/files. And the messages about
          and from Janet can be found on the discussion board by going to the home
          page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mentalmagazine and putting "Janet
          Cresswell" in the Search box. The first message, February 2001, is about
          the email I
          sent to several boards on 7 September 2000 (before I had set up the MMuk
          website and board) and the reception it received from the nursing board.
          The questions raised by Len Bowers at that time have, I think, now been
          answered.
          the MMuk website also includes information about Janet, including the
          article she
          wrote for The Sunday Times that was published in 1987, which was where I
          first heard of her. Go to http://www.mentalmagazine.co.uk/#janet.

          By chance, a thread has just started on the nursing board about the role of
          psychiatrists which Janet is talking about also. You can find this
          discussion by going to the nursing home page at
          http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psychiatric-nursing.html, click on archives
          for October and look for the thread called "In the typists chair".

          rosemary
          www.mentalmagazine.co.uk
          "Campaigning for good health & social care...it's for everyone"

          What is a Dissident
          by Janet Cresswell

          Thirty years ago the term 'political prisoner' was understood to apply to
          Russian dissidents in psychiatric hospitals. There was a lot of media
          publicity on the subject which stressed that their treatment was
          exceptional. Over-drugging - largely with haloperidol which causes
          dribbling - did not apply to mental patients in the UK. Western mental
          patients at the time were quick to protest that their treatment was also
          debilitating but that our authorities refused to recognise there were any
          dissidents in their system. IRA prisoners were labelled 'terrorists' and all
          other opposition insane.

          There were several Russian releases to the West - Solzhenitsyn from the
          gulags, Victor Feinberg, Bukovsky and others from psychiatric hospitals. I
          attended a talk by Victor Feinberg in Red Lion Square, London W1 postal
          district, to learn that he had been arrested and had his front teeth knocked
          out for protesting at the Russian invasion of Hungary. After a mock trial
          he was committed to a mental hospital where he made friends with his female
          psychiatrist; when threatened with injections she shielded and hid him, his
          friends meanwhile distributing leaflets to publicise his plight to tourists
          in Moscow. Feinberg maintained that it was British psychiatrists who
          engineered his expatriation and waved a list of them - his female
          psychiatrist came too. When the audience was invited to speak I received an
          ovation for saying that the list of psychiatrists Feinberg waved was the
          'pot calling the kettle black'. When quiet was restored and Feinberg
          understood the expression meant there was no difference between them, he
          grinned. I went on to say that the world over, the same kind of person was
          being persecuted. They were labelled Schizophrenic; I listed a few of the
          valuable characteristics of this dreaded complaint. Nobody disagreed with
          me.

          When I came to Broadmoor I looked hard at the attendant psychiatric staff
          and decided my lot was forlorn. I had delivered a petition to No.10 Downing
          Street appealing for the abolition of forced psychiatric treatment on the
          grounds that at best it did little good and at its worst it did an
          astronomical amount of damage. I asked for monies thereby saved to be
          expended on bettering communities. I was arrested and without a trial
          committed to a mixed locked ward along with prison transfers, arsonists and
          suicides. I escaped, spent 3 months trying to obtain an explanation for
          the invasion into my property and person but received nothing but
          prevaricating, silly answers. To bring the case to court I stabbed a
          psychiatrist in the bottom; the ensuing fight resulted in him being stabbed
          elsewhere. Nasty, but not fatal; the last I saw of him he had walked into
          his office and was giving orders for his staff to call an ambulance. Since
          then the treatment I have received among those who are sometimes grateful to
          the mental health system has not made me change my views. In the same way
          that God always forgives, the psychiatrist pronounces recovery if his
          prescription is consumed. Some can tolerate the medication, others cannot.

          After 25 years in Broadmoor I have been put on the Admittance Ward, a record
          even for Broadmoor. I have wondered if the Russian psychiatrists had
          revolted at the Communist regime and had appealed secretly to their Western
          counterparts. They, in turn, gained prestige for contributing to the
          downfall of the Iron Curtain. The same condition does not apply in this
          country; it is hard to believe that psychiatrists are being made to medicate
          where unnecessary and one can only assume that the heavy-handed approach
          stems from their own doctrine. If this is the case, then psychiatrists are
          running their own system, thereby using party politics as convenient. IRA
          terrorists are treated better than dissidents of psychiatry; the former have
          Christmas home leave which is never applied for by Broadmoor psychiatrists.
          All branches of the medical profession should be concerned solely with
          curative practices. Their failure should be acknowledged and rectified, as
          far as possible. The victims should not be penalised to conceal the errors
          at public expense.

          © Janet Cresswell
          October 2001