Kenya Turning wrongfully at the dawn of New Year

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
       Hi all

      The Kenya community and the political leaders on both sides must be told in no uncertain terms that they are currently in great danger of losing their credibility in the eyes of Kenyans and the international community because of systematic killing of the innocent sweeping Kenya, destruction of the economy and the spread of disaffection throughout the land.

      No grievance and no cause is worth the innocent blood of Kenyan children. The orgies of looting, burning, rape and wanton, well-orchestrated blood-letting are undermining the moral basis of the politicians’ cause.
      Those in authority must not have more regard for their — tenuous — grip on power than lives and property.
      It must be a blind and deaf person who does not hear the cries of the 70,000 people, many of them our children, who are now refugees in their own country.
      A final opportunity now presents itself for the political leadership to pull the country back from the brink and help restore the public’s confidence and sense of safety.

      Tough talk, grand-standing and empty point-scoring is not getting the nation anywhere. The moment has come to isolate the hard-liners on both sides and to allow the voices of reason to be heard across the political divide.
      Negotiations cannot take place, and probably drag on, as Kenyans are slaughtered and the country burns. The first objective, therefore, is to secure the safety of all Kenyans. Let those with armies call them back, let those fanning the fires stamp them out so that an environment is created for constructive dialogue.

      The priority now is for leaders — if at all they are interested in their own credibility and in saving the lives of Kenyans and the country as a whole — to get out of their meeting rooms and into the countryside and preach peace and patience to their supporters.
      Kenyans expect to see Mr Raila Odinga leading a peace mission to Kondele and other troubled parts of Kisumu and Nyanza in general. They expect to see Mr William Ruto and Mr Henry Kosgey at the head of an effort in the Rift Valley, restoring peace and calm. They expect President Kibaki to come out and calm the passions in Dandora, Huruma and other volatile parts of Nairobi.

      It is only with the restoration of peace that reason will prevail.
      But there can be no lasting peace without justice. It is therefore important for President Kibaki and Orange Democratic Movement leader Raila Odinga to enter into immediate negotiations on the disputed elections and arrive at a solution that both sides can live with. The hard-line positions, such as demanding the President’s immediate resignation or the refusal to accept questions raised over the presidential election results, are not very helpful at the moment.
      More middle-ground positions that should be explored could include a power-sharing arrangement.

      The second option is the creation of an interim government excluding both Mr Kibaki and Mr Odinga, and a time-table for fresh presidential elections under a reformed electoral process.
      The question yet to be resolved is whether an exhausted country nearing a state of civil war can survive another presidential election.
      After the restoration of peace and the reaching of a political agreement, the truth about what went on in this election needs to be established, publicised and used to strengthen our democratic institutions.

      There is an urgent need for an open and thorough public inquiry to determine the veracity of rigging allegations which have been raised by ODM, PNU and international observers. Equally, it would be utter madness to try and go to an election with the same discredited Electoral Commission and election procedures. The ECK must be overhauled, and the laws and procedures of casting, counting and tallying votes made tamper-proof.

      Kenya must be prepared to invest billions of shillings in technology and processes to guarantee the integrity of future elections.

      Lock the barn after the horse ran away? Why curtail the reporting now? The rumour mill is worse. Politicians still treat Kenyans with contempt. We will discern what matters and what is destroying us. Allow the media to give the facts. ... Internet is not blocked.
      Sam

      Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
      Pamela, Thank you for your wonderful letter and your leadership at
      Learning From Each Other.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/learningfr omeachother/ Indeed, my
      favorite kind of leadership at our lab is thinking out loud, asking
      questions, working on them, offering your example and hosting others as
      you do! Thank you for including so many at our lab! I share your
      letter more broadly and I invite all of our leaders (you know who you
      are!) to list your questions for the coming year. Thank you to all for
      your synergy, your sparks that jump from group to group. Happy New
      Year! Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...

    • Maria Agnese Giraudo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2008
        Dear Samwel, Ken and all,
        I thank you both  to be  witnesses  and for giving us your clear vision of the needs of Kenyan populations.
        Please Andrius and all,  what we can do is to encourage witnesses to write to us and give great visibility to their messages and to spread these messages to the international institutions and organizations as EC, UN, UNESCO, Government of each Europen countries, organizations as Amnesty International  and big NGOs as AMREF and so on...
        Please Andrius use Communia meeting for this purpose!!!
        Samel and Ken , Tom , David  i'll send some money to Andrius, please take care and tell us what you need!
        wit great affection and consideration!!
        Maria Agnese