Asif, what can we do for Kenya?

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Asif, Sasha, Janet, Agnese, Thank you for your concern and help
      regarding our participants in Kenya and the post-election violence there.

      I spoke with Maria Agnese Giraudo and she says the situation is very
      grave, especially in Kisumu (where Tom Ochuka is) and in Nairobi's slum
      Kibera (where many of the Nafsi Afrika Acrobats are) based on what she
      heard from a Kenyan colleague in Italy and from news reports. Also, she
      has received no replies to SMS and has not been able to call anybody by
      phone. We also have not received and emails from Kenya. There are
      reports of a media blackout in Kenya. This means that we may have
      access to information on the Internet that may not be available to
      people in Kenya.

      Asif Daya, because you grew up in Kenya but now are in Florida, and are
      well informed, I ask you to lead our efforts to help, if you agree. If
      you can, please also send me your telephone number so I might call you
      if there is a need.

      Currently, we can think how we might prepare to help when we do have the
      chance.

      - We can share information that we learn about our participants.
      - We can organize some money, even a few hundred dollars, to send as
      needed where needed by Western Union.
      - We might prepare some information that we're able to collect here,
      depending on how bad the media blackout is in Kenya. We can then have
      it ready to send when the opportunity arises. I have set up a page
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya Sasha, please, can you help there?
      - We can write letters and sign petitions to the foreign ministries in
      our various countries.
      - We can make a list of organizations and contacts that are able to help.
      - We may be able to organize help from Tanzania and Uganda (please advise!).

      Asif, What do you suggest?

      Just for clarity, my understanding is that Samwel and Kennedy are of the
      Lou tribe, as are most of the people of Rusinga Island where Samwel
      lives. Kennedy lives in one of Nairobi's slums. Raila Odinga, the
      presidential challenger, is a Lou and Mwai Kibaki, the incumbent
      president, is a Kikuyu.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyan_presidential_election%2C_2007
      And here's a Kenyan newspaper that's online: http://eastandard.net

      Fred, Agnese and I decided that you should not travel by bus to
      Nairobi. Soon she will learn about the visa and then we will discuss
      further about buying your ticket to Rome.

      Asif, I have changed your settings at Mendenyo so that your letters go
      through directly and you can write as many as you please.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 699 30003
      skype: minciusodas
    • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Everyone:

        I am struck with a sense of brother/sisterhood to see the concerns people have outside of Kenya and especially folks from our groups. Thank You.

        Andrius I will help in any way that is possible to bring peace and security to our fellow Kenyans.

        Right now there is no fuel for cars, no Kerosene for cooking nor charcoal/coal. There are splinters of small shops open for shopping and the lines are long....but the riots continue. People are sleeping in other peoples garages to hide from the riots. The majority in Kenya is Kikuyu and the info that Andrius gave was absolutely correct on the ethnicities of the presidential make up and also of Samwell. I am very concerned about Samwell. I tried to call him too. I wish we had a way to reach an NGO. The net may be the best way. There is hardly any food. People keep worrying about Rwanda in the back of their minds.

        This is what I found from a Kenyan site:

        I have just visited GoPetition and found the following page very interesting:

        Here is another one that was working a few days back:

        Just click on the link and sign petition,

        When you mail the petition links to others, please DO NOT mail this e-mail - retributions are common....especially from the Embassy.

        Andrius is right, we must write to our representatives to implement peace either by a recount or some other way, but they must be fully engaged.

        I understand from the latest news that Mr. Odinga has called for a Million man march to Uhuru Park - but that is going to be a bloodshed if the police are engaged - since their orders are to use live rounds of bullets. I cry for the people of Kenya - they all want peace, but also want a fair election. The scenario is ruined by looters and those that destroy due to engaging in ethnic differences.

        May God Bless The People Of Kenya.

        Asif

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
          Dear All

          "Managed to check my mails today"

          Happy New Year to you all, I trust your holiday with family and friends went on well. As you might have seen news about Kenya, things are thick, the elections that we (Kenyans) thought will bring a change and better opportunities is turned to be a nightmare, most of us have been indoors for the last six days, no movements especially in bigger towns and no business or work, this is difficulty for most of Kenyans. We had expected something like an improvement of democracy that was exercised in 2002 elections but this seems to have gone down the drain and still no one knows when the chaos are ending because there is a lot needed from the leaders to address the issue.
          I am personally glad that you are willing to help fellow kenyans who are in trouble, i live near kibera Slum and have many family and personal friends there like Fred Ouko and the KYCP team, i am not sure where he is now because i have not been able to get intouch to people through my cell phone that got lost during some struggles to ascape from Kibera on Sunday evening. Ken also stays in onother slum in Kawangware that has also been affected by the chaos.

          Will try to reach them both.

          David Mutua