Parma today,Rome tomorrow

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      A quick hello from Parma, Italy where Agnese, Sasha and I met with trashware
      organizers from Engineers Without Borders. However, there is such a glut of
      old computers that they simply install Linux Ubuntu on them and distribute
      them locally. But perhaps we will find hardware hackers in Rome with Binario
      Etico. I also have the idea now that if assembly is basic enough
      (soldering,wire splitting) then we can invite some Africans to learn and then
      they can assemble parts in Africa and even if it is more expensive , say
      processor 150 dollars and display 100 dollars, but there are economic
      advantages for our customers if assembly is done locally and so maintenance,
      training, teaching can be included and local people involved and as the
      number grows we can get better prices for the components. So we may work
      towards African assembly. But also I may go to China after Mexico to look for
      good independent thinking manufactureres interested in encouraging African
      assembly and training Africans. Andrius