Initial Funding for DIY Solar projects

  • Graham Knight
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      Dear All,

      Andrius has suggested using funds from the Mornflake project to initiate some DIY Solar projects.
      I welcome that and will do my best to supply what is requested.

      I would, personally, like to add 'to the pot' with another idea.
      As you may be aware, I'm concerned about the lack of good communication that often occurs after a free sample pack
      has been sent (on request) to NGOs.

      There are any number of reasons why projects of all sorts fail but proper communication is often the main problem.

      So I'm offering $100 of solar pv parts to the first entry where we have managed, between us, to produce an outline of a viable solar pv project!
      By that I mean where the NGO has devised a way of buying/making/selling pv devices (battery chargers, radios, etc)
      that can be sold locally to produce enough income to make a self-sustaining project. I will explain more about this when requested.

      Apart from the usual solar conversion of existing radios, lamps and mobile phones there are two other possibilities that can apply
      in some localities; charging car batteries and converting shop products.

      1. Where car lead-acid batteries are taken into a town for charging an alternative is to solar charge them at home.

      2. I'm told that there is an increasing range of imported lamps powered by dry cells on sale in many towns.
      Some are easy to solar-convert, some not.
      Send photos and I will say which ones are a possibilty.

      If the above is of interest I will send more information when the person chosen to run your projects replies.

      Graham

      P.S. I am also interested in supporting projects for improving stoves.
      Let me know if you are in contact with anyone who might be interested. Peter Ongele is already involved in one project.
    • Benoit Couture
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
        Salut Graham,

        As I read your idea, the question that came up is: Does the liscence of NGO's allow them to go directly into "for-profit business" such as you propose?
        I could see an NGO being formed to train people to go into business, like some micro credit organisations but I dont think that an NGO is allowed to buy and sell at a profit.  I know that it is not allowed in Canada.
        At present, in Minciu Sodas, there is Graham on the supply side of empowerment and there is Fred on the demand side as ground volunteers.  This provides us with a live picture of a need being ripe for it's market's emergence.
        We need to think through on how to go about assembling the structural team that can handle our initial prototype:

        FUNDING-  Earth Treasury knows of NGO's who do micro financing.  Perhaps can we interest them into taking on the part of funding needed until we are ready for financing.

        TRAINING-  The synergy between Graham and Fred need to be supported to co-ordinate the unfolding of the marketing plan, in the balance of demand and supply and in the integrity of our values, among which the value of the person comes first through out the operation.

        FINANCING-   By the time we reach the stage for financing, Mornflake along with people like Mr. Soros and firms like Templeton Foundation might accept to lead the way into the comfort of private financing, instead of  falling prey to the rush for profit of the public financing such as stock markets.
        If that does not work, we should then put ourselves in position to offer a bidding contest to the financial firms and governments that we choose to invite, so as to not prostitute our values.

        PRODUCTION-  Graham and your contacts are the basis for this plan.

        DISTRIBUTION-  This is Graham's start-up field of activity.

        WHAREHOUSING-  We need to determine the best all around location to emerge from, in Uganda.

        PROMOTION - SELLING-  Deciding on the form of publicity that will be used, all the way from the sell people to the media support of their efforts.  In other words, lets be sure that the enrgy of enthusiasm gets to be fuelled by the creativity of each one involved and the companionship of the team members.
        This is why I think that we would be wise to navigate our deployment by starting our promotion-selling activity amongst the groups who thrive in such natural companionship and care for each other.
        I say so, because to my dismay, I was told in the last year, that even though extreme poverty rules, the market of products such as cocaine are still yet emerging along with the empowerment that we are embarking on here with DLY.

        SERVICING-  Thechnical support for each product sold.

        NETWORK AFFILIATION-  From a core association like Mornflake with DLY, we can move in a parralel emergence of several markets of services.  Earth Treasury is certainly set to join such an assembling process.
        This idea of Network Affiliation is to cultivate the release of Talent Discovery as Fred seeks to do with his soccer team and other endeavours.  This is an open door for inspiration and dedication to rise in the song of liberty.
        Were we to be blessed with success, my Prayer is that we remain strickly focused on the emergence that supply the needs, as oppose to getting distracted by wants and lusts that are irrelevant to the economy of the Kingdom of Heaven in our midst.
        (add more as you see fit)

        Who else can join to embody the physical emergence of DLY solar project in Uganda from Graham's location as a starter?   Once grounded and perfected between Graham and Fred, the market will quickly move on to the other African members of Minciu Sodas who are interested to join.

        Dear Lord, I ask for your inspiration and guidance into this possible Value-Network of Your emergence in our midst...amen to Your Yes in us all...

        ...may all blessings be with us all...
        Benoit

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
          On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Benoit Couture<benoitctr@...> wrote:

          > Salut Graham,
          >
          > As I read your idea, the question that came up is: Does the liscence of
          > NGO's allow them to go directly into "for-profit business" such as you
          > propose?

          This is a common misconception. Non-profit status does not mean that
          the organization is not allowed to earn a profit, or more correctly in
          this case, a surplus. It means that the organization may not have
          owners or shareholders and distribute profits to them, and that any
          surplus must fund further non-profit activity. The largest-volume NGO
          is One Laptop Per Child, with revenue in the neighborhood of $200
          million annually. (2008, and projected for 2009)

          Of course, the details of non-profit/charity/NGO law vary from one
          country to another. Get professional advice before committing funds.

          Anyway, the more likely business model is for microfinance NGOs to
          give out loans for creating for-profit businesses.

          > I could see an NGO being formed to train people to go into business, like
          > some micro credit organisations but I dont think that an NGO is allowed to
          > buy and sell at a profit.  I know that it is not allowed in Canada.

          This turns out not to be the case.

          http://www.law-nonprofit.org/faqnfpc7.htm
          Not-for-profit & Charity Law
          Alberta, Canada

          ...in these times of reduced funding, many groups are involved in some
          form of money-making activity through sales. As long as the sole and
          primary purpose of the organization does not become making money, it
          can continue with incidental money-making activities. But when an
          organization's commercial activities become so dominant as to
          overshadow the purposes for which it was established, trouble might
          arise.

          > At present, in Minciu Sodas, there is Graham on the supply side of
          > empowerment and there is Fred on the demand side as ground volunteers.

          Earth Treasury is also trying to organize demand among OLPC
          deployments, where solar and other renewable power are essential to
          running the computers. I am currently creating a list of all such
          deployments with contact information, but could use help with this
          part of the project.

          I recommend Fantsuam Foundation as another partner.

          > This provides us with a live picture of a need being ripe for it's market's
          > emergence.
          > We need to think through on how to go about assembling the structural
          > team that can handle our initial prototype:
          >
          > FUNDING-  Earth Treasury knows of NGO's who do micro financing.  Perhaps can
          > we interest them into taking on the part of funding needed until we are
          > ready for financing.

          Yes. I can create a long list of microfinance NGOs who fund solar
          power businesses.

          And Children are my nation.
        • Edward Cherlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
            See also

            http://www.wpr.org/book/090322a.cfm
            To the Best of Our Knowledge
            Future Perfect
            Dreamers, Schemers, and Visionaries

            Imagine a child in Uruguay, who lives in a village with no electricity
            and no running water. Now imagine giving that young girl her very own
            solar-powered laptop with a satellite link to the internet. People
            used to tell Nicholas Negroponte his dream of a hundred-dollar laptop
            would never work. Today, hundred dollar laptops are changing the lives
            of children and adults in third world countries all over the planet.
            We’ll meet Negroponte in this hour of To the Best of Our Knowledge.
            We’ll also meet some video game visionaries and get a glimpse of our
            cyborg future.

            SEGMENT 1:

            We hear how some first grade children in Madison, Wisconsin, are
            getting acquainted with their first computers, then hear Anne
            Strainchamps speak with Nicholas Negroponte, founder and chairman of
            One Laptop Per Child, a non-profit association. Negroponte is the
            co-founder of the MIT Media Lab and is out to change the world by
            giving laptops to kids in places too remote to have electricity.

            On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Edward Cherlin<echerlin@...> wrote:

            > Earth Treasury is also trying to organize demand among OLPC
            > deployments, where solar and other renewable power are essential to
            > running the computers. I am currently creating a list of all such
            > deployments with contact information, but could use help with this
            > part of the project.

            And Children are my nation.
          • Benoit Couture
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
              Thank you Edward for that correction.  I was sure wrongly informed!  Regarding the help you could use, I could maybe help if you guide me as to how to do so.

              Benoit

> [...]

              > endeavours.  This is an open door for inspiration and dedication to rise in
              > the song of liberty.
              > Were we to be blessed with success, my Prayer is that we remain strickly
              > focused on the emergence that supply the needs, as oppose to getting
              > distracted by wants and lusts that are irrelevant to the economy of the
              > Kingdom of Heaven in our midst.
              > (add more as you see fit)
              >
              > Who else can join to embody the physical emergence of DLY solar project in
              > Uganda from Graham's location as a starter?   Once grounded and
              > perfected between Graham and Fred, the market will quickly move on to the
              > other African members of Minciu Sodas who are interested to join.
              >
              > Dear Lord, I ask for your inspiration and guidance into this possible
              > Value-Network of Your emergence in our midst...amen to Your Yes in us

              And Children are my nation.
              http://earthtreasur y.org/worknet (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)