We need substantial help anyway!

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13 4:21 AM
      Thanks for all who are concerned,
      I am encouraging the women and men to stay at their
      home villages and make the farms. When i was going to
      London i asked a handful of women 30 plus; to prepare
      land for seasonal planting, good they have prepare
      land and planted maize, millet, peas and other crops
      for food, wonderful. I may thank God for giving
      rainfall this Sunday of Easter. We have bright sun
      shine today, but when i visited the farms, the
      villagers are worried roads are impassable we are
      dejected we cannot get cereals, the prices is
      escalating, no public transport can reach here. The
      women might not weed their crops due to hunger. If we
      can get between 200$ to 300$ this will be enough
      because i am using them as a model of women who will
      discourage the rural to urban migration,
      sustainabillity though must come from a trial. I am
      making my own farm where horticural is my hope for
      survival. Dearly i am meeting the women tomorrow to
      contribute a secret to support their kitchen need,
      according to them anything consummable is vital and
      this time. Your stretched hand will be helpful. We
      also need containers to harvest rain water.
      More tomorrow after meeting.
      Samwel.

    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13 1:00 PM
        Hi Sam,
        I am overwhelmed by your idea on reduction of rural - urban migration through the use of sustainable income generating farming/Agriculture or agribusiness.

        Similar projects by several agricultural organisation like the CGIAR members in partnership with other organisations promoting agribusiness and food security have enganged communities into such projects from through research work. May be it will be a good start to look for some of this information and pick what seems to work in area or for your group, probably some possible support too - try and see if COL has anything related to your project this year, they sponsored the project via the COL PROTEIN 2007 same time with us when we did the Teacher Talking and the Winneba Open Digital Village, in Ghana. Janet and Pam can advisor more too.. I also did a COL/ IITA sponsored ICT enabled agribusiness project in Nigeria, if you want can share with you and see what works in your community.

        ICTs for agriculture and rural development in Kenya

        Kenyatta University is government-sponsored university in Kenya with more than 21,000 students. Through this project, the university seeks to reduce poverty among peasant farmers in Kakamega District in Western Kenya. Some 75 percent of farmers in this area live below the poverty line. The main reasons are lack of knowledge and information. The university is working with local partners to develop an agricultural knowledge ICT centre that will use computers, television, telephones and radio to deliver agricultural information to farmers and their families, enhancing their ability to access better markets and prices for their produce. Poor farmers and young women will benefit from the market information centres, access to jobs and income-generating activities.

        Think of anything that is also environment friendly like biogas business for household and small traders energy use such as lighting, cooking and preserving perishable food (vegitables, fish and meat) in rural community like Rusiga where fish has to be preserved using traditional methods like smoking that is not quit hygienic and lowers the value of the product.

        Lets discuss further for more ideas and possibilities..

        Regards,

        David

> [...]

        > attitude.
        > Samwel
        >
        > ------------ ---------
        >
        > Dear Sam and All,
        >
        > Very sad to hear about this! You are eloquent as
        > always, clearly
        > communicating the need for change. This needed
        > change must be local as well
        > as national and global. How can we as a group
        > address this?
        >
        > The themes of rebirth and transformation are surely
        > pertinent now, so in
        > that way Easter is as powerful as ever both as a
        > concept, and as an event
        > worth celebrating, albeit in a reflective way.
        >
        > The changes needed are in part structural, while
        > others--as you say--are
        > attitudinal, both on the part of those at the
        > grassroots, and on the part of
        > the rest of the world.
        >
        > With thanks for this perspective and greatest

        http://www.surveymo nkey.com/ s.aspx?sm= 5VvLrzLaXHc0i_ 2bh5XdOTxA_ 3d_3d

      • Janet Feldman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13 8:24 PM
          Dear Sasha, Tom, and All,

          WOW, thanks!! This looks excellent. What do you think, Tom?

          Tom, I think the Ministry of Agriculture should be helpful, though I
          understand that govt is sometimes very slow. There are many
          agriculture-related programs and orgs there in Kenya, or working in Kenya
          (even if headquartered elsewhere), and there should be outreach to them for
          help with seeds and fertilizers. Here are a few samples:

          http://seedsofselfreliance.org/OurMission.php
          http://www.gendergovernancekenya.org/themes/14 (gender, governance,
          peace...seeds included!)
          http://www.giveuswings.org/begin.php
          http://www.vetaid.org
          http://www.aatf-africa.org/UserFiles/File/dtmaizeinnovation.pdf
          http://www.idrc.ca/uploads/user-S/12039960521Kenya_eng_web.pdf

          a.. Catholic Relief Services
          In addition to emergency assistance after natural disasters, the C.R.S.
          undertakes projects to improve agricultural yields, provide water and
          sanitation assistance plus micro-financing for small businesses. Also builds
          schools and community based health care systems.
          b.. Doctors Without Borders
          International medical humanitarian organization that provides medical aid
          to "people whose survival is threatened" by disease, malnutrition, armed
          conflict or epidemics. Currently they are responding to the cholera outbreak
          in Zimbabwe. MWF received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999.
          c.. Heifer.org
          Non-profit organization that provides livestock, bees, tree seedlings,
          training and support to help villages and communities build sustainable
          futures. "Passing on the gift" occurs when "each family and community that
          receives assistance promises to repay their living loan by donating one or
          more of their animal's offspring to another family in need."
          d.. KickStart International
          Promotes sustainable cost-effective economic growth through small business
          development in rural areas of Kenya, Tanzania, Mali and Burkina Faso in
          order to fulfill their mission of lifting people out of poverty.
          e.. Oxfam
          Your gift will buy a goat, plant trees, buy seeds or irrigate farming land
          in one of the 120 countries that Oxfam operates in.
          f.. Partners in Health
          The PIH model of care is to partner with poor communities to combat
          disease and poverty. Active in the slums of Peru and Haiti, the organization
          is currently tackling the HIV pandemic in Rwanda and Lesotho.
          g.. Save the Children
          "Save the Children works in more that 50 countries, including the United
          States. to save and improve children's lives. through a wide range of
          programs: training new mothers with prenatal care, supplying life-saving
          immunizations for young children, building schools, improving literacy and
          nutrition for children."
          h.. UNICEF
          The United Nation's Children's Fund has one purpose "to help children
          survive." Their work includes life-saving projects such as clean water and
          sanitation, childhood vaccinations, food aid to prevent malnutrition,
          medical help for children with AIDS and education programs.
          i.. Women for Women International
          Helps "women survivors of war rebuild their lives."
          j.. World Vision
          International Christian relief and development organization that sponsors
          long-term development through building wells, micro-financing, seeds and
          tools etc. Choose from a wide range of ways to give at all income levels.
          Hopefully these will be helpful, at least in the longer-term. Sam and others
          there, do you know where to get some seeds and fertilizer as soon as
          possible? Tom, you should ask Hezekiah too.

          With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15 8:58 PM
            Dear David and All,

            Hello and wonderful to hear from you, including this excellent and detailed advice to Sam. I do not see a grant opportunity yet for COL-Protein, and I am surmising they may wait till 2010. I have some knowledge of the person taking the place of Krishna Alluri, who was instrumental in helping some of us in Kenya (GRASSUP and other initiatives) and Nigeria, so at some point we might be able to make links with him for further discussions.

            Below is also the url for CGIAR programs in Kenya, very much focused on crops research and sustainable agriculture. Kenyatta University would also be a great connection. I do not know anyone there:  does anyone in these forums?  Hopefully Benter Oballa, who is with the Ministry of Agriculture and posted the other day for Tom Ochuka, will have some ideas.

            I'll try to think of more and be more helpful if I can. David, are you in the USA yet, by the way?  It would be great to talk sometime!