Fwd: [mendenyo] Mohamed Yunus Book "How to change the world".

  • Pamela McLean
    Message 1 of 8 , May 25, 2008
      Hi Prosper, David Mutua , Chris Macrae, Sofia and everyone.

      Prosper - I am glad you are interested in the book. If I was able to get copies to you would you be able to organise a group  to read the book and discuss its ideas? Would the group (or a representative of the group) be able to share its thoughts online through Learning From Each Other and/or the worknets chat room at the "first Thursday" afternoon meetings?

      David - It seems that MInciu Sodas members often link between Kenya and Tanzania. If I am able to get some copies, and give them to you when you come to London for PCF5 would you take them back to Nairobi and then be able to get them carried on to Tanzania for Prosper?

      Chris could I have some copies for this purpose? Here is some more info about Uyogo http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Uyoga

      Sofia - would I collect the books from you? Please may I jog your memory to send me the map so I can get round to your office one evening - preferably when Mamading is likely to be there too - to pick up the books we have agreed for Nigeria? Maybe I could pick up some for ready for Tanzania at the same time.

      People who already have the book.  Please note chapter  9 - Information Technology, Globalisation and a Transformed World (especially page 197 about ISEP - IT Solutions to End Poverty) and chapter 11 - Putting Poverty in Museums ( especially page 228, Practical Steps toward the Dream-World of the Future).

      Chris - do you know the link to the website that Yunus mentions?

      Everyone - Minciu Sodas did so well in fighting violence through PoP (Pyramid of Peace). Can we now do something similar to fight one of the main causes of violence - poverty? How can we build on the pyramid to help build a better and more hopeful future? There will not be instant answers, but we cam rub minds. We can study and work together. We can share ideas. and try things out, and see what works. We can Learn From Each Other  - Face to Face, through the Internet, and through books.

      It is said that a mind once stretched by an idea will never return to its original shape.  Let us keep sharing what we know, learning together, and stretching our minds, so that we can find practical ways to build a better future.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 8 , May 25, 2008

        Pam - you are welcome to books but I have the logistics problem - most are with my father in wimbledon; I dont know if any of the london hubs or sofia still have stock

        In some ways the most exciting chapter of the book for everyone is the social actions in chapter 11 which is where I believe Pam is asking for a yunus web reference- his idea to have a portal where any youth team of 3 who commit to a community goal for a year can put up their diary of what went good or bad; see cases where other etams have similar goals; compare what youth see as important or do-able from one place to another

        This web isnt up yet for 2 reasons:

        citizens havent helped do any test projects -everyone is saying after you

        yunus has only a very few people in dhaka capable of doing great web executions and at the moment they building thousands of rural telecentres -so that huge worldwide debates representing the poor's voices on health, education, agriculture can transform the web - with funds from Intel and other bid west coast partners

        it is my guess that the social action portal will not be ready until summer 2009 though I have asked londoners who could have helped to do so -donated an appropriate web and resources but they havent done zip that us relevant to yuus idea

        conversely in america, up in new york there is a lot of youth momentum building up and even if we can connect this digitally we need to spread around usa in time to impact educational policies of the next president

        chris http://yunusuni.com  http://collaborationcafe.blogspot.com

        in case it helps I attach the 10 onme pagers that I nthought were most exciting when I first read the book n novemebr

> [...]

        www.nafsiafrica. org
        +254723568251

        --- In learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com, David mutua <davenzainga@ ...> wrote:

        > Dear Pam,
        > Good to know you are back to MSL, have had a discussion with Lawrence Achami on establishing an ICT enabled Peace and development center in Kuresoi as a follow up efforts of the peace work that has been done by POP and others and tying peace work with ICT efforts, this is thought to be a pilot project that can be replicated to other areas, Achami suggested that ICT acitivity will engage the youths that have been used in any fight over years in the area and will get many people informed, ICT center with a radio station might be an ideal thing for Achami and others advocating for peace to spread the information and development broadcasts.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
        A Smarter Email.
      • abinelimmanuel
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2008
          Hi pam,prosper and all.Am so much interested about this book,and its
          better for us Uyoga members to have a copy which will led us to share
          the good things on it.
          >>As what Prosper said,we have to know about how can we apply the
          knowledge in our life inorder to change the situation which is
          continue to distruct our future generation.
          >>So that when we will get itit will be better for us,we will organise
          ourselves to discuss as a group,then we will share with you people
          what is discused.
          >>I wish to learn from each other,by sharing and exchanging ideas with
          different people around this globalised world.
          Abinel Emmanuel,
          Uyoga member.
        • abinelimmanuel
          Message 4 of 8 , May 26, 2008