Re: Random word generator

  • Aldo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hi

      I found an excel word shuffler to be a bit more practical (rand
      function). Its like shuffling the same cards. The good thing is you
      can use the same 100 words over and over. If you like to work with
      certain words, like flannel, plinth, nude, nazgul, lightsaber,
      ferrari, howitzer, lambada etc, that method allows you to.

      Its not for memory sports training in particular though. Just for
      kicking the imagination into action with a bit of fun chucked in.

      Al

      --- In memorysports@yahoogroups.com, Michael Curtis <mick_curtis@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > If I understood the earlier discussion correctly,
      >
      > it's not just about separating words into nouns, adjectives, etc.
      > It's also about whether to have the word 'develop' or 'developed' or
      'developing'.

      > Your plan has something new to offer: highest score and a tool for
      mixing word sets together.
      > I think Simon's has scope for different character sets, by the sound
      of things. That would be a good feature to use. And to build up
      vocabulary in different languages.

      > Also, if your design is flexible then it could be adapted to be a
      face & name generator or a 2-sided flash card tool.

      http://www.nakedscience.com/articles/memory%20stunts/random%20number%20image/Random%20Word.html
      > It would be better to have a program like you suggest that allows
      the input of word lists without typing in Notepad.
      > In my case, I used an online list of words and edited it a bit. When
      a better word list finally gets made, I can plug it in.

      > PPS. I like the idea that your finished work could be published as
      two things: a program and a library of word lists. So, someone with
      their own software preference might keep their existing software but
      plug in the word lists - which are perhaps the most valuable resource.

      > PPPS. I don't know why we don't co-operate more - us memory enthusiasts.
      > Are we generaly introvert, in nature? Do we not like sharing our
      toys? Or are we just too busy with life's responsibilities? It puzzles me.

    • steviehullyyy@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 6, 2009
        Right here is a prediction that I want you all to remember. I am convinced Dominic will enter the WMC this year and do very well. Rumour has it he has been training very hard at an event last year entered the half hour cards and got 18 packs completely right I hear via a friend of a friend.

        You may doubt the story but this shows he is up there with Ben and the gang. It was always my feeling that he knew his old system wasn't going to win him anything so needed a total revamp. I suspect many things motivate him, but Arnie's ToTal Rebuild to reclaim Mr Universe and Phil Taylor's ongoing domination of darts events into his late 40s must help.

        Dominic will be back trust me. He would have changed his systems to those of Ben's and others and been practising hard.

        You heard it here first. Remember this email memory men!

      • enlightenedone1@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2009
          Ok, i'm almost finished. I still need to make some additions, fix the
          scoring mechanism, and polish the software.
          Also, the software architecture is pretty bad, IMO, so i'll need to
          revise it.

          A few screenshots of the current alpha version:
          1. Menu:

          http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=menualphaem5.jpg

          Here you can see possible parameters in manual mode. You can specify
          number of words, how they will be arranged and from which files they'll
          be selected.

          2. Words:

          http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wordsalpharj9.jpg

          Here is the table containing random generated words.

          3. Test:

          http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testalphava1.jpg

          Here you can recreate the table shown in the previous step.

          ------

          If you think anything else should be added to program, or if you don't
          like the interface, or if you have any other comment about the software,
          please comment. It's still not to late to make major revisions in the
          program.

          First usable version of the software will probably be uploaded till next
          week.

          --------------
          e/1
        • fredsoldati
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
            Mmm...I love Dominic, his books and his big contribute to the world
            of memory, but I'm quite sure he's not going to win again.
            I doubt that he switched to other methods... it would take to much
            work after years of Dominic System use. Moreover the skills of Ben
            and the other great champion are just becoming to strong to be beaten
            by Dominic.

            If you want we can bet that Dominic is not going to win anymore :)...

            Stevie... how's ended up your incredible best system of the world?
            You told that everybody will want to use it. That your creation is
            the most powerful system on the world and that it is a miracle of
            method.

            Here's the link:

            Why then aren't you the memory champion?
            You told you would have ranked 6th in the 2008 championship. Where
            are your results? Did you even take part?

            With my regards,

            Federico
          • steviehullyyy@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
              Fredsoldati,

              Don't rule Dominic out. Trust me. You heard it here first.

              All going very well with the system. I'm still on for victory in 2010.  2009 Dominic, 2010 me.
              Pointless entering in 2008 as none of you took me up on my bet! Big brave talk now but you failed to put your money where your mouth was.

              Anyhow, this thread is about Dominic, the king of memory not me and you.

              Seriously, why do you think Dominic could not have changed his system? 3 years is ample enough time to do that. He has done very little public memory stuff therefore it's not like he would be caught 'mid system' having to do major memorisation.

              Whatever you think of me, at least provide decent debate why Dominic couldn't win it next year. 18 packs of cards in half an hour is what he used to take an hour to do. Such a major improvement is unlikely to take place using the same system that had yielded only 10% of improvement the previous 6 years.

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/memoryspor ts/message/ 1293

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                Ok, :)...we will see.
                I think that Ben is gonna win the 2009 championsheep.
                As said, I like Dominic... but I don't think he's gonna get on the
                first three places this year's competition.

                Even if he had changed his system (what I don't believe) he would
                have no needs to hide his improvements to the community. Because of
                that I don't really understand where that rumors of "Dominic next
                champion" are coming from. Obvoiusly the more indicate person to give
                a prediction on this year ranking is probably Ben, and not me, as I
                also never took part to a competition

                You see, the memory world is not a casinò, nor a place to bet money
                and win huge amount of money. It's a passion. Live it like that.

                If you really have that great skills that you claim to possess, then
                take part to the championship and show everybody that your methods
                really are superior in front of the one wich are beeing used. You
                don't need money for that (as said it should be a passion). If you
                win, the honour is gonna be the best prize you could get.

                Remember to be always humble, becasue people don't like vain and self-
                centered person.

                Have a great day,

                Federico