memoQ (and other) keyboard shortcuts on virtual machine in Mac

  • Kari Koonin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
      Calling all Mac users...

      I've just switched to a Mac and I'm running memoQ successfully in Parallels. It works a treat (but that's not the issue today!).

      My question is this: some keyboard shortcuts don't work because of how the Mac keyboard is designed. How do you Mac users forward-delete a word in memoQ, for example? There's no Delete key on the Mac (grrr, only gripe so far). Outside Windows applications on the Mac you can do it with fn+Option+Backspace, but this doesn't work in memoQ or in other Windows applications.

      Any ideas?

      Many thanks
      Kari

    • Rob Grayson (New Horizons)

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
            That only deletes one letter at a time though. How do you delete whole words?

            Try fn + ctrl + backspace.
          • Kari Koonin
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
              Aha, that works! I must have missed that combo out in my quest for keyboard shortcut excellence ;-)

              Many thanks Rob, and thanks too to Karin for your link.

              Kari

              On 12 Mar 2012, at 12:52, Rob Grayson (New Horizons) wrote:

              That only deletes one letter at a time though. How do you delete whole words?

              Try fn + ctrl + backspace.

            • Karin Adamczyk
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
                Hello Kari,

                I've just switched to a Mac and I'm running memoQ successfully in Parallels. It works a treat (but that's not the issue today!).

                My question is this: some keyboard shortcuts don't work because of how the Mac keyboard is designed. How do you Mac users forward-delete a word in memoQ, for example? There's no Delete key on the Mac (grrr, only gripe so far). Outside Windows applications on the Mac you can do it with fn+Option+Backspace, but this doesn't work in memoQ or in other Windows applications.

                I have gathered some information on keyboard shortcuts for Windows on Macs at http://macswitchfrompc.wordpress.com/

                Take care,
                Karin Adamczyk
              • James Kirchner
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012
                  If you go into your System Preferences and click on Keyboard, there is an option to make the F keys function like regular F keys instead of having special Mac functions.

                  The trick is when you have a command that requires the Insert key. On older Mac keyboards, that was the Help key. Now that's been replaced by the fn key, and I've had to create custom commands in Windows programs that require the Insert key.

                  Jamie
                • Kari Koonin
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 12, 2012

                    Yes, the absence of an Insert key is something I had wondered about. Not so much a problem in memoQ but it is used for shortcut combinations in TagEditor, so that could be a problem as those are not configurable. However that's an issue for another forum!

                    Kari

                    On 12 Mar 2012, at 22:08, James Kirchner wrote:

                    If you go into your System Preferences and click on Keyboard, there is an option to make the F keys function like regular F keys instead of having special Mac functions.

                    The trick is when you have a command that requires the Insert key. On older Mac keyboards, that was the Help key. Now that's been replaced by the fn key, and I've had to create custom commands in Windows programs that require the Insert key.

                    Jamie

                  • Amy Bryant

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 13, 2012
                          On 12-03-13 3:21 AM, "Amy Bryant" <asb.lists@...> wrote:

                          Use another keyboard.

                          I was about to say …

                          I use an MS Wireless Laser keyboard. I don't like those flat Apple keyboards and this way I have all the keys I need.

                          Take care,
                          Karin