Re: The object of meditation

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14 10:36 AM

      -----
      >There should be an exercise of proper discrimination,
      > > the true rationality of ours has to take possession of us and free us
      > > from unnecessary emotions and sentimental exuberances of any kind.
      >
      > Absolutely true. Sentimental exuberances are the
      > plague of humanity, all kidding aside.

      yes, I second this

      > Emotions are simply thoughts which have grown to
      > larger size, until they are felt profoundly in the body.
      > Humor and grief are examples; have you noticed that
      > grief can lead to hysterical laughter, and humor can
      > unleash suppressed torrents of grief?
      >
      > What goes down, must come out.
      >
      > Noticing in meditation, can be aided by the practice
      > of Pointing Out. A skilled guide may point out, what
      > is being avoided,

      santmat meditation has the pointers
      builtin, the 'cleaning' goes on silent
      until all emotions and understandings
      are refined to be able to HOLD more and
      more of the Whole [be one with god's will]

      > or what is unnoticed due to gross
      > or subtle ignorance. Our own buffering systems can
      > deprive us of much-needed insight; an external mind-
      > pack will sometimes be of great assistance. >
      > > Spiritual seekers are certainly after God. This is very well
      > > known. But we must know who is our God. God is the fulfilling
      > > counterpart of the present state of our evolution.
      >
      > This statement should be deeply understood. This equates to
      > the videogame script of the 'boss of the current level'. Some-
      > times the boss has to be eliminated, before we can progress;
      > sometimes, the 'god' has to die, for us and in us.

      is this on the path from bhakti to jnana?

      > > Anything that is
      > > capable of making us complete, is our God.
      >
      > The Subgenius clan has a valuable concept; the Short-
      > duration personal saviour, or Shordurpursave. This is
      > whatever it takes to 'get you there' in the moment; it
      > can be a frosted glazed donut, or a hot fantasy of
      > Britney Spears. In that moment, indeed, it is our God.

      God save our children! from the dictates
      of massmedia

      > > Anything that allows us to
      > > remain partial is not going to satisfy us.
      >
      > Say it again, Swami!
      >
      > > That which completes our
      > > personality in any manner in any degree of its expression, is to be
      > > considered as our necessity, and teachers like Patanjali, who were
      > > great psychologists, have taken note of this important suggestion to
      > > be imparted to students.
      > >
      > > Swami Krishnanada
      >
      > It is important to understand the folly of over-reach.
      >
      > The idealistic 'shoulds' of authoritarian 'masters' and
      > their overzealous 'disciples' and various writings and
      > scriptures, tend to whip the aspirant into a frenzy which
      > resembles a 7th-grader on his first date, ablaze with
      > hormonal impetus.

      yes, healthy discrimination is hard to
      teach for a society grown-up, managed
      and brain-washed by TV adds

      > Our culture is replete with multiply redundant
      > reinforcements for over-achievment, punishments
      > for under-achiving, and the threat of everlasting
      > hells for 'failures'.

      'achieving' started as a dream of the
      New-World and today it is reality, if
      one is not giving 'it' all to the
      system one can't even pay rent in the
      wild wild west

      > Understanding this, the aspirant
      > will moderate 'seeking' behaviour, to less than
      > gut-busting intensity.
      >
      > We must also remain mindful of the onus of failure,
      > and that it should not be applied to our children.
      > There is no reasonable point to be discovered in
      > capturing another in a web of shame; and if you
      > yourself are trapped in such a web, know that it is
      > comprised of lies and other tactics of motivation
      > and 'control'.
      >
      > People are not to be toyed with; and there is a
      > special hell reserved for those who do not
      > understand this. Those who do not understand
      > this, are in that special hell, right now. It is our
      > choice to set them free, by modeling the kind of
      > insight that the author of this quoted article is
      > talking about. There is nothing to be gained, by
      > deliberately flommoxing the mind of another.
      >

      > ==Gene Poole==
      >

      > > This is an excerpt from the chapter titled "The Object of Meditation"
      > > from the book "An Introduction to The Philosophy of Yoga" by Sri Swami
      > > Krishnananda, published by The Divine Life Society, 1983
      > > The full text is at:
      >
      > http://www.dlsmd.org/teachings/krishnananda/object_of_meditation.htm

      Karta