Walt Whitman - Leaves of Grass

  • Judi Rhodes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      " I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and
      self-contain'd,
      I stand and look at them long and long.

      They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
      They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
      They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
      Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning
      things,
      Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years
      ago,
      Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth."

    • Sarojini
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003

        With Love to All:

                    May we all remember these words:

        MY spirit to yours, dear brother;

        Do not mind because many, sounding your name, do not understand you;

        I do not sound your name, but I understand you, (there are others also;)

        I specify you with joy, O my comrade, to salute you, and to salute those who are with you, before and sinceĀ—and those to come

        That we all labor together transmitting the same charge and succession,

        We few equals indifferent of lands, indifferent of times,

        We, enclosers of all continents, all castes, allowers of all theologies,

        Compassionaters, perceivers, rapport of men,

        We walk silent among disputes and assertions, but reject not the disputers: nor anything that is asserted,

        We hear the bawling and din, we are reach'd at by divisions, jealousies, recriminations on every side,

        They close peremptorily upon us to surround us, my comrade,

        Yet we walk unheld, free, the whole earth over, journeying up and down till we make our ineffaceable mark upon time and the diverse eras,

        Till we saturate time and eras, that the men and women of races, ages to come, may prove brethren and lovers as we are.

                               -- Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

                                            Peace and Love Always,

                                                    Sarojini