The object of meditation

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2003
      The object of meditation is the degree of reality aligned to our state
      of being. This is a sentence which may appear like an aphorism. We
      have to meditate only on that which is the exact counterpart of our
      present level of knowledge and comprehension. There should not be any
      mistake in the choice of the object. If the object is properly chosen,
      the mind will spontaneously come under control. The restlessness and
      the resentment of the mind is due to a wrong choice that is made id
      the beginning. Often we are too enthusiastic and try to go above our
      own heads. The mind is not prepared to accept such a sudden revolution
      which is beyond not only its comprehension but also its present needs
      or necessities.

      There may be many good things in the world, but they may not all
      be necessary for us. It should not mean that merely because something
      is grand and great, it should be the proper thing for us all. A thing
      may be, on the other band, small and insignificant, but it may be just
      the thing that we need, and we should not be under the impression that
      it is a small petty thing. Often we are happy over petty things, and
      they cease to be petty when they become our needs and then they assume
      an importance. There should be an exercise of proper discrimination,
      the true rationality of ours has to take possession of us and free us
      from unnecessary emotions and sentimental exuberances of any kind.

      Spiritual seekers are certainly after God. This is very well
      known. But we must know who is our God. God is the fulfilling
      counterpart of the present state of our evolution. Anything that is
      capable of making us complete, is our God. Anything that allows us to
      remain partial is not going to satisfy us. That which completes our
      personality in any manner in any degree of its expression, is to be
      considered as our necessity, and teachers like Patanjali, who were
      great psychologists, have taken note of this important suggestion to
      be imparted to students.

      Swami Krishnanada

      This is an excerpt from the chapter titled "The Object of Meditation"
      from the book "An Introduction to The Philosophy of Yoga" by Sri Swami
      Krishnananda, published by The Divine Life Society, 1983
      The full text is at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/teachings/krishnananda/object_of_meditation.htm
    • Gene Poole
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2003
        >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > The object of meditation is the degree of reality aligned to our state
        > of being. This is a sentence which may appear like an aphorism.

        Perhaps so.

        If we see reality in degrees, how do we know the full
        compass? But the point is taken, anyway.

        If we understand 'meditation' to be a remedial exercise,
        a way to bring the aspirant from kindergarten to first
        grade, a way to fix or calm, such words make perfect
        sense. Those who have meditated 'effectively' may
        notice this, but reserve comment, for what is gained
        by depriving of needed remedy?

        > We
        > have to meditate only on that which is the exact counterpart of our
        > present level of knowledge and comprehension. There should not be any
        > mistake in the choice of the object. If the object is properly chosen,
        > the mind will spontaneously come under control. The restlessness and
        > the resentment of the mind is due to a wrong choice that is made in
        > the beginning. Often we are too enthusiastic and try to go above our
        > own heads. The mind is not prepared to accept such a sudden revolution
        > which is beyond not only its comprehension but also its present needs
        > or necessities.

        Yes to that... sort of.

        If we are leaning to drive, the first lessons should not
        be on the freeway. The first lessons should be in a big
        empty parking lot. Familiarity with the controls is a
        necessity.

        Maybe a minor collision or two will help to embed the
        proper attitude of caution. This could be the accidental
        crushing of a properly placed traffic-cone, during a parking
        exercise. Better that, then somebody's car, with the concurrent
        issues of insurancej payments to the injured party.

        But meditation does not have an injured party. Or does it?

        > There may be many good things in the world, but they may not all
        > be necessary for us. It should not mean that merely because something
        > is grand and great, it should be the proper thing for us all. A thing
        > may be, on the other band, small and insignificant, but it may be just
        > the thing that we need, and we should not be under the impression that
        > it is a small petty thing. Often we are happy over petty things, and
        > they cease to be petty when they become our needs and then they assume
        > an importance. There should be an exercise of proper discrimination,
        > the true rationality of ours has to take possession of us and free us
        > from unnecessary emotions and sentimental exuberances of any kind.

        Absolutely true. Sentimental exuberances are the
        plague of humanity, all kidding aside.

        Emotions are simply thoughts which have grown to
        larger size, until they are felt profoundly in the body.
        Humor and grief are examples; have you noticed that
        grief can lead to hysterical laughter, and humor can
        unleash suppressed torrents of grief?

        What goes down, must come out.

        Noticing in meditation, can be aided by the practice
        of Pointing Out. A skilled guide may point out, what
        is being avoided, or what is unnoticed due to gross
        or subtle ignorance. Our own buffering systems can
        deprive us of much-needed insight; an external mind-
        pack will sometimes be of great assistance.

        > Spiritual seekers are certainly after God. This is very well
        > known. But we must know who is our God. God is the fulfilling
        > counterpart of the present state of our evolution.

        This statement should be deeply understood. This equates to
        the videogame script of the 'boss of the current level'. Some-
        times the boss has to be eliminated, before we can progress;
        sometimes, the 'god' has to die, for us and in us.

        > Anything that is
        > capable of making us complete, is our God.

        The Subgenius clan has a valuable concept; the Short-
        duration personal saviour, or Shordurpursave. This is
        whatever it takes to 'get you there' in the moment; it
        can be a frosted glazed donut, or a hot fantasy of
        Britney Spears. In that moment, indeed, it is our God.

        > Anything that allows us to
        > remain partial is not going to satisfy us.

        Say it again, Swami!

        > That which completes our
        > personality in any manner in any degree of its expression, is to be
        > considered as our necessity, and teachers like Patanjali, who were
        > great psychologists, have taken note of this important suggestion to
        > be imparted to students.
        >
        > Swami Krishnanada

        It is important to understand the folly of over-reach.

        The idealistic 'shoulds' of authoritarian 'masters' and
        their overzealous 'disciples' and various writings and
        scriptures, tend to whip the aspirant into a frenzy which
        resembles a 7th-grader on his first date, ablaze with
        hormonal impetus.

        Our culture is replete with multiply redundant
        reinforcements for over-achievment, punishments
        for under-achiving, and the threat of everlasting
        hells for 'failures'. Understanding this, the aspirant
        will moderate 'seeking' behaviour, to less than
        gut-busting intensity.

        We must also remain mindful of the onus of failure,
        and that it should not be applied to our children.
        There is no reasonable point to be discovered in
        capturing another in a web of shame; and if you
        yourself are trapped in such a web, know that it is
        comprised of lies and other tactics of motivation
        and 'control'.

        People are not to be toyed with; and there is a
        special hell reserved for those who do not
        understand this. Those who do not understand
        this, are in that special hell, right now. It is our
        choice to set them free, by modeling the kind of
        insight that the author of this quoted article is
        talking about. There is nothing to be gained, by
        deliberately flommoxing the mind of another.

        ==Gene Poole==

        > This is an excerpt from the chapter titled "The Object of Meditation"
        > from the book "An Introduction to The Philosophy of Yoga" by Sri Swami
        > Krishnananda, published by The Divine Life Society, 1983
        > The full text is at:

        http://www.dlsmd.org/teachings/krishnananda/object_of_meditation.htm
      • satkartar7
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2003

          -----
          >There should be an exercise of proper discrimination,
          > > the true rationality of ours has to take possession of us and free us
          > > from unnecessary emotions and sentimental exuberances of any kind.
          >
          > Absolutely true. Sentimental exuberances are the
          > plague of humanity, all kidding aside.

          yes, I second this

          > Emotions are simply thoughts which have grown to
          > larger size, until they are felt profoundly in the body.
          > Humor and grief are examples; have you noticed that
          > grief can lead to hysterical laughter, and humor can
          > unleash suppressed torrents of grief?
          >
          > What goes down, must come out.
          >
          > Noticing in meditation, can be aided by the practice
          > of Pointing Out. A skilled guide may point out, what
          > is being avoided,

          santmat meditation has the pointers
          builtin, the 'cleaning' goes on silent
          until all emotions and understandings
          are refined to be able to HOLD more and
          more of the Whole [be one with god's will]

          > or what is unnoticed due to gross
          > or subtle ignorance. Our own buffering systems can
          > deprive us of much-needed insight; an external mind-
          > pack will sometimes be of great assistance. >
          > > Spiritual seekers are certainly after God. This is very well
          > > known. But we must know who is our God. God is the fulfilling
          > > counterpart of the present state of our evolution.
          >
          > This statement should be deeply understood. This equates to
          > the videogame script of the 'boss of the current level'. Some-
          > times the boss has to be eliminated, before we can progress;
          > sometimes, the 'god' has to die, for us and in us.

          is this on the path from bhakti to jnana?

          > > Anything that is
          > > capable of making us complete, is our God.
          >
          > The Subgenius clan has a valuable concept; the Short-
          > duration personal saviour, or Shordurpursave. This is
          > whatever it takes to 'get you there' in the moment; it
          > can be a frosted glazed donut, or a hot fantasy of
          > Britney Spears. In that moment, indeed, it is our God.

          God save our children! from the dictates
          of massmedia

          > > Anything that allows us to
          > > remain partial is not going to satisfy us.
          >
          > Say it again, Swami!
          >
          > > That which completes our
          > > personality in any manner in any degree of its expression, is to be
          > > considered as our necessity, and teachers like Patanjali, who were
          > > great psychologists, have taken note of this important suggestion to
          > > be imparted to students.
          > >
          > > Swami Krishnanada
          >
          > It is important to understand the folly of over-reach.
          >
          > The idealistic 'shoulds' of authoritarian 'masters' and
          > their overzealous 'disciples' and various writings and
          > scriptures, tend to whip the aspirant into a frenzy which
          > resembles a 7th-grader on his first date, ablaze with
          > hormonal impetus.

          yes, healthy discrimination is hard to
          teach for a society grown-up, managed
          and brain-washed by TV adds

          > Our culture is replete with multiply redundant
          > reinforcements for over-achievment, punishments
          > for under-achiving, and the threat of everlasting
          > hells for 'failures'.

          'achieving' started as a dream of the
          New-World and today it is reality, if
          one is not giving 'it' all to the
          system one can't even pay rent in the
          wild wild west

          > Understanding this, the aspirant
          > will moderate 'seeking' behaviour, to less than
          > gut-busting intensity.
          >
          > We must also remain mindful of the onus of failure,
          > and that it should not be applied to our children.
          > There is no reasonable point to be discovered in
          > capturing another in a web of shame; and if you
          > yourself are trapped in such a web, know that it is
          > comprised of lies and other tactics of motivation
          > and 'control'.
          >
          > People are not to be toyed with; and there is a
          > special hell reserved for those who do not
          > understand this. Those who do not understand
          > this, are in that special hell, right now. It is our
          > choice to set them free, by modeling the kind of
          > insight that the author of this quoted article is
          > talking about. There is nothing to be gained, by
          > deliberately flommoxing the mind of another.
          >

          > ==Gene Poole==
          >

          > > This is an excerpt from the chapter titled "The Object of Meditation"
          > > from the book "An Introduction to The Philosophy of Yoga" by Sri Swami
          > > Krishnananda, published by The Divine Life Society, 1983
          > > The full text is at:
          >
          > http://www.dlsmd.org/teachings/krishnananda/object_of_meditation.htm

          Karta