One fart blows me across the river

  • Sandeep Chatterjee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2003

      An avid student of Buddhist teachings, would often discuss them with a Master Foyin.
      The two lived across the river from one another

      One day, the student felt inspired and wrote the following poem:

      I bow my head to the heaven within heaven
      Hairline rays illuminating the universe
      The eight winds cannot move me
      Sitting still upon the purple golden lotus

      Impressed by himself, the student dispatched somebody to hand-carry this poem to the Master.

      He felt certain that the Master would be just as impressed, maybe be even recognize his enlightenment.

      The "eight winds" in the poem referred to praise, ridicule, honor, disgrace, gain, loss, pleasure and misery - interpersonal forces of the material world that drove and influenced the hearts of men. The student was saying that he had attained a higher level of spirituality, where these forces no longer affected him.

      Smiling, the Master wrote "Fart" on the manuscript and had it returned to the student across the river.

      Expecting compliments and a seal of approval, the student was shocked when he saw what the Master had written.

       He hit the roof: "How dare he insult me like this? Why that lousy old Master! He's got a lot of explaining to do!"

      Full of indignation, the student got into a boat and ferried himself to the other shore as quickly as possible.

      Once there, he jumped off and charged into the hut where the Master lived. He wanted to find the Master and demand an apology.

      He found the Master's door closed. On the door was a piece of paper, with the following two lines:

      The eight winds cannot move me
      One fart blows me across the river

      Ramana can be quoted at the drop of the hat.

      "I AM THAT" can be re-written from memory

      All the neat rejoinders to the question  Who am I, can be given, with nonchalance.

      Consciousness, has been dissected, explained, .......esoteric prosing bettered, like never before.

      And yet one fart brings, frothing across Cyber Lists.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2003
        Sandeep Chatterjee <sandeepc@b...> wrote:

        > An avid student of Buddhist teachings, would often discuss them with
        a Master Foyin.
        > The two lived across the river from one another
        >
        > One day, the student felt inspired and wrote the following poem:
        > I bow my head to the heaven within heaven
        > Hairline rays illuminating the universe
        > The eight winds cannot move me
        > Sitting still upon the purple golden lotus
        >
        > Impressed by himself, the student dispatched somebody to hand-carry
        this poem to the Master.

        > He felt certain that the Master would be just as impressed, maybe be
        even recognize his enlightenment.

        > The "eight winds" in the poem referred to praise, ridicule, honor,
        disgrace, gain, loss, pleasure and misery - interpersonal forces of
        the material world that drove and influenced the hearts of men. The
        student was saying that he had attained a higher level of
        spirituality, where these forces no longer affected him.

        > Smiling, the Master wrote "Fart" on the manuscript and had it
        returned to the student across the river.

        > Expecting compliments and a seal of approval, the student was
        shocked when he saw what the Master had written.

        > He hit the roof: "How dare he insult me like this? Why that lousy
        old Master! He's got a lot of explaining to do!"

        > Full of indignation, the student got into a boat and ferried himself
        to the other shore as quickly as possible.

        > Once there, he jumped off and charged into the hut where the Master
        lived. He wanted to find the Master and demand an apology.

        > He found the Master's door closed. On the door was a piece of paper,
        with the following two lines:

        > The eight winds cannot move me
        > One fart blows me across the river
        >

        > Ramana can be quoted at the drop of the hat.
        >
        > "I AM THAT" can be re-written from memory
        >
        > All the neat rejoinders to the question Who am I, can be given,
        with nonchalance.

        > Consciousness, has been dissected, explained, .......esoteric
        prosing bettered, like never before.

        > And yet one fart brings, frothing across Cyber Lists.

        Thank you Sandeep. This blew me away:-)
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2003
          > > And yet one fart brings, frothing across Cyber Lists.
          >
          > Thank you Sandeep. This blew me away:-)

          Stinks, doesn't it? Pee-yew!