Re: [Meditation Society of America] coma consciousness

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003

      >Today in the news: man awakes from a 19-year coma.
      >Later, I scanned the internet for other tales of awakenings from
      comas.
      >I would love to speak with some of these people.

      Hi Nina,

      You might enjoy reading some of
      Stanislov Grof's fascinating accounts
      of working with people in coma.

      I heard him once speak of this on
      the PBS show:  Thinking Aloud with
      Jeffrey Mislowe.(sp?)

      And I also read a book once: "The
      Adventure of Self Discovery".

      He speaks of coma as an opportunity
      for people to "work things out"...
      in a manner of speaking....a kind of
      'time out' from ordinary waking life.

      His testimony about working with
      people in coma - to facilitate this
      'working out' - was fascinating to me.

      He'd find ways of accessing them by
      amplifying any kind of verbal or
      physical cues they'd give.  Kind of
      like building a language with what
      is presented.   Whether it was an
      occasional "whooo!!", an eye twitch,
      jerking arm...whatever.

      Was really an interesting listen.

      Melody

    • Nina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
        <melodyande@c...> wrote:

        > >Today in the news: man awakes from a 19-year coma.
        >
        > >Later, I scanned the internet for other tales of awakenings from
        > comas.
        >
        > >I would love to speak with some of these people.
        >

        > Hi Nina,
        >
        > You might enjoy reading some of
        > Stanislov Grof's fascinating accounts
        > of working with people in coma.
        >
        > I heard him once speak of this on
        > the PBS show: Thinking Aloud with
        > Jeffrey Mislowe.(sp?)
        >
        > And I also read a book once: "The
        > Adventure of Self Discovery".
        >
        > He speaks of coma as an opportunity
        > for people to "work things out"...
        > in a manner of speaking....a kind of
        > 'time out' from ordinary waking life.
        <snip>
        > Was really an interesting listen.
        >
        > Melody

        Wow, thanks, Melody. I'll check into it!

        Nina