inspired nafs self-aggrandizement

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2003
      SR: Yes. For instance, if we stay with
      the stages of the nafs, what happens
      next, after the regretful nafs, is
      that we come to what's called the
      "inspired nafs," the inspired self in
      which the wisdom of the heart, the
      wisdom of that inner light, begins to
      come more and more into the personality,
      into consciousness, so that we really
      have an alternative now to the forces of
      the egowhich is intuition, a sense of guidance, a sense of connection to truth.

      The problem is that the lower forces are still somewhat in action.

      The reign of the ego is not by any
      means over, and the biggest danger,
      of course, is that the ego can begin to
      use the wisdom and the light for self-aggrandizement, for inflation,
      rather than for self-diminishment.

      Ideally, one says, "This light isn't
      mine, this wisdom isn't mine. It's
      something that comes through me. It's something from another source." But the
      ego wants to say, "This is my wisdom.
      I know."

      There is an interesting book that's
      just recently out by Mariana Caplan
      called Halfway Up the Mountainwhich is
      a bad metaphor because it's probably
      an endless mountainbut it talks about
      many of the dangers of having spiritual teachers who are halfway up the mountain,
      but have somehow stopped at this stage.

      It's the most dangerous stage of all
      because if the ego gets inflated with
      real wisdom, real light, it's very hard
      to change things. Because the light is
      real, the wisdom is real.

      The only problem is that the ego begins
      to attribute it to itself, not to
      something greater than itself. And so
      the self gets firmer, crystallized even;
      but what we want, of course, is for
      the self to become more transparent,
      less of a "thing," lighter.

      http://www.wie.org/j17/frager1.asp