Practical advice

  • simon_2011us
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi,

      I have run into a problem and seem to have given myself a mental
      tick, that is something recurring and hard to control. I have been
      very interested in the Buddist way and have tried hard while walking
      daily to be in the moment. I have had brief flashes of nowness, which
      have grown easier to prolong and I achieved a nice feeling of general
      joy. I felt that I would try some more typical Za Zen meditation last
      week in a sitting position and just quietly focussed my mind for
      about 10 minutes.

      I am a keen musician (drummer) and have a lot of music in my genes (
      previous lives I guess). Anyway after my meditation I sat down and
      practiced as usual and at the end of my session listened to one of my
      favourite pieces of music, Speechless by Weather Report.

      Now to my problem, Speechless has now been replaying itself
      continuously in my inner ear for 48 hours and I feel a sense of panic
      rising within me which is very disturbing, I need some concrete
      advice to help me shut down the internal jukebox. It sounds really
      bizare but believe me I am handicapped by this and trying to stay
      calm.

      Thanks for any help you can give.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        Hello....Here is where Mantra is very helpful. Your mind is force
        feeding you what it wants, and needs to be tamed. This can be done by
        giving it a task to do, and Mantra is one of the most beneficial and
        easy tasks you can assign it. There is a nice article titled Neti
        Neti
        in the original sample issue of our newsletter, The Inner Traveler,
        that deals well with this. The URL for that issue is:
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/its9091/index.html
        Please let us know of your success.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
          Hi again,
          I just checked and the title of the article I mentioned in the
          Enjoy!