hatha yoga was Re: Sahaja Samadhi

  • satkartar7
    Message 1 of 53 , Jul 3, 2003
      > You mention that the classic reason to practice hatha yoga is not to
      > gain strength or flexibility, but to be able to sit in meditation
      > without being distracted by the body. This may be the case, and while
      > it might seem to (implictly) invalidate other reasons, it does not.
      >
      > There are plenty of reasons people practice hatha yoga: to
      > relax/restore; for physical or psychological therapy; for exercise;
      > to gain strength, flexibility and agility; for self-image and so
      > forth. It is possible to understand all of those reasons as
      > indicators that a person is looking for enlightenment in some form.
      > Enlightenment can be as simple as having one burden dissolved.
      >
      > One suffers from carpal tunnel syndrome, one learns to abide the pain
      > without suffering, one learns to correct the alignments in the body
      > that contribute to the pain.
      >
      > One suffers from chronic stress reactions, one learns to recognize
      > the warning signs of stress, one learns to slow and even halt the
      > process of reaction to stress, one learns to refigure the stressors.
      >
      > One suffers from any manner of physical or mental burden, one
      > practices facing these burdens, learning the nature of these burdens,
      > and then, ultimately, learns to be 'in charge' of those burdens.
      >
      > These are enlightenments, just as much as any mystical 'big whammy'.
      > Enlightenment is ongoing, incremental; lighter and lighter, every
      > moment. The burdens may not disappear, but the experience of the
      > burdens does.
      >
      > That is the nature of the practice. You begin the practice for
      > whatever reason, but eventually, the reasons give way to an
      > embodiment of the practice.
      >
      > On a side note, personally I really enjoy the directness and
      > palpability of working with the body to understand the enlightenment
      > experience. It is such that, given a bit of practice, one can read
      > shifts of consciousness of another by observing the shifts of
      > alignment and manner of motion in their body. Hatha yoga, and by this
      > I mean the 'manner of practice' moreso than the 'form of practice'
      > (asanas), is unique in that it asks the practicioner to directly
      > embody the process of enlightenment.
      >
      > But here's the catch, at some point, one realizes that the body is
      > incredibly resilient, and that it is in constant conversation with
      > its total environment.

      Nina, do you mean connection to Gaia?
      or just one's own spirit and health
      etc?

      this is where I got a surprise: I
      noticed while 'cleaning' my chakras
      with yoga, that I am connected to others
      in the room and eventually I noticed,
      that we humans [maybe al life] are
      connected

      I would greatly appreciate your wise
      input on this for my Gaia page

      I know, that some of the advanced
      yoga-class instructors notice this
      amplified chi force around some students

      did you ever notice, that some students
      have a radius around them and they
      influence with their aura their neighbors?

      being well is contagious, so is being disturbed; if a 'noisy' mind comes in
      to the room I can sense it not even
      looking..

      > One might see radical change in the body
      > through the practice of hatha yoga, but how much effort it takes to
      > embody these changes such that they become 'nature' and do not bend,
      > once again, back into the old conversational patterns! When can the
      > practice be let go? When has the practice become so embodied that it
      > will carry itself? I suspect, that as long as one has a body, this
      > tension between the practice and the total environment will exist.
      >
      > Nina

      Karta
    • texasbg2000
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2003

        > You're welcome, and glad for the chuckle, Bobby.
        >
        > And yes, we must always keep in mind the
        > unrembemberable.
        >
        > Love,
        > Dan

        Hi Dan:

        Always good to hear from you. If you decide to run for prez I will
        vote for you.

        Love
        Bobby G.