Re: Sahaja Samadhi

  • devianandi
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 30, 2003
      devi: that was a funny story,,i personally think yoga theory is more
      important then asana, but i don't think i'd confuse students out of
      their asanas by giving speeches... but thats just me..everyone is
      where their at...anyway, i posted that essay becuase when gangak left
      the topic was *coming and going* sahaja samadhi and nirvikalp, maria
      was questioning her yoga samadhis and i thought that essay might
      help..the book i copied it from discusses *samadhi* through all the
      differnt paths, i think the author was particullary fond of
      ramakrishna...

      so nina, am i right to understand that you practice asanas but have
      no idea abou words like nivikalpa samadhi, or dyhana or darana for
      example?

      > For some time, I assisted another teacher in her classes. She had
      > decided that in her teaching, she was better suited to teaching
      > philosophy than asana. So, in her yoga classes, she would put
      people
      > in asanas, but spend most of the time talking about philosophy. My
      > job was to go around and provide adjustments (and teach asana) as
      the
      > other teacher led the sequence.
      >
      > Numerous times, as I looked out across a sea of 35 to 75 people,
      many
      > of them struggling to breathe or with easily correctable basic
      > alignment snafoos, the other teacher plunged on through elaborate
      > discussions of koshas, states of mind, etc., leaving students
      hanging
      > precariously in their joints or falling out of the asana, further
      > distracting students' presence in the moment. And that was just
      > during the class - it says nothing of what these students took with
      > them from the class.
      >
      > There is a real sweetness available in working with what is given,
      no
      > matter how humble-seeming, like how to find ease in the body right
      > now, rather than striving for something that isn't present, like
      > comprehension of sanskrit words and foreign spiritual concepts
      while
      > literally standing on one's head. LOL!
      >
      > Of course, there is room for discussing philosophy in groups such
      as
      > these, so consider the above a counterperspective, rather than
      > critique, of what was submitted.
      >
      > Nina
    • texasbg2000
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2003

        > You're welcome, and glad for the chuckle, Bobby.
        >
        > And yes, we must always keep in mind the
        > unrembemberable.
        >
        > Love,
        > Dan

        Hi Dan:

        Always good to hear from you. If you decide to run for prez I will
        vote for you.

        Love
        Bobby G.