Re: Sahaja Samadhi

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 30, 2003
      > When the sphere of Jnana Yoga is considered, it must be appreciated
      > that at this stage in man's evolution the fruits gained long ago
      > through Hatha Yoga are an integral part of his nature and only very
      > modified practices are needed to maintain a body fit for further
      > development. ON the same principle, not much atte3ntion needs to be
      > paid to Raja Yoga practices as such, at this stage the effort is to
      > be made to control the mind itself consciously: the Samadhis gained
      > on this level are varied and multiple and we have classified them
      in
      > toto as Manomaya Samadhi, or concerning consciously the mental
      plane.
      > Whatever be the attainment from the Jnani point of view and
      whatever
      > be the term used, we are classifying the Samadhis of these schools
      > all as Manomaya Samadhi. All types and grades of Samadhi starting
      > with the ordinary mental plane-then the higher mental plane- then
      the
      > intellectual and then the intuitional are included in this
      > classification. It is sometimes claimed that Nirvikalpa Samadhi
      tops
      > all as the goal to be achieved.

      For some time, I assisted another teacher in her classes. She had
      decided that in her teaching, she was better suited to teaching
      philosophy than asana. So, in her yoga classes, she would put people
      in asanas, but spend most of the time talking about philosophy. My
      job was to go around and provide adjustments (and teach asana) as the
      other teacher led the sequence.

      Numerous times, as I looked out across a sea of 35 to 75 people, many
      of them struggling to breathe or with easily correctable basic
      alignment snafoos, the other teacher plunged on through elaborate
      discussions of koshas, states of mind, etc., leaving students hanging
      precariously in their joints or falling out of the asana, further
      distracting students' presence in the moment. And that was just
      during the class - it says nothing of what these students took with
      them from the class.

      There is a real sweetness available in working with what is given, no
      matter how humble-seeming, like how to find ease in the body right
      now, rather than striving for something that isn't present, like
      comprehension of sanskrit words and foreign spiritual concepts while
      literally standing on one's head. LOL!

      Of course, there is room for discussing philosophy in groups such as
      these, so consider the above a counterperspective, rather than
      critique, of what was submitted.

      Nina
    • texasbg2000
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2003

        > You're welcome, and glad for the chuckle, Bobby.
        >
        > And yes, we must always keep in mind the
        > unrembemberable.
        >
        > Love,
        > Dan

        Hi Dan:

        Always good to hear from you. If you decide to run for prez I will
        vote for you.

        Love
        Bobby G.