Sahaja Samadhi

  • devianandi
    Message 1 of 53 , Jun 30, 2003
      Jnana Yoga, (sorry i lost the cover with th authors name and title)

      When the sphere of Jnana Yoga is considered, it must be appreciated
      that at this stage in man's evolution the fruits gained long ago
      through Hatha Yoga are an integral part of his nature and only very
      modified practices are needed to maintain a body fit for further
      development. ON the same principle, not much atte3ntion needs to be
      paid to Raja Yoga practices as such, at this stage the effort is to
      be made to control the mind itself consciously: the Samadhis gained
      on this level are varied and multiple and we have classified them in
      toto as Manomaya Samadhi, or concerning consciously the mental plane.
      Whatever be the attainment from the Jnani point of view and whatever
      be the term used, we are classifying the Samadhis of these schools
      all as Manomaya Samadhi. All types and grades of Samadhi starting
      with the ordinary mental plane-then the higher mental plane- then the
      intellectual and then the intuitional are included in this
      classification. It is sometimes claimed that Nirvikalpa Samadhi tops
      all as the goal to be achieved.
      Carried to its culmination in Nirvikalpa Samadhi, the body functions
      stop and the body is inert with no consciousness of the I at all.
      Others may say that either Sthitha Samadhi or Sahaj Samadhi, is a
      higher goal.
      In the former type of Samadhi, the concentration stabilizes to such
      an extent that the focus and realization of I-ness or the nature of
      the soul or of the Supreme Being remains most predominate and the
      mind becomes oblivious to worldly responsibilities. Sahaj Samadhi, as
      we have styled it, is a mixed state wherein man after experiencing
      the value of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, can constantly and simultaneously
      play in this world and the other more subtle worlds also.
      How these are to be achieved may also lead to a lengthy discussion,
      at least from the philosophical and psychological point of view,
      there are many explanations and commentaries on the grades or
      hierarchies of Samadhis in the Jnana fields starting with the mental
      plane and onwards to the intuitional plane. But here we will on our
      part only summarize in the basis of Sri Ramakrishna's utterings.
      The soul in its grossest form is full of desires when it acts in the
      mental sphere; mind and soul are mixed and we can say that mind is
      impure soul" when mind mixes with desires it loses its luster and
      purity. The more the mind becomes pure, the more it expresses as soul
      in its purity or unmixed state. On this basis, the various schools of
      thought classify the mental states as mental, intellectual;
      intuitional, etc. In the highest state, mind is nothing but pure
      soul itself.
      We have discussed the role of Vaisnabs and the different moods or
      Bhavas that are experienced through their devotional practices. To
      achieve these moods, the devotee may establish a relationship to his
      or her Ishta, leading to the realization or experience of the
      Absolute or the Supreme Being. Ishta means a Concrete Divine Form
      carved out of the absolute for the convenience of the devotee.
      The Ishta is a form of Divinity that can represent either one or many
      qualities of Divinity. The devotee selects the Ishta that most nearly
      satisfies the highest aspiration of his nature. Through devotion to
      the Ishta he extracts what he wants out of the Supreme Being. Then as
      he develops more mature moods of love towards his Ishta, he
      eventually reaches the same experience of the Absolute that is the
      goal of the Jnani, but when he reaches the highest maturity of his
      practice, he not only experiences God as Absolute, about Whom nothing
      can be said, but he also can fall back, whenever he wants, to taste
      the syrup in his love for his Ishta. In this way, all of the facets
      of his nature comes into play, his emotional quality in love for the
      Ishta, his intellectual quality in realizing the greatest Reality
      that God is One Indivisible, together with the volitional aspect in
      his play with and in Divinity.
      When the Bhakta-through his devotional practices – transcends the
      orthodox view of all the possible relationships with God, starting
      from the Shanta mood (calm-peaceful mood that comes from the first
      realization that God takes care of the devotee), to the Dasya
      (servant) relationship, to Batshya (filial) to Sakhya (friendship),
      to Madhur (love of beloved to beloved) there comes a merging of all
      of these love values into one value.
      To describe this value or relationship with Divinity we must turn to
      tantra. They say when all of these moods are converged into one value
      and are expressed as one mood, which merges as a combination of a
      son's or daughters love of mother, with a tinge of the love of
      beloved-to-beloved, the picture is complete. All of the variations of
      moods which come from the practices of the various relationships with
      Divinity as Person which mature into Samadhi we are classifying as
      Bhava Samadhi.
      Sahaj Samadhi (as described above) when flavored with the realization
      that the forms in the world are all the forms of the Ishta is the
      highest goal: when this state reaches its peak a Samadhi like
      Nirvikalpa Samadhi coming n this wake would be a pause between the
      Vijnanamayakosha and the Anandamaya kosha.

      > > > G: if there is coming and going then it isn't sahaja and it
      isn't

      > > > realization.....
      > >
      > > This is something i needed to hear once again. If i take this for
      > > true, then i feel greatly liberated for i am not realized. I am
      > > quite convinced that not only a Nirvikalpa samadhi is needed to
      > > realize (it is necessary, but not all). A stabilization with
      > > absolute no identification is something which i do not have
      >
      > Nobody does, mi corazon,
      > not even the most Famous
      > of Famous Dead Guys[tm]
      > -- that's very much my
      > point here! :-)
      >
      > Someone so "stabilized"
      > would be physically
      > vegetative and require
      > constant bodily
      > maintenance from helpers.
      > Such a "stable" dweller
      > in non-identity could
      > certainly not hold forth
      > like all the Famous Dead
      > Guys[tm] obviously did --
      > s/he would not even
      > answer when called by
      > name!
      >
      > > (sahaja). I am speaking for myself once and again. I was always
      > > wondering why my Guru always said to me: MARIA COMES AND
      > > GOES...LET
      > > HER GO. And my question has always been (although i haven't had
      the

      > > opportunity of asking him lately) how do i do this? And i
      > > am coming
      > > to observe that there is nothing that i can do, but just a
      > > maturity that comes along by grace, as Nirvikalpa came.
      >
      > Exactly right -- one can
      > do exactly nothing to
      > summon or evoke grace.
      > There literally is no "how"
      > and Maria is not the doer!
      > To lead a grace-full life
      > is very much a matter of
      > noticing this very fact,
      > moment by moment, directly
      > and viscerally rather than
      > as a mere
      > logical/intellectual
      > surmise!
      > >
      > > Bruce, what do you say about this?
      > >
      > I bow to your relentless
      > honesty -- and to your
      > teacher's wisdom. Jai
      > Guruji!
      >
      > Much love -- Bruce

      > http://come.to/realization
      > http://www.atman.net/realization
      > http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucemrg.htm
      > http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucsong.htm

      > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • texasbg2000
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 15, 2003

        > You're welcome, and glad for the chuckle, Bobby.
        >
        > And yes, we must always keep in mind the
        > unrembemberable.
        >
        > Love,
        > Dan

        Hi Dan:

        Always good to hear from you. If you decide to run for prez I will
        vote for you.

        Love
        Bobby G.