Re: [Meditation Society of America] Namaste corrected

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2003
      > "Melody" <melodyande@c...> wrote:
      >

      > >***** OOps I meant intangled :) Although, >Untagled is
      > >a great word too!
      >

      > En-tangled is also a great word.
      >
      > Funny that you and I are both getting
      > tangled-up in the spelling of that word.
      >
      > :-)
      >
      > Sorry for the spelling errors, folks. I keep
      > forgetting that my spell-check is not
      > automatic when I use the 'reply' function.
      >
      > It is automatic when I 'create mail', however.
      >
      > How do others of you spell-check your posts when
      > using the reply function?
      >
      > Melody

      My email application Eudora automatically spell-checks.

      If I post to the web interface, I use the 'check spelling
      as you type' feature of Safari, the new Apple/Mac web
      browser. Safari runs only on Mac OS X (Open-source UNIX).

      The problem with all spell checkers, is that if a word is
      mistyped (say, if I type 'to' instead of 'too'), the spell
      checker sees it spelled correctly, even though it is not the
      word I meant to use.

      This syndrome (of the use of the wrong word, albeit
      spelled correctly) is bemoaned by teachers of English,
      who have learned to grade papers inclusive of actual
      effort (use of computer vs hand or typewriter effort).

      It also afflicts copy editors of print publications, whose
      job includes not only checking for spelling, but also for
      grammar and syntax. In other words, a 'couple' is not
      to people, it is two people.

      http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,58058,00.html

      ==GP==
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2003
        I'm quite suprised that microsoft has a grammer
        checker and has had one for sometime, yet major
        publishing apps like Quark, Pagemaker and Indesign
        don't have this feature integrated. Quark has a
        plug-in, Pagemaker and Indesign have story editors,
        but no type as you go checkers built in.

        Mas OSX is the bomb, hehe, for the moment. I
        especially like the sliding and fading dialogs, much
        cuter/realistic then zoom rectangles. Wonder what the
        G5 will bring.

        Peace and Love

        http://sbc.yahoo.com