Meditation Society of America Re: Swami Dayananda interview about Advaita

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Goode
      <goode@d...> wrote:
      > Hi Bobby,
      > I have a modest collection of Swami Dyananda's written and recorded
      works. And I read this interview when it was first published.
      Nowhere in this interview or in any of Swami Dyananda's teachings
      that I'm familiar with does he talk about the Yoga Sutra. Or
      Patanjali, as I can recall.
      > The Vyasa he refers to in this interview is the figure often
      called "Veda Vyasa," the one to whom the original Vedas have been
      attributed. Rgveda, Yajurveda, Atharvaveda, and Samaveda. Vedantic
      study treats of these to some extent, but mostly the Upanishads, the
      Bhagavad Gita, and the Brahma Sutra. The work that Swami Dyananda
      mentioned teaching every morning is the Mandukya Upanishad, often
      thought to be the most sophisticated presentation of advaita among
      the Upanishads, and the only one that can make sense without relying
      on religious faith. It's a very great book, in fact I had it on my
      altar years ago when I was looking for a guru and couldn't find one!
      All the other Upanishads use the notion of a creator or deity to some
      > Hari OM!
      > --Greg

      Thanks Greg. You are a valuable resource. Do you happen to know
      what is the book of sutra which entirely analyzes Advaita Vedanta by
      Veda Vyasa? He referred to it after he referred to the Mandukya

      Bobby G.