Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 156

  • Ramon Sender
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      Worry with the head is what humans do because they haven't
      gnawed enough with their teeth. As primitives, we used our teeth
      and mouths a great deal more for things such as grooming ourselves
      and others, softening hides, preparing fermented drinks, etc.
      Or because they did not remain on the breast long enough as a
      baby?

      Although this may sound orally fixated or just plain silly,
      I recommend sucking your thumb -- or as I do -- my tongue,
      or just go out and purchase a pacifier. Sucking is one of the
      112 meditations recommended in the great classic Hindu
      text, The Vigyan Bhairav Tantra:

      OR SUCK SOMETHING AND BECOME THE SUCKING.

      Osho's translation, and he comments in part:

      "Sucking is good, but you will feel that it is very difficult because we have forgotten
      it completely ? but not really completely, however, because we go on substituting for it....

      " I gave this method to one man. He had tried many things; he had tried many, many
      methods. He had tried many things; he had tried many, many methods. Then he came
      to me, so I asked him, "If I give you only one thing to choose in the whole world, what
      are you going to choose?" And I told him immediately to close his eyes and tell me, and
      not think about it. He became afraid, hesitant, so I told him, 'Do not be afraid, do not be
      hesitant. Be frank and tell me.'

      "He said, 'This is absurd, but a breast appears before me.'

      "And then he began to feel guilty, so I said, "Do not feel guilty. Nothing is wrong in a
      breast; it is one of the most beautiful things, so why be guilty?"...

      "And it is not so only with him, it is so with everyone ? with almost everyone. And it is natural,
      because the breast of the mother was the first acquaintance with the universe. It is basic. ...
      That was the first thing with which you came in contact, and the contact was
      lovely, it felt beautiful. It gives you food, instant vitality, love, everything. The contact was soft,
      receptive, inviting.

      "So I told that man, 'Now I will give you the method.' And this was the method I gave him, to
      suck something and become the sucking. I told him, 'Just close your eyes...
      Start sucking.' He started sucking. Within three days he was sucking so fast, so madly, he
      became so much enchanted by it. He told me, 'It has become a problem ? I want to suck the
      whole day. And it is so beautiful, and such deep silence is created by it.'

      "Within three months the sucking became a very, very silent gesture. The lips stopped, you
      couldn't even have judged that he was doing something. But inner sucking had started.
      He was sucking the whole day. It became a mantra, a japa ? a mantra repetition.

      "After three months he came to me and said, 'Something strange is happening to me. Something
      sweet is falling from my head onto my tongue continuously. And it is so sweet and so energy
      filling that I do not need any food, there is no hunger left. Eating has become just a formality.
      I take something in order not to create any problems in the family. But something is continuously
      coming to me. It is so sweet, life-giving.'

      "I told him to continue. Three months more, and one day he came just mad, dancing to me, and
      he said, "Sucking has disappeared, but I am a different man. I am no more the same man who
      had come to you. Some door has opened within me. Something has broken and there is no desire
      left. Now I do not want anything ? not even God, not even moksha ? liberation. I do not want anything.
      Now everything is okay as it is. I accept it and I am blissful."

      "Try this. Just suck something and become the sucking. It may be helpful to many because it is so basic."
      - Book of Secrets

      *****
      Sorry I can't help you, I'm 55 and still no signs of menopause, but I suggest
      you see a doctor. That's what my mother did and it worked out fine. Of course, she was
      always worrying about something, but that's what mothers do! :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
        Dear Ramon,
        Things come around, leave, and come back again. Back in the early
        60's, it was not uncommon for Hippies to nurse on baby bottles while
        "tripping". I'm pretty sure the modern day Ecstasy users can be found
        with pacifiers on chains around their necks, and in their mouths when
        on their "trip". I do like Judi's suggestion that menopause problems
        be discussed with a physican, but maybe trying to suck would be
        soothing at a time when that is very much needed.