Another wise being I saw- Believe it or not, a Catholic

  • steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2003
      I saw Brother Wayne Teasdale a few days ago. He is a Catholic Monk
      who lives in Chicago and spent some time in India with Bede Griffiths
      at his Christian Ashram. He has written a few books, his latest one
      called "A monk in the world." A lot of my thoughts lately have been
      revolving around the comparison between Eastern religion and Western
      religion. He convinced me that Catholicism is just as valid a path,
      religion as Hinduism, Advaita, Vedanta. Each can learn from each
      other.

      I saw clearly at his talk that I had put Hinduism or Advaita or
      Vedanta ahead of all other religions, paths. I somehow bought into
      the belief that Advaita was superior, more truthful than any other
      teaching. Sages like Ramana and Nisargadatta are so easily accessible
      these days, that is their teachings and many quote them. It has
      become something of a fad here in the West. They are the respectable
      ones to follow and quote. Like they have more of the truth or
      realization than the old religions.

      Brother Wayne reminded me about living in this world and he shared
      that the whole message of Jesus could be summed up in the latin word,
      Charitas, which translates loosely into charity. But it really means
      divine love. Jesus was all about love, helping and uplifting this
      world, spreading divine love everywhere. Wayne looks to Jesus as the
      example of a saint we all can emulate and hopefully be like, he is
      the ideal.

      Brother Wayne is just as holy, just as learned, just as realized as
      any of the Hindu saints or mystics or sages I have seen and he is so
      down to earth, simplistic, ordinary, human. He is not a big time guru
      nor does he give satsangs, he does not dress flashy, yet his love and
      compassion and service touched me deeply. I felt in his presence a
      little of what Jesus must have been about.