Swami Satchidananda

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2002
      Hi Bob,

      Sorry to hear about the passing away of Sri Gurudev Swami Satchidananda.
      Would it be possible to have a brief summary of his life and how he
      influenced the Meditation Society of America? I, and I think others, would
      like to know more.

      Thanks...Tony

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2002
        Dear Tony and all,
        Swami Satchidananda was one of the disciples of Swami Sivananda. He
        first came to the US in 1966. He was the founder of the Integral Yoga
        Institutes. In 1979, he established the Satchidananda Ashram in
        Yogaville, Buckingham, Virginia. His motto was "Truth is One, Paths
        are Many". He was one of worlds greatest yoga and meditation masters
        as well as one of the leading proponents of interfaith services and
        conferences. As far as our association with him, Swamiji personally
        blessed the aim and work of the Meditation Society of America to
        spread meditation knowledge freely, with compassion and humility, to
        all who seek it. This was just in his openhearted desire to help all
        who are trying to live up to his Guru's direction to "Be good. Do
        good." His enlightened wisdom is well demonstrated in the articles he
        contributed to our newsletter, The Inner Traveler. To further get to
        know Sri Gurudev and his works, I suggest checking out the IYI web
        site at: http://www.yogaville.org His light lives on in the many
        Swamis he initiated, and the hundreds of yoga teachers all over the
        world, that have been graced by his yoga and meditation instruction.
        Similarly, we feel deeply blessed to have had his love and support.
        Bob

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2002
          Hi Bob,

          Thank you for the brief bio of Swami Satchidananda. I felt a wave of
          gratitude and love flow through me as I read it. It is clear that Swami
          Satchidananda lives on in your words and your works.

          Thanks again...Tony
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2002
            A beautiful tribute to Sri Swami Satchidananda by Swami Adhyatmananda
            can be found at:
            http://www.divyajivan.org/articles/adhyatma/satchid.htm
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2004
              The current Weekly Words of Wisdom:

              Who will liberate you? Nobody except you yourself. By being the
              witness, you are watching your mind. When you begin to watch your
              mind, the mind becomes careful.

              It's almost like when you don't watch kids, for example. If you keep
              an eye on them, they will be quiet. The minute mommy turns the other
              way, the boy is ready to do something terrible.

              The mind is like your baby. If you don't watch, it will do all kinds
              of atrocities. But when the mind knows that you're watching, it will
              be careful. So, keep watching your mind, and let the mind do a good
              job. That means, you are doing, at the same time not doing.

              God bless you. Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi

              H.H. Sri Durudev Swami Satchidananda