Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: In realization the mind is dead/ to Bruce

  • Bruce Morgen
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 12, 2003
      On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:06:35 -0000 "mlcanow" <mlcanow@...> writes:
      > Hi Bruce,
      >
      > haven't you found out that the use of the word MIND, brings about
      > much confussion? And when we say thought, it is more easy to
      > understand. But again, there is the confussion about giving the
      > name "thought" to an image (as abstract as it can be) or to a symbol
      >
      > when there are no words to define it.
      > So when you say that counsciousness observes the thoughts,
      > is there any sense of action there?

      No, thought is activity
      but the observer merely
      abides, no effort.

      i mean, the one who observes, the
      > observation itself, and the thought (object in this case) observed?

      Thought gets involved
      again when we share the
      observation with words,
      images, and/or symbols
      -- but in the moment of
      observation, the
      observer and the
      observed are on. Iow,
      consciousness is its
      contents in the moment.

      > I know this is all a matter of definitions, but i find it
      > difficult to express ideas about mind.

      I often say "Realization
      is easy -- after all, it's
      an unearned, undeserved gift
      -- it's *communication*
      that's really difficult!"

      > In my case, i see Consciousness as the reality, as the base, as the
      >
      > source, and mind as all the rest.

      That's as good a delineation
      as anyone else's --
      consciousness-mind, brahma-
      maya, energy-matter, all
      descriptors of the last
      quasi-dichotomy before all
      such distinctions vanish in
      the equivalence seen by
      realizers and described
      mathematically by Sri Albert
      Einstein as "e = mc^2."

      > Everything that arises from the
      > first entity that arises and then observes, the I. I do not limit
      > the word mind to thought, instead i say that even the images,
      > abstract or not, are mind.
      > What is your input here?

      Thought is the parent of
      all language, symbolism,
      and imagery -- after all,
      language is an elaborate
      symbolic system, and a
      symbol is essentially a
      concisely-defined image!

      > Love,
      > maria luisa

      Right back atcha,
      mi hermana -- Bruce

      [mucho snippage]

      http://come.to/realization
      http://www.atman.net/realization
      http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucemrg.htm
      http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/brucsong.htm

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • hjackdavis@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 28, 2004
        thank u very much jeff
        even though my bad choices have taken my freedom away from me in my past threw my meditation i am able to reach out in the community i grew up can now better acept the fact that some people do not want to accept my change,threw my meditation with i feel rejected by them i do feel a calmness and have started using compassion and loving/kindness with my self now compared to going back to the gutter of depression and so forth
        i have 2 college degrees but cannot use them in my feild
        i am a work in progess,much metta jeff
        jack davis