Journal Entry - August 14 - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Aug 14, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: August 14
      Variation: None
      Time: 08:05 a.m.
      Duration: 44 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Darkened room. Two candles. Incense. Essential Oil - (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Mind Chatter: Low.
      Waves of bliss: None.
      Experience: Good session - Increased body awareness

      Background: Stopped posting for some time, initially due to email problems
      but partly due to rethinking approach to and role of meditation.

      Result: Focused mind on progressive physical relaxation during meditation.
      Used my relaxing body as a support for my mind. Any time my mind wandered, I
      brought it back to my relaxing body. I used the sensations of relaxation as
      a focus. Used the approach of "what will my next relaxing sensation be?" and
      waited for the next sensation. After registering, I would then wait for the
      next sensation. Since relaxation is progressive, there was a series of
      physical sensations such as different muscle groups relaxing, slight rocking
      in my lower back, a slight twitching in a leg muscle etc. I liked this
      approach since it encouraged me to continue relaxing and kept my mind
      chatter low.

      Note: I assume that a lot of the physical benefits of meditation comes from
      the relaxed state of the body. I have a sense that the various systems in
      the body flow smoothly and a lot of healing and clearing of "blockages"
      takes place when the body is fully relaxed. Also, something similar happens
      within the mind which is different in quality to when we are asleep.

      Experimentation: I tried turning each of my senses inward to sense my body
      with each of my five senses. This was not an attempt to physically sense my
      body with each sense but more a way to interpret signals from my body with
      each sense. For instance, if I used touch, I would try to sense my body in
      terms of touch sensations. Hearing was easy since it is very well developed
      in inner sounds meditation. The other senses were much less developed.

      I had just started this experiment when I received a prompting to end my
      session. Ended feeling relaxed and refreshed.

    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....