sent by a friend

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      This is an oldie but a goodie!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Once an old man was sitting at the entrance of a town.

      A young man approached him and said:

      "I am not from here. I come from far. Tell me old man,
      how are the people of this town?"

      Instead of replying to him, the old man asked back:

      "And in the town from where you come, how
      were the people?"

      The young man, responding temperamentally, blurted,
      "Egotistic and wicked, so much so that I could no longer take
      it. That is why I preferred to leave!"

      The old man said sympathetically:

      "Pity, my dear. I shall advise you to continue on your way.
      People here are equally wicked and all are egotistic."

      A little later, another young man approached the same old man
      and said:

      "Greetings to you who is wise with age! I should like to
      settle down in this place. Tell me, how are the people who
      live in this town?"

      And, the old man asked him:

      "Tell me first, where from do you come, and how were the
      people there?"

      The young man said in an enthusiastic voice:

      "Honest, good, and welcoming! I had only friends there, and
      oh how I was pained to leave them!"

      The old man said:

      "Well, here, you will also find only honest
      people, welcoming, and full of kindness."

      A merchant who was watering his camels not far from these
      exchanges and had heard all, asked the old man:

      "How is it possible, old man, who I know to
      be wise, to give two truthful, but diametrically opposite,
      replies to the same question? Is it a case of April Fools?"

      "My son," said the old man, "Each one carries, in his
      heart, his own universe. And, that is what he will find
      every place he goes." (** or, "Therefore, regardless where
      he goes, that will always be what he finds."

      Open your heart and your outlook when encountering Others and life's experiences, and the world
      shall change...

      "Peace comes from within. Do not look for it outside."
      Buddha Siddartha Gautamaand