Re: [Meditation Society of America] Cross-thinking

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
      Yes, it's a yawn.
      It was early and
      I was lonely.

      I think we're tougher
      on ourselves.

      Best,

      Jeff

      <murrkis@y...> wrote:

      > > >I'll be back with results
      > > >when they are published.
      > > >Just thought this might be
      > > >of interest to meditators
      > > >and spiritual seekers.
      >
      > /YAWN/
      >
      > Ratings? Good God.
      >
      > At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
      > everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained with
      > for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
      > lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
      > lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
      > the fuzzies to bits:
      >
      > "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."
      >
      > So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
      > afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
      > figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.
      >
      > How about this:
      >
      > You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.
      >
      > You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that makes
      > you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than to
      > perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.
      >
      > Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be so
      > ill-equipped to meditate externally?
      >
      > Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the hell
      > not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
      > how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
      > externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
      > the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?
      >
      > Nina
    • cornelius
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
        <jeff@s...> wrote:
        > Well, this once humble
        > and retiring meditation
        > teacher, tucked quietly
        > in the northeast corner
        > of the US, has gone and
        > done it.
        >
        > Those of you who have
        > dual citizenship with
        > this group and other groups
        > on the Yahoo! circuit may
        > know this, already.
        >
        > On the Yahoo! Group called
        > Guru Ratings, moderated
        > by "Sarlo", I have snarled
        > and growled at the very
        > premise for about a year.
        >
        > Finally, Sarlo himself
        > has gone into a snarl,
        > and posted a poll to "rate"
        > the irascible persona that
        > I bring into their midst.
        > (If you were here in the
        > days of the Jeff and Judi
        > show, you've seen pretty
        > much the full monty).
        >
        > What has this to do with
        > meditation? I'm a long-term
        > meditator (27 years and
        > counting - I'm ready to
        > stop counting) and it will
        > be interesting to see how
        > many rate according to
        > what they have seen of me
        > at that site, and how many
        > actually look behind the
        > mask (persona) to read
        > information on my website
        > and the files I have posted
        > here and there about my
        > lineage (as a guru) and
        > my method (as a meditation
        > teacher and motivational
        > coach) and my enlightenment
        > journey.
        >
        > Meditation may not do much
        > to change the outward look
        > and personality, but it does,
        > in the world according to me,
        > brings about dramatic emotional,
        > psychological, and even possibly
        > cellular-level changes.
        > I am also convinced that it
        > improves coordination and
        > physical grace, that it
        > not only relieve stress, but
        > allow the meditator to take
        > life's bump and grinds in
        > stride and with equanimity
        > in great part.
        >
        > Does bias effect fair judgment
        > and intellect? Is it just
        > an ego battle? Will this
        > poll really answer any of
        > that?
        >
        > I'll be back with results
        > when they are published.
        > Just thought this might be
        > of interest to meditators
        > and spiritual seekers.
        >
        > Meanwhile....
        >
        > OM

        Hi Jeff,

        I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
        thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
        his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
        Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
        take it seriously.

        I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
        Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
        the "rated" Guru.

        Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
        you when your function here is not that of a Guru?

        Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
        Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
        Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
        my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
        with HIM/HER.
        My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
        have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.

        Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
        and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
        up the Guru mantle.

        Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
        to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
        how do They rate you?"

        At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
        Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =
        an "exceptional" Member. ;)

        cjl
      • mlcanow
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hi Jeff,
          i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
          attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
          room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
          About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
          I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
          about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
          isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
          possible to rate love?

          maria luisa

        • texasbg2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
            <murrkis@y...> wrote:
            > > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
            > > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".
            >
            > You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?
            >
            > We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
            > the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
            > in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
            > will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!
            >
            > prickly, or was that, pricked,
            > Nina

            There was a story about a bit of theater that Gurdjieff used to teach
            his group one night. He picked two people of different temperaments
            and said they would be part of an experiment.

            One, a doctor who always took part in discussions, was very well
            liked and knowledgable. He was a leader. The other participant was
            a young retiring man who seldom spoke and people knew little about.

            The person relating the story (I forget who), said that the first
            part of the experiment would be secret but that after about an hour
            had passed a strange transformation had taken place.

            The doctor was immobilized and could not speak. The young man who
            had been retiring was now holding forth at length on difficult topics.

            The point was that what is on the surface is not necessarily
            important and is not a good indicator of what is important.

            Love
            Bobby G.
          • Jeff Belyea
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
              Thanks, cj.

              Sarlo asked for the rating
              from member of his group -
              after a year of dealing with
              my sometimes good-natured
              and sometimes not so
              good-natured antagonism.

              I have challenged the concept
              and been a major provocateur of
              the GR site membership since I
              first visited the group about a
              year ago. That rate and I say
              rating is bogus (to use a favorite
              Sarlo term) at best. I've about
              played my hand out there.

              I never used the term Guru,
              before coming upon Sarlo's
              site, and while I have been
              incredibly blessed and graced
              with a powerful transformation
              that saved by life, and began
              speaking and "teaching" about
              it almost immediately, the guru
              persona is relatively new.

              The tie to meditation is that
              this happened while meditating.
              What happened to me in the
              midst of meditation and the
              reports from Near-Death
              Experiencers are startlingly
              similar.

              I wondered about this for
              years, before coming a report
              of yogis who went into deep
              meditation and all but suspended
              breathing, which decreases the
              brain activity and its demand
              for "energy" or "sugar" so much
              that is one of the methods used
              that is frequently precedent to
              bringing on a nirvikalpa samadhi.

              I went on to study meditation,
              hypnosis, relaxation techniques,
              raja yoga, and marketing communications
              looking for ways to share this most
              incredible experience. I'll
              stop here.

              Thanks for generous review.

              Best,

              Jeff

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
              <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > at that site, and how many
              > > actually look behind the
              > > mask (persona) to read
              > > information on my website
              > > and the files I have posted
              > > here and there about my
              > > lineage (as a guru) and
              > > my method (as a meditation
              > > teacher and motivational
              > > coach) and my enlightenment
              > > journey.
              > >
              > > Meditation may not do much
              > > to change the outward look
              > > and personality, but it does,
              > > in the world according to me,
              > > brings about dramatic emotional,
              > > psychological, and even possibly
              > > cellular-level changes.
              > > I am also convinced that it
              > > improves coordination and
              > > physical grace, that it
              > > not only relieve stress, but
              > > allow the meditator to take
              > > life's bump and grinds in
              > > stride and with equanimity
              > > in great part.
              > >
              > > Does bias effect fair judgment
              > > and intellect? Is it just
              > > an ego battle? Will this
              > > poll really answer any of
              > > that?
              > >
              > > I'll be back with results
              > > when they are published.
              > > Just thought this might be
              > > of interest to meditators
              > > and spiritual seekers.
              > >
              > > Meanwhile....
              > >
              > > OM
              >
              > Hi Jeff,
              >
              > I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
              > thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
              > his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
              > Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
              > take it seriously.
              >
              > I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
              > Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
              > the "rated" Guru.
              >
              > Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
              > you when your function here is not that of a Guru?
              >
              > Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
              > Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
              > Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
              > my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
              > with HIM/HER.
              > My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
              > have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.
              >
              > Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
              > and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
              > up the Guru mantle.
              >
              > Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
              > to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
              > how do They rate you?"
              >
              > At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
              > Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =

            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                maria luisa -

                You are so sweet.

                You certainly know that
                the pure love is reciprocal.
                My suggestion is that you
                stay away from this group.

                They call themselves Guru
                Raters but they are not
                always kind. Of course, I
                admittedly come in with
                a chip on my shoulder
                and invite some rough
                stuff. You would be
                received much differently
                I am sure.

                All the love,

                Jeff

                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "mlcanow"
                <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Jeff,
                > i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
                > attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
                > room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
                > About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
                > I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
                > about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
                > isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
> [...]
              • satkartar7
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                  > Thanks, cj.
                  >
                  > Sarlo asked for the rating