Dog Days of Summer

  • tabularosa
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2002
      I love those Nasrudin stories so please keep them coming. I have no
      clue how you related the last to LSD however. Cute pic from Michael.

      Next week I am getting a Golden Retriever puppy and was wondering if
      anyone had any suggestions for a boy's name that related to
      meditation. Nothing too weird like Nasrudin please...lol

      Picking this name for a dog is harder for me than naming my kids!

      Shanti is kinda cute. Would I violate anyone's principles to name a
      dog something like that? Don't want to give him any bad karma.
      hmmmm...karma, that's nice too.

      Having Happy Puppy Thoughts,

      Tab

      P.S. No one lives more in the present than a dog. Perhaps I'll pick
      up some pointers of being happy in the moment from him.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2002
        Dear Tab,
        Shanti is a great name, but not too macho, and goldie males can be
        muy macho. If he's an alpha dog type, Karma could work nicely. In any
        event, I wish you well with the new family member. We're hoping to
        get a Newfoundland puppy in the next week or two. The biggest problem
        we'll have is finding one. They're pretty rare, and the breeders
        often have waiting lists. As far as the LSD reference to the Nasrudin
        story, first let me repeat the story, and the question………

        Nasrudin was caught going well over the speed limit on a highway.
        "What's the big hurry?" asked the cop as he started to pull out the
        ticket book. "You see, officer" said Nasrudin, "I am so low on gas,
        I'm trying to get to the gas station before I run out . . ."

        Questions: How does this relate to people who take LSD?
        Answer: LSD is a spiritual shortcut to many, and serves as a way to
        have intense mystic visions without any "work". Thinking there is no
        tomorrow, or that there is no benefit in a gradual progression that
        leads to kundalini or other transcendent experiences, is so commonly
        demonstrated in the American "I want it now, and supersize it!"
        tradition. Then, the karma cops often give out "tickets" in the form
        of "bad trips", inflated egos, irrational "freak-outs", "drop out
        from society" or cult-joining tendencies, or other real spiritual
        growth stoppers. Nasrudin stories traditionally have meaning on at
        least 7 different levels (whatever that means), and can be looked at
        from infinite perspectives. But, the general rule of thumb is that no
        matter how idiotic his behavior seems, he is a holy person, who is
        always teaching and pointing at being at one with the inner Witness
        and the universal perspective. So the real idiot is our
        separate-from-the-universe illusion of Who I Am, and the idea is to
        see if we have the idiotic behavior in our repertoire, laugh at it,
        and let it go. So, are we looking to get spiritual
        wisdom/visions/bliss, etc. by driving too fast (where we are
        vulnerable to terrible accidents), and shouldn't we be glad when a
        spiritual cop pulls us over and writes us a ticket (the ticket, of
        course, could be the real consciousness methodology we should be
        using - the Law…but, that's seeing the tale from another of the
        infinite perspectives it can be seen and learned from). Perhaps the
        coolest thing this retelling has brought about was that terrific
        picture that Michael shared. You know, it is via things like puppies,
        funny stories, sweet pics, and so on, that I have come to the
        conclusion that the universe is always presenting us with Mullah
        Nasrudinstories to laugh at, enjoy, and grow from. Oh yeah, it just
        occurred to me that Shanti means peace, and that is the most powerful
        thing of all, and thus, plenty macho! Enjoy!

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tabularosa"
        <tabularosa@y...>