Patanjali #8

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Everyone:

      Previously, Patanjali told us of the seven methods of mastery over
      the distractions to contemplation, the characteristics of
      contemplation, the two types of bliss, the methods of dispassion and
      practice in overcoming the fluctuations of consciousness, and the
      discriptions of the fluctuations as they fit within the five larger
      categories of ignorance.

      He first states that Yoga (union) is the restriction of the
      fluctuations of Consciousness.

      This will be the final installment on the first book of Yoga Sutra.
      I have mostly compared the commentaries of two very different ways of
      looking at the incredible work of Patanjali; Georg Feuerstein and
      Hugh D'Andrade.

      D'Andrade has an emotional and beauty inspired look for us and
      Feuerstein is more historical and technical. I will simply quote
      D'Andrade on these last sutra of Book One.

      Modes of Contemplation
      I.40
      Through perfected Contemplation
      One's mastery extends
      From the infinitesimal to the infinite.

      I.41
      When all mental disturbance has dwindled
      And one's mind, clear as a crystal,
      Reflects the Knower, the Knowing process, and the Known,
      Then the mind takes on the quality
      Of that which it contemplates.

      I.42
      Contemplation begins with Investigation,
      In which the mind accepts the commingling of a word,
      The Object indicated by the word,
      And the idea underlying the word.

      I.43
      The next mode of Contemplation is Higher Investigation,
      In which the mind penetrates beyond memory and reason
      To discover the thing as it is.

      I.44
      The next mode of Contemplation
      Embraces the Subtle Energies of the universe,
      First through the stage of Discernment,
      Then through the stage of Higher Discernment,

      I.45
      Through such Contemplation
      One ascends from height to height
      To the comprehension
      Of the Final Substance-energy of Being.

      I.46
      These states of Contemplation are called Seeded
      For they concern manifestation
      And have inherent power
      To bear fruit in their own due time.

      Illumination and Direct Insight

      I.47
      When one gains Higher Discernment
      The mind shines with a steady radiance
      Which illumines all things.

      I.48
      Thus comes Direct Insight into Truth.

      I.49
      Direct Insight into Truth
      Is free from the shortcomings
      Of teaching and reason.

      I.50
      Direct Insight takes supreme command
      Over all one's impressions, attitudes,
      Mental patterns and modes of thought.

      I.51
      When Direct Insight yields to Seedless Contemplation
      Individual existence merges into Cosmic Being.

      End of Book One.

      At the beginning of the Book Two, Patanjali concisely presents the
      complete methodology of Kriya Yoga, which incorporates the eight
      limbs of Ashtanga Yoga in addition to all other considerations for
      practice and dispassion. Then each facet of this methodology is
      described in more detail.

      Love,
      Bobby G.
    • Jeff Belyea
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        Thanks, Bobby G.

        <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
> [...]
        > Which illumines all things.
        >
        > I.48
        > Thus comes Direct Insight into Truth.
        >
        > I.49
        > Direct Insight into Truth
        > Is free from the shortcomings
        > Of teaching and reason.
        >
        > I.50
        > Direct Insight takes supreme command
        > Over all one's impressions, attitudes,
        > Mental patterns and modes of thought.
        >
        > I.51
        > When Direct Insight yields to Seedless Contemplation
        > Individual existence merges into Cosmic Being.
        >
        > End of Book One.
        >
        > At the beginning of the Book Two, Patanjali concisely presents the
        > complete methodology of Kriya Yoga, which incorporates the eight
        > limbs of Ashtanga Yoga in addition to all other considerations for
        > practice and dispassion. Then each facet of this methodology is

      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
          <jeff@s...> wrote:
          > Thanks, Bobby G.

          You are very welcome, Jeff. Thanks to you too, for your good spirits
          and clear writings on meditaition.

          Love,
          Bobby G.