Re: [Meditation Society of America] Cross-selling

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Greg -

      Thanks, I really like
      his sardonic sense of
      humor as well. "Snarl"
      was a bit of a drama
      queen's vocabulary.
      (No reflection on
      your past).

      I expect a similar
      un-dramatic event
      to ensue from this.

      Best,

      Jeff

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Goode
      <goode@d...> wrote:
      > Hey Jeff,
      >
      > It's not a snarl thing. Sarlo is very even-tempered, and has a
      sardonic sense of humor that I really like. These ratings happen
      every once in a while on GuruRatings. Once, Sarlo or someone put out
      a poll for Dan and me in the same message. There were about 10 votes
      all around. A very un-dramatic time was had by all! No big deal.

      > --Greg
      >
      > At 01:55 PM 6/3/2003 +0000, Jeff Belyea wrote:
      > >Finally, Sarlo himself
      > >has gone into a snarl,
      > >and posted a poll to "rate"
      > >the irascible persona that
      > >I bring into their midst.
      > >(If you were here in the
      > >days of the Jeff and Judi
      > >show, you've seen pretty
      > >much the full monty).

      > >I'll be back with results
      > >when they are published.
      > >Just thought this might be
      > >of interest to meditators
      > >and spiritual seekers.
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
        <jeff@s...> wrote:
        > Hi Greg -
        >
        > Thanks, I really like
        > his sardonic sense of
        > humor as well. "Snarl"
        > was a bit of a drama
        > queen's vocabulary.
        > (No reflection on
        > your past).
        >
        > I expect a similar
        > un-dramatic event
        > to ensue from this.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Jeff

        Expectations.

        Ah yes, those expectations!

        Laughing,
        Dan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
          "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:

          snip

          > I'll be back with results
          > when they are published.
          > Just thought this might be
          > of interest to meditators
          > and spiritual seekers.
          >
          > Meanwhile....
          >
          > OM

          Not wanting to do anything behind anyone's computer back,
          here's a repost of mine to GuruRatings:

          So I'm sitting there checking out the poll, and I initially
          gave Jeff a 4.5. But then, I thought I better see how that
          relates to others, and I find that Swami Satchidananda is
          only 1 bud (Hey Gene - whattayathinkadat?), and Swami Sivananda
          is only 2 1/2. So I recalibrate a few times, and then saw Matthew
          Files post that defines the values, and I see that 4.5 is:
          "4.5 vast enough for most, some reservations"
          Well, there's no doubt Papajeff isn't "for everybody", which is
          a 5 bud quailifier, and since others ratings have no reality, as
          the 2 Swami's demonstrate, I'm going with the 4.5. BTW, I have read
          Two Lions, and I'm sure that if those who put Jeff down read it
          without knowing who the author was, they would agree it was written
          by someone who "Knows", or some similar adjective. In any event, as

        • texasbg2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
            <murrkis@y...> wrote:

            > > >I'll be back with results
            > > >when they are published.
            > > >Just thought this might be
            > > >of interest to meditators
            > > >and spiritual seekers.
            >
            > /YAWN/
            >
            > Ratings? Good God.
            >
            > At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
            > everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained
            with
            > for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
            > lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
            > lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
            > the fuzzies to bits:
            >
            > "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."
            >
            > So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
            > afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
            > figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.
            >
            > How about this:
            >
            > You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.
            >
            > You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that
            makes
            > you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than
            > perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.
            >
            > Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be
            so
            > ill-equipped to meditate externally?
            >
            > Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the
            hell
            > not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
            > how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
            > externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
            > the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?

            Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
            inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".

            > Nina
          • Nina
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
              > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
              > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".

              You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?

              We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
              the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
              in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
              will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!

              prickly, or was that, pricked,
              Nina

              P.S.
              Here's one for you:

              I've seen them down in the valley,
              wild roses that grow by the side of the road,
              and they don't really mind if you pick them
              and they don't really care if you leave them alone.

              Wild roses... Wild roses open their hearts gently by the by.
              Wild roses grow unattended and nobody ever knows why.
              When the sun goes down in the valley
              there's music in the night that it brings,
              and the roses quietly listen
              to the song that the whipporwill sings.

              Wild roses ... wild roses open their hearts gently by the by.
              Wild roses grow unattended and nobody ever knows why.
              You won't hear the sound of them leaving
              as they softly fade into the snow,
              and they don't really care if you pick them.
              Wild roses just grow by the side of the road.
              Wild roses just grow by the side of the road.

              Words & Music: Kimmie Rhodes
              Irving Music/Gracey-Rhodes Music
            • satkartar7
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                > J: snip
                > >
                > > I'll be back with results
                > > when they are published.
                > > Just thought this might be
                > > of interest to meditators
                > > and spiritual seekers.
                > >
                > > Meanwhile....
                > >
                > > OM
                >
                > Not wanting to do anything behind anyone's computer back,

                I was curious and the way to see the
                poll is to vote, so I voted 'no vote'

                I dunno what that means, the poll
                said 22% next to my vote and I don't undertsnad that either: because 22%
                is not neutral; which I voted for

                Karta

                > here's a repost of mine to GuruRatings:
                >
                > So I'm sitting there checking out the poll, and I initially
                > gave Jeff a 4.5. But then, I thought I better see how that
                > relates to others, and I find that Swami Satchidananda is
                > only 1 bud (Hey Gene - whattayathinkadat?), and Swami Sivananda
                > is only 2 1/2. So I recalibrate a few times, and then saw Matthew
                > Files post that defines the values, and I see that 4.5 is:
                > "4.5 vast enough for most, some reservations"
                > Well, there's no doubt Papajeff isn't "for everybody", which is
                > a 5 bud quailifier, and since others ratings have no reality, as
                > the 2 Swami's demonstrate, I'm going with the 4.5. BTW, I have read
                > Two Lions, and I'm sure that if those who put Jeff down read it
                > without knowing who the author was, they would agree it was written
                > by someone who "Knows", or some similar adjective. In any event, as
                > St. John Lennon said, "It's all in good fun, ya know:-)"
                >
                > Peace and blessings,
                > Bob
              • Jeff Belyea
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Yes, it's a yawn.
                  It was early and
                  I was lonely.

                  I think we're tougher
                  on ourselves.

                  Best,

                  Jeff

                  <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                  > > >I'll be back with results
                  > > >when they are published.
                  > > >Just thought this might be
                  > > >of interest to meditators
                  > > >and spiritual seekers.
                  >
                  > /YAWN/
                  >
                  > Ratings? Good God.
                  >
                  > At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
                  > everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained with
                  > for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
                  > lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
                  > lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
                  > the fuzzies to bits:
                  >
                  > "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."
                  >
                  > So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
                  > afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
                  > figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.
                  >
                  > How about this:
                  >
                  > You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.
                  >
                  > You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that makes
                  > you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than to
                  > perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.
                  >
                  > Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be so
                  > ill-equipped to meditate externally?
                  >
                  > Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the hell
                  > not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
                  > how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
                  > externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
                  > the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?
                  >
                  > Nina
                • cornelius
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                    <jeff@s...> wrote:
                    > Well, this once humble
                    > and retiring meditation
                    > teacher, tucked quietly
                    > in the northeast corner
                    > of the US, has gone and
                    > done it.
                    >
                    > Those of you who have
                    > dual citizenship with
                    > this group and other groups
                    > on the Yahoo! circuit may
                    > know this, already.
                    >
                    > On the Yahoo! Group called
                    > Guru Ratings, moderated
                    > by "Sarlo", I have snarled
                    > and growled at the very
                    > premise for about a year.
                    >
                    > Finally, Sarlo himself
                    > has gone into a snarl,
                    > and posted a poll to "rate"
                    > the irascible persona that
                    > I bring into their midst.
                    > (If you were here in the
                    > days of the Jeff and Judi
                    > show, you've seen pretty
                    > much the full monty).
                    >
                    > What has this to do with
                    > meditation? I'm a long-term
                    > meditator (27 years and
                    > counting - I'm ready to
                    > stop counting) and it will
                    > be interesting to see how
                    > many rate according to
                    > what they have seen of me
                    > at that site, and how many
                    > actually look behind the
                    > mask (persona) to read
                    > information on my website
                    > and the files I have posted
                    > here and there about my
                    > lineage (as a guru) and
                    > my method (as a meditation
                    > teacher and motivational
                    > coach) and my enlightenment
                    > journey.
                    >
                    > Meditation may not do much
                    > to change the outward look
                    > and personality, but it does,
                    > in the world according to me,
                    > brings about dramatic emotional,
                    > psychological, and even possibly
                    > cellular-level changes.
                    > I am also convinced that it
                    > improves coordination and
                    > physical grace, that it
                    > not only relieve stress, but
                    > allow the meditator to take
                    > life's bump and grinds in
                    > stride and with equanimity
                    > in great part.
                    >
                    > Does bias effect fair judgment
                    > and intellect? Is it just
                    > an ego battle? Will this
                    > poll really answer any of
                    > that?
                    >
                    > I'll be back with results
                    > when they are published.
                    > Just thought this might be
                    > of interest to meditators
                    > and spiritual seekers.
                    >
                    > Meanwhile....
                    >
                    > OM

                    Hi Jeff,

                    I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
                    thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
                    his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
                    Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
                    take it seriously.

                    I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
                    Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
                    the "rated" Guru.

                    Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
                    you when your function here is not that of a Guru?

                    Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
                    Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
                    Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
                    my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
                    with HIM/HER.
                    My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
                    have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.

                    Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
                    and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
                    up the Guru mantle.

                    Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
                    to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
                    how do They rate you?"

                    At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
                    Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =
                    an "exceptional" Member. ;)

                    cjl
                  • mlcanow
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                      Hi Jeff,
                      i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
                      attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
                      room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
                      About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
                      I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
                      about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
                      isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
                      possible to rate love?

                      maria luisa

                    • texasbg2000
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                        > > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
                        > > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".
                        >
                        > You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?
                        >
                        > We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
                        > the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
                        > in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
                        > will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!
                        >
                        > prickly, or was that, pricked,
                        > Nina

                        There was a story about a bit of theater that Gurdjieff used to teach
                        his group one night. He picked two people of different temperaments
                        and said they would be part of an experiment.

                        One, a doctor who always took part in discussions, was very well
                        liked and knowledgable. He was a leader. The other participant was
                        a young retiring man who seldom spoke and people knew little about.

                        The person relating the story (I forget who), said that the first
                        part of the experiment would be secret but that after about an hour
                        had passed a strange transformation had taken place.

                        The doctor was immobilized and could not speak. The young man who
                        had been retiring was now holding forth at length on difficult topics.

                        The point was that what is on the surface is not necessarily
                        important and is not a good indicator of what is important.

                        Love
                        Bobby G.
                      • Jeff Belyea
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                          Thanks, cj.

                          Sarlo asked for the rating
                          from member of his group -
                          after a year of dealing with
                          my sometimes good-natured
                          and sometimes not so
                          good-natured antagonism.

                          I have challenged the concept
                          and been a major provocateur of
                          the GR site membership since I
                          first visited the group about a
                          year ago. That rate and I say
                          rating is bogus (to use a favorite
                          Sarlo term) at best. I've about
                          played my hand out there.

                          I never used the term Guru,
                          before coming upon Sarlo's
                          site, and while I have been
                          incredibly blessed and graced
                          with a powerful transformation
                          that saved by life, and began
                          speaking and "teaching" about
                          it almost immediately, the guru
                          persona is relatively new.

                          The tie to meditation is that
                          this happened while meditating.
                          What happened to me in the
                          midst of meditation and the
                          reports from Near-Death
                          Experiencers are startlingly
                          similar.

                          I wondered about this for
                          years, before coming a report
                          of yogis who went into deep
                          meditation and all but suspended
                          breathing, which decreases the
                          brain activity and its demand
                          for "energy" or "sugar" so much
                          that is one of the methods used
                          that is frequently precedent to
                          bringing on a nirvikalpa samadhi.

                          I went on to study meditation,
                          hypnosis, relaxation techniques,
                          raja yoga, and marketing communications
                          looking for ways to share this most
                          incredible experience. I'll
                          stop here.

                          Thanks for generous review.

                          Best,

                          Jeff

                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
                          <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > > at that site, and how many
                          > > actually look behind the
                          > > mask (persona) to read
                          > > information on my website
                          > > and the files I have posted
                          > > here and there about my
                          > > lineage (as a guru) and
                          > > my method (as a meditation
                          > > teacher and motivational
                          > > coach) and my enlightenment
                          > > journey.
                          > >
                          > > Meditation may not do much
                          > > to change the outward look
                          > > and personality, but it does,
                          > > in the world according to me,
                          > > brings about dramatic emotional,
                          > > psychological, and even possibly
                          > > cellular-level changes.
                          > > I am also convinced that it
                          > > improves coordination and
                          > > physical grace, that it
                          > > not only relieve stress, but
                          > > allow the meditator to take
                          > > life's bump and grinds in
                          > > stride and with equanimity
                          > > in great part.
                          > >
                          > > Does bias effect fair judgment
                          > > and intellect? Is it just
                          > > an ego battle? Will this
                          > > poll really answer any of
                          > > that?
                          > >
                          > > I'll be back with results
                          > > when they are published.
                          > > Just thought this might be
                          > > of interest to meditators
                          > > and spiritual seekers.
                          > >
                          > > Meanwhile....
                          > >
                          > > OM
                          >
                          > Hi Jeff,
                          >
                          > I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
                          > thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
                          > his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
                          > Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
                          > take it seriously.
                          >
                          > I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
                          > Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
                          > the "rated" Guru.
                          >
                          > Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
                          > you when your function here is not that of a Guru?
                          >
                          > Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
                          > Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
                          > Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
                          > my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
                          > with HIM/HER.
                          > My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
                          > have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.
                          >
                          > Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
                          > and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
                          > up the Guru mantle.
                          >
                          > Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
                          > to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
                          > how do They rate you?"
                          >
                          > At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
                          > Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =

                        • Jeff Belyea
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                            maria luisa -

                            You are so sweet.

                            You certainly know that
                            the pure love is reciprocal.
                            My suggestion is that you
                            stay away from this group.

                            They call themselves Guru
                            Raters but they are not
                            always kind. Of course, I
                            admittedly come in with
                            a chip on my shoulder
                            and invite some rough
                            stuff. You would be
                            received much differently
                            I am sure.

                            All the love,

                            Jeff

                            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "mlcanow"
                            <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi Jeff,
                            > i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
                            > attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
                            > room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
                            > About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
                            > I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
                            > about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
                            > isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
> [...]
                          • satkartar7
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 3, 2003
                              > Thanks, cj.
                              >
                              > Sarlo asked for the rating