Cross-selling

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3 6:55 AM

      Just thought this might be
      of interest to meditators
      and spiritual seekers.

      Meanwhile....

      OM
    • Greg Goode
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 3 7:29 AM
        Hey Jeff,

        It's not a snarl thing. Sarlo is very even-tempered, and has a sardonic sense of humor that I really like. These ratings happen every once in a while on GuruRatings. Once, Sarlo or someone put out a poll for Dan and me in the same message. There were about 10 votes all around. A very un-dramatic time was had by all! No big deal.

        --Greg

        At 01:55 PM 6/3/2003 +0000, Jeff Belyea wrote:
        >Finally, Sarlo himself
        >has gone into a snarl,
        >and posted a poll to "rate"
        >the irascible persona that
        >I bring into their midst.
        >(If you were here in the
        >days of the Jeff and Judi
        >show, you've seen pretty
        >much the full monty).

        >I'll be back with results
        >when they are published.
        >Just thought this might be
        >of interest to meditators
        >and spiritual seekers.
      • Nina
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3 8:20 AM
          > >I'll be back with results
          > >when they are published.
          > >Just thought this might be
          > >of interest to meditators
          > >and spiritual seekers.

          /YAWN/

          Ratings? Good God.

          At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
          everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained with
          for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
          lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
          lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
          the fuzzies to bits:

          "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."

          So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
          afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
          figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.

          How about this:

          You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.

          You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that makes
          you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than to
          perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.

          Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be so
          ill-equipped to meditate externally?

          Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the hell
          not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
          how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
          externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
          the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?

          Nina
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 3 8:28 AM
            Hi Greg -

            Thanks, I really like
            his sardonic sense of
            humor as well. "Snarl"
            was a bit of a drama
            queen's vocabulary.
            (No reflection on
            your past).

            I expect a similar
            un-dramatic event
            to ensue from this.

            Best,

            Jeff

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Goode
            <goode@d...> wrote:
            > Hey Jeff,
            >
            > It's not a snarl thing. Sarlo is very even-tempered, and has a
            sardonic sense of humor that I really like. These ratings happen
            every once in a while on GuruRatings. Once, Sarlo or someone put out
            a poll for Dan and me in the same message. There were about 10 votes
            all around. A very un-dramatic time was had by all! No big deal.

            > --Greg
            >
            > At 01:55 PM 6/3/2003 +0000, Jeff Belyea wrote:
            > >Finally, Sarlo himself
            > >has gone into a snarl,
            > >and posted a poll to "rate"
            > >the irascible persona that
            > >I bring into their midst.
            > >(If you were here in the
            > >days of the Jeff and Judi
            > >show, you've seen pretty
            > >much the full monty).

            > >I'll be back with results
            > >when they are published.
            > >Just thought this might be
            > >of interest to meditators
            > >and spiritual seekers.
          • dan330033
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 3 8:46 AM
              <jeff@s...> wrote:
              > Hi Greg -
              >
              > Thanks, I really like
              > his sardonic sense of
              > humor as well. "Snarl"
              > was a bit of a drama
              > queen's vocabulary.
              > (No reflection on
              > your past).
              >
              > I expect a similar
              > un-dramatic event
              > to ensue from this.
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Jeff

              Expectations.

              Ah yes, those expectations!

              Laughing,
              Dan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3 8:57 AM
                "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:

                snip

                > I'll be back with results
                > when they are published.
                > Just thought this might be
                > of interest to meditators
                > and spiritual seekers.
                >
                > Meanwhile....
                >
                > OM

                Not wanting to do anything behind anyone's computer back,
                here's a repost of mine to GuruRatings:

                So I'm sitting there checking out the poll, and I initially
                gave Jeff a 4.5. But then, I thought I better see how that
                relates to others, and I find that Swami Satchidananda is
                only 1 bud (Hey Gene - whattayathinkadat?), and Swami Sivananda
                is only 2 1/2. So I recalibrate a few times, and then saw Matthew
                Files post that defines the values, and I see that 4.5 is:
                "4.5 vast enough for most, some reservations"
                Well, there's no doubt Papajeff isn't "for everybody", which is
                a 5 bud quailifier, and since others ratings have no reality, as
                the 2 Swami's demonstrate, I'm going with the 4.5. BTW, I have read
                Two Lions, and I'm sure that if those who put Jeff down read it
                without knowing who the author was, they would agree it was written
                by someone who "Knows", or some similar adjective. In any event, as

              • texasbg2000
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 3 9:27 AM
                  <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                  > > >I'll be back with results
                  > > >when they are published.
                  > > >Just thought this might be
                  > > >of interest to meditators
                  > > >and spiritual seekers.
                  >
                  > /YAWN/
                  >
                  > Ratings? Good God.
                  >
                  > At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
                  > everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained
                  with
                  > for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
                  > lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
                  > lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
                  > the fuzzies to bits:
                  >
                  > "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."
                  >
                  > So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
                  > afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
                  > figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.
                  >
                  > How about this:
                  >
                  > You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.
                  >
                  > You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that
                  makes
                  > you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than
                  > perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.
                  >
                  > Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be
                  so
                  > ill-equipped to meditate externally?
                  >
                  > Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the
                  hell
                  > not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
                  > how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
                  > externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
                  > the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?

                  Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
                  inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".

                  > Nina
                • Nina
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 3 9:34 AM
                    > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
                    > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".

                    You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?

                    We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
                    the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
                    in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
                    will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!

                    prickly, or was that, pricked,
                    Nina

                    P.S.
                    Here's one for you:

                    I've seen them down in the valley,
                    wild roses that grow by the side of the road,
                    and they don't really mind if you pick them
                    and they don't really care if you leave them alone.

                    Wild roses... Wild roses open their hearts gently by the by.
                    Wild roses grow unattended and nobody ever knows why.
                    When the sun goes down in the valley
                    there's music in the night that it brings,
                    and the roses quietly listen
                    to the song that the whipporwill sings.

                    Wild roses ... wild roses open their hearts gently by the by.
                    Wild roses grow unattended and nobody ever knows why.
                    You won't hear the sound of them leaving
                    as they softly fade into the snow,
                    and they don't really care if you pick them.
                    Wild roses just grow by the side of the road.
                    Wild roses just grow by the side of the road.

                    Words & Music: Kimmie Rhodes
                    Irving Music/Gracey-Rhodes Music
                  • satkartar7
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 3 9:49 AM
                      > J: snip
                      > >
                      > > I'll be back with results
                      > > when they are published.
                      > > Just thought this might be
                      > > of interest to meditators
                      > > and spiritual seekers.
                      > >
                      > > Meanwhile....
                      > >
                      > > OM
                      >
                      > Not wanting to do anything behind anyone's computer back,

                      I was curious and the way to see the
                      poll is to vote, so I voted 'no vote'

                      I dunno what that means, the poll
                      said 22% next to my vote and I don't undertsnad that either: because 22%
                      is not neutral; which I voted for

                      Karta

                      > here's a repost of mine to GuruRatings:
                      >
                      > So I'm sitting there checking out the poll, and I initially
                      > gave Jeff a 4.5. But then, I thought I better see how that
                      > relates to others, and I find that Swami Satchidananda is
                      > only 1 bud (Hey Gene - whattayathinkadat?), and Swami Sivananda
                      > is only 2 1/2. So I recalibrate a few times, and then saw Matthew
                      > Files post that defines the values, and I see that 4.5 is:
                      > "4.5 vast enough for most, some reservations"
                      > Well, there's no doubt Papajeff isn't "for everybody", which is
                      > a 5 bud quailifier, and since others ratings have no reality, as
                      > the 2 Swami's demonstrate, I'm going with the 4.5. BTW, I have read
                      > Two Lions, and I'm sure that if those who put Jeff down read it
                      > without knowing who the author was, they would agree it was written
                      > by someone who "Knows", or some similar adjective. In any event, as
                      > St. John Lennon said, "It's all in good fun, ya know:-)"
                      >
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob
                    • Jeff Belyea
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3 9:52 AM
                        Yes, it's a yawn.
                        It was early and
                        I was lonely.

                        I think we're tougher
                        on ourselves.

                        Best,

                        Jeff

                        <murrkis@y...> wrote:

                        > > >I'll be back with results
                        > > >when they are published.
                        > > >Just thought this might be
                        > > >of interest to meditators
                        > > >and spiritual seekers.
                        >
                        > /YAWN/
                        >
                        > Ratings? Good God.
                        >
                        > At the very conclusion of my teacher training, in the moment where
                        > everyone was preparing to bid adieu to fellows they had trained with
                        > for over a year, and the feelings were quite fuzzy, and the last
                        > lecture was on 'running a successful business' and 'marketing', the
                        > lecturer piped up with this curious little statement that blew all
                        > the fuzzies to bits:
                        >
                        > "25 percent of the people have already decided they don't like you."
                        >
                        > So, next thing you know, the fellows, peoples everyone of them,
                        > afterall, are peeping around the room, serruptitiously trying to
                        > figure out who their despising 25-percenters are.
                        >
                        > How about this:
                        >
                        > You have just had a migratory, digressive chain of thought.
                        >
                        > You have just recognized it is leading you in a direction that makes
                        > you feel physically ill and cross and serves no purpose other than to
                        > perpetuate the insidious internal dialogue.
                        >
                        > Isn't it curious that one so adept at meditation internally can be so
                        > ill-equipped to meditate externally?
                        >
                        > Well, Jeff, you could take that question personally (oh, why the hell
                        > not? lol), but it transitions nicely into a general question about
                        > how an internal mode of operation may or may not be reflected
                        > externally. Is there truth in the sense that what one puts out into
                        > the world is a reflection of how one deals with oneself?
                        >
                        > Nina
                      • cornelius
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3 11:21 AM
                          <jeff@s...> wrote:
                          > Well, this once humble
                          > and retiring meditation
                          > teacher, tucked quietly
                          > in the northeast corner
                          > of the US, has gone and
                          > done it.
                          >
                          > Those of you who have
                          > dual citizenship with
                          > this group and other groups
                          > on the Yahoo! circuit may
                          > know this, already.
                          >
                          > On the Yahoo! Group called
                          > Guru Ratings, moderated
                          > by "Sarlo", I have snarled
                          > and growled at the very
                          > premise for about a year.
                          >
                          > Finally, Sarlo himself
                          > has gone into a snarl,
                          > and posted a poll to "rate"
                          > the irascible persona that
                          > I bring into their midst.
                          > (If you were here in the
                          > days of the Jeff and Judi
                          > show, you've seen pretty
                          > much the full monty).
                          >
                          > What has this to do with
                          > meditation? I'm a long-term
                          > meditator (27 years and
                          > counting - I'm ready to
                          > stop counting) and it will
                          > be interesting to see how
                          > many rate according to
                          > what they have seen of me
                          > at that site, and how many
                          > actually look behind the
                          > mask (persona) to read
                          > information on my website
                          > and the files I have posted
                          > here and there about my
                          > lineage (as a guru) and
                          > my method (as a meditation
                          > teacher and motivational
                          > coach) and my enlightenment
                          > journey.
                          >
                          > Meditation may not do much
                          > to change the outward look
                          > and personality, but it does,
                          > in the world according to me,
                          > brings about dramatic emotional,
                          > psychological, and even possibly
                          > cellular-level changes.
                          > I am also convinced that it
                          > improves coordination and
                          > physical grace, that it
                          > not only relieve stress, but
                          > allow the meditator to take
                          > life's bump and grinds in
                          > stride and with equanimity
                          > in great part.
                          >
                          > Does bias effect fair judgment
                          > and intellect? Is it just
                          > an ego battle? Will this
                          > poll really answer any of
                          > that?
                          >
                          > I'll be back with results
                          > when they are published.
                          > Just thought this might be
                          > of interest to meditators
                          > and spiritual seekers.
                          >
                          > Meanwhile....
                          >
                          > OM

                          Hi Jeff,

                          I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
                          thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
                          his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
                          Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
                          take it seriously.

                          I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
                          Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
                          the "rated" Guru.

                          Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
                          you when your function here is not that of a Guru?

                          Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
                          Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
                          Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
                          my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
                          with HIM/HER.
                          My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
                          have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.

                          Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
                          and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
                          up the Guru mantle.

                          Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
                          to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
                          how do They rate you?"

                          At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
                          Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =
                          an "exceptional" Member. ;)

                          cjl
                        • mlcanow
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3 11:50 AM
                            Hi Jeff,
                            i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
                            attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
                            room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
                            About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
                            I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
                            about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
                            isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
                            possible to rate love?

                            maria luisa

                          • texasbg2000
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 3 12:40 PM
                              <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                              > > Very Nice Nina, Gurdjieff had a saying, "Roses outside, thorns
                              > > inside. Thorns outside, roses inside".
                              >
                              > You come from the land of wild roses, don't you?
                              >
                              > We have a bush of them in our sideyard. The roses come and go, but
                              > the thorns stick around. Allow me to assure you and Gurdjieff that,
                              > in the case of wild roses, if it is thorns on the outside, then it
                              > will assuredly be thorns on the inside, too! Ouch!
                              >
                              > prickly, or was that, pricked,
                              > Nina

                              There was a story about a bit of theater that Gurdjieff used to teach
                              his group one night. He picked two people of different temperaments
                              and said they would be part of an experiment.

                              One, a doctor who always took part in discussions, was very well
                              liked and knowledgable. He was a leader. The other participant was
                              a young retiring man who seldom spoke and people knew little about.

                              The person relating the story (I forget who), said that the first
                              part of the experiment would be secret but that after about an hour
                              had passed a strange transformation had taken place.

                              The doctor was immobilized and could not speak. The young man who
                              had been retiring was now holding forth at length on difficult topics.

                              The point was that what is on the surface is not necessarily
                              important and is not a good indicator of what is important.

                              Love
                              Bobby G.
                            • Jeff Belyea
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 3 1:31 PM
                                Thanks, cj.

                                Sarlo asked for the rating
                                from member of his group -
                                after a year of dealing with
                                my sometimes good-natured
                                and sometimes not so
                                good-natured antagonism.

                                I have challenged the concept
                                and been a major provocateur of
                                the GR site membership since I
                                first visited the group about a
                                year ago. That rate and I say
                                rating is bogus (to use a favorite
                                Sarlo term) at best. I've about
                                played my hand out there.

                                I never used the term Guru,
                                before coming upon Sarlo's
                                site, and while I have been
                                incredibly blessed and graced
                                with a powerful transformation
                                that saved by life, and began
                                speaking and "teaching" about
                                it almost immediately, the guru
                                persona is relatively new.

                                The tie to meditation is that
                                this happened while meditating.
                                What happened to me in the
                                midst of meditation and the
                                reports from Near-Death
                                Experiencers are startlingly
                                similar.

                                I wondered about this for
                                years, before coming a report
                                of yogis who went into deep
                                meditation and all but suspended
                                breathing, which decreases the
                                brain activity and its demand
                                for "energy" or "sugar" so much
                                that is one of the methods used
                                that is frequently precedent to
                                bringing on a nirvikalpa samadhi.

                                I went on to study meditation,
                                hypnosis, relaxation techniques,
                                raja yoga, and marketing communications
                                looking for ways to share this most
                                incredible experience. I'll
                                stop here.

                                Thanks for generous review.

                                Best,

                                Jeff

                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "cornelius"
                                <d_agenda2000@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                                > > at that site, and how many
                                > > actually look behind the
                                > > mask (persona) to read
                                > > information on my website
                                > > and the files I have posted
                                > > here and there about my
                                > > lineage (as a guru) and
                                > > my method (as a meditation
                                > > teacher and motivational
                                > > coach) and my enlightenment
                                > > journey.
                                > >
                                > > Meditation may not do much
                                > > to change the outward look
                                > > and personality, but it does,
                                > > in the world according to me,
                                > > brings about dramatic emotional,
                                > > psychological, and even possibly
                                > > cellular-level changes.
                                > > I am also convinced that it
                                > > improves coordination and
                                > > physical grace, that it
                                > > not only relieve stress, but
                                > > allow the meditator to take
                                > > life's bump and grinds in
                                > > stride and with equanimity
                                > > in great part.
                                > >
                                > > Does bias effect fair judgment
                                > > and intellect? Is it just
                                > > an ego battle? Will this
                                > > poll really answer any of
                                > > that?
                                > >
                                > > I'll be back with results
                                > > when they are published.
                                > > Just thought this might be
                                > > of interest to meditators
                                > > and spiritual seekers.
                                > >
                                > > Meanwhile....
                                > >
                                > > OM
                                >
                                > Hi Jeff,
                                >
                                > I don't know what to make of Sarlo's rating system. At first I
                                > thought that the site was meant only as a conversational piece for
                                > his group, apparently it has a Wider attraction.
                                > Indicative of the wider attraction is the number of folks who seem to
                                > take it seriously.
                                >
                                > I've visited the "bud" site only once and it seems that something
                                > Major is missing: there is not input by the disciples/students of the
                                > the "rated" Guru.
                                >
                                > Jeff, so you don't think it peculiar that you invite people to rate
                                > you when your function here is not that of a Guru?
                                >
                                > Who better to rate a Teacher/Guru then those who have Worked with the
                                > Guru, those who have been with the Guru through Thick and
                                > Thin....those who can Conclude either Yes, I have been benefitted by
                                > my association with HIM/HER or NO, I have not benefitted from being
                                > with HIM/HER.
                                > My questions to such a Disciple what then be ....so tell me, What
                                > have you learned and How have you changed, progressed and developed.
                                >
                                > Some here may say "Yes, Jeff is Insightful, Industrious, Experienced
                                > and Funny"....the same can be said about Others who have not "taken"
                                > up the Guru mantle.
                                >
                                > Perhaps before we do this "little" Guru rating thing, isn't it fair
                                > to Ask...."where are your Disciples (those who call you "Guru") and
                                > how do They rate you?"
                                >
                                > At this point, all I can rate is your Participation/Contribution as a
                                > Group Member (here and there): I cast my Vote for you...3 buds =

                              • Jeff Belyea
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 3 1:36 PM
                                  maria luisa -

                                  You are so sweet.

                                  You certainly know that
                                  the pure love is reciprocal.
                                  My suggestion is that you
                                  stay away from this group.

                                  They call themselves Guru
                                  Raters but they are not
                                  always kind. Of course, I
                                  admittedly come in with
                                  a chip on my shoulder
                                  and invite some rough
                                  stuff. You would be
                                  received much differently
                                  I am sure.

                                  All the love,

                                  Jeff

                                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "mlcanow"
                                  <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Jeff,
                                  > i am not a memeber of guru ratings. It really hadn't picked my
                                  > attention up, but now, observing that so many of you go into that
                                  > room to chat, maybe i take a step forward in entering too.
                                  > About rating you.....the least i can do is laugh and laugh!
                                  > I know you personally, i know you heartedly, and i cannot think
                                  > about you,(for rating it is neccesary to think, compare, judge,
                                  > isn't it?) i can only feel you, and that feeling is pure love. Is it
> [...]
                                • satkartar7
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 3 4:50 PM
                                    > Thanks, cj.
                                    >
                                    > Sarlo asked for the rating