The skein

  • mlcanow
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      Dear all,
      although this issue has been presented in each and every way, i feel
      somewhat creative today and found a simile or metaphor that would
      like to share with you.

      There are thread skeins that are very easy to unravel, there are
      skeins that
      are a complete bundle.
      When we buy a new skein, it is very easy to make use of it in a
      continuous
      and ordered way.
      Some times we go too far in the use of the thread, or we are too
      careless,
      or something unexpected happens that makes the skein roll over the
      floor,
      loosing its immaculate purity and somewhat desperate or hurried,
      we pretend to pick up the excess of loose thread making a ball that
      most of the time results in a tangled mess. When we come to use this
      thread
      again, it becomes much more difficult to pull of the thread again
      and we must
      take our time to untangle the mess that we did by ourselves.

      If we get stunned or become nervous, maybe we need someone to help
      us,
      and with more calmness than what we are able to afford, gives us a
      hand to
      restore the order in the skein,leaving it as a new one for a more
      efficient ussage.
      On observing the one who is helping us, if we are aware enough, we
      will realize
      that it is simply his tranquility and patience what is neccesary to
      do the work by
      ourselves.

      The help may also come from the use of some instrument or machine
      that we
      are able to manipulate.
      But we must be calm enough to make the appropriate use of the
      instrument.

      Let's imagine that our mind is that tangled skein. And in our
      incapacity of
      achieving a better efficacy (read peace), we need of some help. Some
      times
      this help comes in the form of what we come to call a master.
      The master is neccesary according to the characteristics of each
      mental skein.
      A mind in equilibrium, pure, cryrtaline, stable, does not requires
      of masters.
      Some times it is not a master, but an event, a mountain, the sea,
      the chanting
      of a bird, the tenderness of a baby, the spontaneous proccess of
      nature, all of
      this teaches us, and may be equivalent to what a master does. At
      last, what
      we learn is to be stable.
      The understanding of this may stay in the stability itself or may
      transcend it.

      I say all this, because i have noticed that some times the issue
      about masters
      is mis interpreted .
      A master is neither good nor bad, it's only what happens in our
      minds from the
      contact we may have with him what we may qualify as good or bad.
      Everythig that brings us nearer to peace,to stability, is good. And
      if some help
      or pointings are needed for that, what can be better than finding
      the hand that
      takes ours lovingly and holds them together in an attitude of
      surrenderness.
      From a pure mind, in equilibrium (stable) or surrendered, by pure
      grace can
      happen a fussion which never again allows these hands to separate
      again.
      Realization does not depend on any master, it only depends on a mind
      that
      has stopped functioning, leaving only pure awareness in its place.

      And about the compassion of the master, why does he help?
      Does this come from a personal need?

      As I see it, an authentic master is the pure side of the thread in
      the profoundity,
      in the core of the ball or skein.
      This pure thread, immaculate, new, is the same thread of the
      exterior of the
      skein and by its own nature and its spontaneity, there is the
      feeling that the
      purest, cleanest or orderly the external thread is,
      the more equilibrium may be in the totality of the skein.

      maria luisa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2003
        "mlcanow" <mlcanow@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > grace can
        > happen a fussion which never again allows these hands to separate
        > again.
        > Realization does not depend on any master, it only depends on a mind
        > that
        > has stopped functioning, leaving only pure awareness in its place.
        >

        > And about the compassion of the master, why does he help?
        > Does this come from a personal need?
        >
        > As I see it, an authentic master is the pure side of the thread in
        > the profoundity,
        > in the core of the ball or skein.
        > This pure thread, immaculate, new, is the same thread of the
        > exterior of the
        > skein and by its own nature and its spontaneity, there is the
        > feeling that the
        > purest, cleanest or orderly the external thread is,
        > the more equilibrium may be in the totality of the skein.

        Dear Maria Louisa,
        You spin a wonderful yarn:-) Thank you.