purpose of art Re: Art and the Challenge of Change

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 11:05 AM
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > bobby wrote:
      > > <<I think the real question can be
      > > stated as a pro and con. The
      > > proposition:
      > >
      > > Structure limits Creativity.
      > >
      > > I say no, and take the con position.
      > > Take the dancer who learns the
      > > parameters of bodily motion. An
      > > immense structure of empirical
      > > knowledge. Then when the beat
      > > takes the body and the inner melody
      > > reacts, the soul is released to
      > > perform with additional elements not
      > > able to be accessed by the person who
      > > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
      > > the music. The satisfaction and
      > > expression is much greater.>>
      > >

      > > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
      > >
      > > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
      > >
      > > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
      > > and the theme that was returned to
      > > again and again was:
      > >
      > > It takes first being disciplined and learning
      > > the rules of the art, and then you can
      > > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
      > > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
      > >
      > > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
      > > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
      > > So, i really don't understand what you were
      > > saying in your original response to the article
      > > when you mentioned those other things.
      > >
      > > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
      > > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
      > > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
      > > process in getting in touch with what lies
      > > in the well....the light and the shadow.
      >
      > This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
      > what is the purpose of this creativity?
      >
      > Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
      > possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
      > forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.
      >
      > Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
      > sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
      > suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
      > the art is refined?

      I don't think so but someone may take it that way easily enough. I
      don't paint to explore myself. When I look at a picture that is done
      I generally learn something about myself though. Everyone has a job
      and mine is to make pictures and teach others how to do it the way I
      do.

      If ART were so small that one person's taste could encompass it then
      it wouldn't be very human.

      Love
      Bobby G.